Fathom lever drags, greased?

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by bueller, Jul 26, 2015.

1. bueller

bueller Desert Dweller

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    nope
    I just picked up a 25NLD2 and was wondering if the drag is greased from the factory and if not should it be? I usually grease all my drags with Cal's.

2. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    All of PENN's lever drag models [from Squalls to Internationals] for the last 7-8 years have had "Dura-Drag", which is PENN's proprietary lubed carbon material.
    The stuff is amazing, and for owners of older Internationals, it can be retrofit onto models dating back up to around 25 years [depending on exact model].
    I was speaking with PENN's service manager, and he said he has yet to replace a set of Dura-Drags due to wearing out.
    To answer the specific question; no, do not add grease to the drags of the 25NLD2.

3. bueller

bueller Desert Dweller

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    nope
    Thank you for the quick reply. This is my first lever drag and of course first 2 speed.

4. sundaytrucka

sundaytrucka Fish or Die

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
    Hey Steve,

I heard on Alan's site that the Penn Blue Grease (great product you guys put out) can also be used to grease the drags. Is this true?

Appropriate to use on lever drags and star drag reels alike?

Thanks.

5. bueller

bueller Desert Dweller

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    nope
    Cal's is better when the drag gets hot. It's been proven that Cal's breaks down less than other greases under heated conditions.

6. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The PENN blue grease is what is used during manufacture for star drags, but not lever drags which use the "Dura-Drag" material.
    The Dura-Drag is comparable to Cal's, and if Dura-Drags need re-lubing due to extreme use [a rare occurrence], Cal's products can be used since Penn sells only the washers themselves and not the proprietary lube.

7. bueller

bueller Desert Dweller

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    nope
    Is Dura-Drag a grease? I was going to put Cal's on my 25N but chose not too based on your recommendation. I do use the blue grease on pretty much everything else.

8. tunanorth

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Dura-Drag is PENN's proprietary lubed carbon fiber drag material, and should not have anything added to it except under unusual circumstances; possibly if your reel gets submerged, requiring a full breakdown and stripping.
    It is not sold to the public, except as a "part" for specific models.
    It is not usable at this time for star drag reels, though the engineers tell me they continue to try to find a way to use it with those also.

9. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    dang.. good thing Im learning a lot abouth Penn LD reels before opening mine for a pre-service, I was going to put some Cals grease on the Drag sheet, but I wont after reading this.

pretty much all I have to do its to take some of the grease on the spool shaft out and add drop of reel X to acomplish longer free spool spins, not that I will cast this reel a lot, but it will help on live bait fishing