Favorite Blue Marlin Teaser?

Discussion in 'Strictly Billfish' started by zanegler, Dec 22, 2011.

?

Favorite Blue Marlin Teaser

1. Bowling Pin

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. Witch Doctor

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Fender Teaser

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Dredge or Chain

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. No Teaser

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. zanegler

zanegler Bomboy Lures Are Money!

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
    Which is your favorite hookless teaser.........or do you prefer no hookless teaser? Bomboy does not use any hookless teaser since the additional time clearing one can cost you a beast, when one of these living submarines is smoking the line off your reel.

Other captains don't like them since some Blue marlin will come in focused on the teaser and leave once they loose interest.

Bomboy likes to call his huge Magilla Gorilla his teaser with 13/0 hooks.

Attached Files:

2. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    You don't have my favorite option listed. I love pulling 2 massive, oversize lures right on the 2nd wave.

3. zanegler

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Kyle, sorry mang. Do you run them on separate teaser lines?

What do you do if a donkey-sized blue comes in and chomps on the teaser........and then leaves? Cry a little?

I know you run some Bomboy's, but I humbly suggest putting an extra rod out for this short line and running the Bomboy Magilla, with 13/0 or bigger hook(s) on it. The action on the Magilla is obscene. One look at one on the short corner will have you convinced. I wish I had some video footage of it running to post-up. I know of at-least one Grander taken on the Magilla.

On the types of boat you are fishing from, I think you have plenty of room to add a sixth hooked lure.

Of course, there are plenty of other good jumbo lures to choose from, I'm just sayin'.

For extra-credit, you should rig the Magilla with vinyl skirts. This is a subject for a whole separate thread.

Attached Files:

4. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Zane,

We run 2 teasers off of the flybridge teaser reels when we are trolling for big game. I like a lot of the options you included in the poll but still prefer two over-sized lures simply because of how easy they are to get out of the water.

When using a witch doctor (preferred teaser when trolling live bait), a dredge, or a bowling pin chain one person in the cockpit essentially becomes dedicated/responsible for getting the teaser out of the water. This is not a big deal but I do not think that any of the listed teasers bring in significantly more fish than other teasers (argument can be made that a dredge does) so I think it is more useful to have the extra eyes and hands focused on the entire spread, not just a teaser. In terms of attracting fish I think the boat does most of the work anyways....

The reason I like 2 huge lures as teasers is because I don't like putting hooks in them! I love the action of big lures like the magilla, tado, big blue breakfast, some bigger Marlin Magic stuff, etc. but I feel like they are giant de-hookers sitting 18 inches from the hook just working it loose. Plus, normal hook up ratios from trolling are not good as it is (Probably 25 to 35%) and I think that it is even lower with big lures.

As far as what do when a big fish chooses a lure without a hook in it, well, isn't that the same as if it gets on a bowling pin chain, dredge or fender teaser? Even though they are lures we are using them as "teasers" so they are filling the same role in the spread. We skip a rigged sierra back into the spread when a blue or black pops up. If it is a stripey, sail or dorado we skip a ballyhoo.

One frustrating thing I have noticed is that most of the time it's the small stripeys and sailfish that come in after the big teasers that are up close. When there are smaller billfish around we pull 1 big lure and 1 daisy chain. 9 out of 10 times if it is a single striper or sailfish they come up on the big lure or the stinger (complete opposites!) not the daisy chain. If we are pulling 2 daisy chains, 9 out of 10 fish stripeys and sails seem to come up on one of them. Confusing isn't it?

With blues we have noticed that they tend to come up on a certain spot in the spread. For example, during the East Cape Bisbee in July we had 11 blue marlin bites in the 3 tournament fishing days. 10 of the 11 initial bites came on the stinger position. Only 1 blue came up on the short rigger. In October the fish were coming up on the teasers and short lures so we pulled all soft stuff in the teaser positions, mostly moldcraft wide ranges. We got most of the fish on drop back baits during that time period.

I try to center my fishing opinions logically around experiences I have had. How good those opinions are is questionable at best but, luckily for me, I am normally the weak member of the team.

PS
    All the big lures that do occasionally go over the transom with hooks have vinyl skirts.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. zanegler

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Kyle,

What a great, detailed, reply. I probably should have more clear, as I do agree that having a big lure vs. the other teasers is no different. Lot's of stories about a big Blue chomping down on a fender teaser, and even the Witch Doctor. That is why I chose 'No Teaser' as my choice in the poll. Interesting that the no-teaser option is leading the poll.

I thought the comment about the Blues coming up on the same spot in the pattern is very interesting.

I have also, indeed noticed that the Stripey's seem to love the Magilla, but do have a hard time getting hooked. They especially seem to love the Magilla in the sloppy water. In calm water, I don't see that as much.

Most eveything I know, I learned from Bomboy. He recommends wrapping a rubber-band around the top of the leader nearest the swivel, almost like you would wrap one on the outrigger for a live-bait. When the blue hauls-ass in the opposite direction, it drives the lure up onto the rubber-band where it hopefully remains for the rest of the fight. Now it is 15 or-so feet away from the lure where it won't be the lever that it would be right next to the hook.

Having said that, I agree that small lures have better hook-up to capture/release ratio's than big lures.

I also agree with the comment about the boat being the biggest teaser. I feel that running teasers on smaller boats makes some sense, as a way to compensate for the diminished draw of the boat.

Bomboy's 1258.5 came up on a good-sized lure, the Scarface. She didn't stay hooked, and came back and ate the diminutive Baby locknut....the rest is history.

Attached Files:

6. Mikeyhunts

Mikeyhunts Newbie

Name:
    Mike P
    Boat:
    Brake Time
    Awesome reading for a Newbie.
    Thanks guys.

7. Mongo76

Mongo76 Newbie

Name:
    Darin
    Boat:
    Sea Swirl 22, Blondie, 50 Silverton Flora T, 50 Silverton The Other Office
    We have changed our set up a little. We used to run four big lures (Blue Breakfast, Marlin Candy, Super Plunger, Gorilla). Now we run 3 with something small or drag a squid chain from the short rigger. The reason being is to find life. If I am just fishing for one bite from big mamma I want to find what she is feeding on, or feeding with (Dorado, tuna, Smaller marlin). I now always run a prospecor in the pattern somewhere either rigged or as a teaser. Not to mention a big fish will pile on a small lure sometimes.

8. bayougt

bayougt EL CAPITAN

Name:
    Capt Chris Starrs
    Boat:
    Sails Tactic & Sails Pitch- 35 Bertram & Carolina Classic
    On my boat in Guatemala I have a several senior Mold craft 4 eye monster in Blood red teasers for my short teaser. Sometimes by themselves or with a daisy chain in front. In fact I recently stumbled across this color success for sail fish on the fly. They don't offer it as a regular color so you will have to custom order it. When ever I hear marlin on the radio, I swap out whatever I am using for one of those red teasers.

Capt Starrs
    www.thesailfishcapital.com
    Blue Bayou Lodge Guatemala

9. zanegler

Name:
    zane
    Boat:
    Some great information here. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I find it interesting that 'No Teaser' is winning by a pretty statistically relevant margin.

I think a good compromise is using something like an Archer spreader bar with one of the standard squids as a chase bait, or my personal favorite a Bomboy Baby Bullet, Psycho, Baby Locknut, or Mini-G as the chase bait.

10. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    i was pulling a homemade version of a witchdoctor painted up like a mahimahi, roughly15 feet behind it would be an archer fatboy daisy bar with one of his 15"mahi squids as chasebait. gave an appearance of a couple mahi crashing squid.