Fathom VS Avet

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by M4ttt0, Feb 26, 2015.

1. M4ttt0

M4ttt0 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Party Party
    I have been seeing a lot of threads that talk about the fathom vs the okuma but i dont see many people talking about the fathom VS the Avet. Im debating on either getting another Avet mxj 6/4 or the fathom 25nld2. I currently love my Avet, it has great freespool and has done everything ive asked it without breaking down. Now for the question, is the factor that the Fathom has a thrust bearing make it superior to the mxj now? what is the size difference physically between the 2 (i have small hands)?

Thanks for any input you guys have.

Eelkram and Kola chaser like this.
  2. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Baja Bound
    I like the SX better. Looks better and is a better size in my opinion. But the fathom has superior drag and won't have pinion bearing failure.

mike1010 and tanner.s like this.
  3. M4ttt0

M4ttt0 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Party Party
    BUMP!!!! anyone else have any input?

4. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The Fathom drag may be better, but the Avet feels stronger (and better) to me. It is also made in the US. And if you spring for the Avet Raptor, the Fathom drag advantage evaporates. Note too that the Avet is machined and anodized aluminum while the Fathom is painted cast aluminum. And the Avet is made in the US.

5. Epp

Epp Member

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    none
    i fish avets, i won a Fathom 15 before they came out nice reel and everything. gave to my wife she loves it.
    but of what i know my avets can do i wouldnt trade trade them.
    thats is the only thing bad with the avets is the pinion bearing failure. if they can get that fixed with a better bearing that would be nice but.
    i have 2 mxj 2 speeds and fish bass to 30-40 tuna with then and i have no worries about how the reel works

fish what you fill comfortable with as well if you dont your going to have that thought that u cant get the fish and you might take that extra time and lose a fish
    both guys that posted before me made good points
    good luck finding your reel

i pick avet

JTL750 likes this.
  6. oetheous

oetheous Newbie

Name:
    richard
    Boat:
    mako
    I have both.... a few avets and one fathom 15ld. Size-wise, its like a slightly longer sx.

Some comments about the fathom.... I like their ergonomics, slightly more refined than my avet. The handle is longer, the reel is easier to palm and feels more comfortable when you're fishing. I also like their dual dog anti-reverse which has significantly less handle play than the avet... and most other reels. Overall the reel feels nice when you hold it. I'm pretty impressed with this Chinese made reel.

With that said, I still like my avets.... Haha.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    christmd likes this.
  7. hendo7

hendo7 jackass

Name:
    NEIL
    Boat:
    25 downeastern pilot house
    totally agree

8. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

9. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Externally Avet is built tougher and more durable than the Penn Fathom Lvr Drags but,................ the Penns are internally stronger, better built. If you regularly sell reels(every couple years) and want the best today(for your $) go with the Penn.You can always sell 'em when the next best stuff comes along. If you want something to keep for many years that'll get the job done good enough then go with Avet. To me the Penns have better technology and functional features and that's why I own the 25N and 40N Fathom ld's.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    FishAcquisition, mboy and mrwilson99 like this.
  10. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Avet reels have performed for years in capable hands fished within their limits (modest top end to their drag). Pushed too hard, and the problems with pinion bearings are well known.

If you are a guy who doesn't stress hammering the drag down and has a little finesse the Avets are still highly recommended and Made in USA which is always gonna count for something in my book. But they are less a reel I would want to be fishing near the bottom and more of an open water/surface reel to let them run. Never a reel I would push to Full to snub a fish without a second thought.

If you need something more, there are always the Raptors too.

If you want to push that size lever drag a little harder and snub them short of structure and don't want to spring for a Raptor there is the Fathom. I wish they had a gloss finish as from the outside the reels don't look special at all, insides, is top notch.

Its always a case of knowing what you have in your hands and using it appropriately. Hopefully Avet will get off their duff and make this simple change to their reels and use a Thrust Bearing. I really hate having to put in the caveat "dont push them too hard or you are headed for early replacement of the pinion bearing" whenever they come up.

Its almost as bad as the dry drag thing. Behind the times.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Olddog8, J.AkuHed, falconer and 6 others like this.
  11. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I own an MXL single speed, and sx 2 speed, and a LX raptor. I also own a penn fathom 12, torque 25N star, and torque 25N LD 2 speed. I would without hesitation rank the torque as the best ones...

However, if you are comparing an Avet to a fathom lever drag, definitely I would pick the Avet. The fathom is a great reel, but the Avet is better, and easier to service yourself(IMO).

middleofnowhere and hendo7 like this.
  12. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    And, what he said ^^^

13. titos334

titos334 VIP Elite Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Rainbow Surprise
    I think I'd pick the Fathoms over the regular Avets, the Raptors over the Fathom and the Torque over the Raptors. I don't think the Penn's are a giant upgrade, certainly not enough of one to sell all the Avets and switch brands. But, if you don't have an Avet and were considering, I'd go with the Penns. Avets fish best for a specific line size, the Fathom's can fish a wider range more comfortably I'd say. If you're looking for like a 30-50lb reel or just reels to cover multiple line classes so you can just switch out topshots based on the bite, Penn all day.

buddaisis, J.AkuHed, XBDEE and 2 others like this.
  14. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I do this with my Avets, fish 30lb to 60lb comfortably on a JX raptor by changing top shot

15. lonehawkstation

lonehawkstation FORE~

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    None
    I agree with the previous comments that Avets are better made outside and the Penn Fathom has better internal features/technologies. Dry drags (Pro/Con debatable) and no thrust bearing :shake: in the Avets, including their Raptors. For the money, I would go with the Fatom. If you want to look cool and get "wow"s, buy an Avet.

mboy likes this.
  16. gary760

gary760 Member

Name:
    GARY
    Boat:
    none
    The fathom lever drags have been out for about a year now, I own a couple, I have yet to hear of anyone having any sort of a problem with one, They are very light and have incredibly high specification for the price. OK they have a die cast (and painted- I think frame) and not a shiny anodised fully machined frame like the torques and avets but the fish will never know and the strength of die cast aluminum is well proven in reels that cost much more than either a fathom or a torque. And for all you buy American guys I think that there are a significant number of major componants inside the fathom LD that are made in the USA. (I also like the unassuming black Stealth/Batman styling)

Regards Gary

mboy likes this.
  17. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Mike Rice (PENN Business Manager) recently said that the Stainless Steel gears are machined here then shipped to the factory overseas for assembly.

18. mboy

mboy Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    21 CC
    I own 4 Avets- 2sx, 1 mxl,1 HX 2 and 4 Fathom LD's - 40NLD2, 30ld2, 30ld and a 60ld2.

AS others have said. The Avet is prettier and has the bling factor. The Fathom is a better reel period.

19. jtj0026

jtj0026 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    n/a
    Consider only a little over $200 cost of a Fathom 2-speed with better drag and excellent quality, I would go for a Fathom. Even the smallest FTH15LD2 can fish a 50 LB top-shot still maintain perfect free-spool no problem and it casts a mile. Avet gets a lion share of the market therefore a lot of fans who could be bias.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    buddaisis and mcrae like this.
  20. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    I own two Avet JX 6/3's, a 25N and a 40N Fathom. Avets are almost too easy to service. The fathoms have A LOT more parts, and things to consider when cracking open solo. That thrust bearing makes a big difference though. Shame really, considering the Avets are made here. Penn got it right with the fathoms with price point and build. I could give a f#*k about how pretty they are, they work. Period. #thrust bearing