Advertiser
Jan 26, 2012
Philadelphia, PA, USA
www.pennfishing.com
Name
PENN
Boat
PENN
We have been receiving and seeing complaints in service regarding Fathom LD max drag before losing free spool. We identified a concern a couple years back with too much grease in the reel causing sluggish free spool regardless of drag setting, we corrected this issue with our factory. Recently we began hearing a similar complaint but free spool was fine with low drag amounts but slowing down prior to the reel achieving the published max drag. We identified this problem as a missing 154B distant washer, we have notified our factory and they corrected the mistake. If anyone has a Fathom LD reel with this issue, I would recommend sending the reel in with a copy of this message to our Service Center in Philadelphia. Since this is considered warranty it will be bumped to the top of our backlog. Alternatively, if anyone is confident and can pull the spool apart to check and see if one of the washers is missing, we can send the washer out to be installed. We will just need the info on the sticker, it reads something like (example) 01D19AO and is located on the stand/foot of the reel.

If the reel is not fairly new and free spool issues arise, other reasons could affect free spool as well, we had someone tightening the preset while the lever was in full and buggered up the cam and cam follower. Spool bearings need to be cleaned and oiled occasionally and could slow the speed, etc. These user errors or normal wear and tear would not be covered under warranty.

PENN FISHING
ATTN FATHOM LD WARRANTY
3028 WEST HUNTING PARK AVE
PHILA PA 19132

Include a copy of this Post along with the reel and return address.

tony

Last edited:

jmch75

Almost A Member
Apr 28, 2017
San Diego
Name
Joe Curly
Boat
None
Nice work Tony and Steve!

And..folks, that's why I'm a fan. They step right up, stand behind their products, and offer a great solution if you are impacted.

Well Done!!

Upvote 0

AlexO

Mar 22, 2021
San Jose
Name
Alex
Boat
Striper 1850
Tony, recently I bought 2 Phantom 40 reels - both have the same problem. I can install the washers myself - should I pm you with the information? Or what's the preferred way to get the washers?

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    This works. Opened mine up, saw one washer. got one from another reel and now gets 18lbs of drag at strike, and too much at full. this is with full freespool.

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    Tony/Steve,

To be clear, this is ONLY for Fathom 40N LDs?

Pitchinwedge
    Pitchinwedge
    What about TRQ owners? Is there a similar solution for the TRQ15XNLD2and 25NLD2?
    Upvote 0
    J
    jmch75
    @Pitchinwedge I'm guessing your comment is really directed to Penn/Steve so I would have expected it to be made under the response(s) made by either of them, and not to my inquiry.
    Upvote 0
    Pitchinwedge
    Pitchinwedge
    Correct. I thought I was making a regular post, but botched it by using a phone. Thanks for clarifying
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Tony, recently I bought 2 Phantom 40 reels - both have the same problem. I can install the washers myself - should I pm you with the information? Or what's the preferred way to get the washers?
    I Would also like to know how to go about doing this if we wish to install the washers on our own.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    :appl::appl::appl:Standing up for your product, well done!

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    i swapped the cam in my 40n with my 30. the jump was slightly higher on my fathom 30s cam than the 40s (like a .5 mm difference), I now get 20lbs at strike with full free spool, and used to get about 10lbs it also gets a lot less sideload than when you add the extra flat washer.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Tony/Steve,

To be clear, this is ONLY for Fathom 40N LDs?

As far as I have seen, only the 40N's have the washer issue. Any other model with decreased freespool has been due to excess grease, usually between the left sideplate and spool.

Reactions: jmch75
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    i tested my 40n with actual a scale now, After installing the new cam i now get up to 30lbs of drag at STRIKE and around 40lbs at FULL, well over 50 at SUNSET. this is with full freespool.... There is also barely any sideload. Extremely pleased with the way this thing preforms now.

Reactions: wahoononi
    Upvote 0

PENN

Service Team
    Advertiser
    Jan 26, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    www.pennfishing.com
    Name
    PENN
    Boat
    PENN
    Yes correct the Torque's LD's do not have the washers, I believe the issue you are having is unrelated with the reel being 3 years old. I can still send you a washer if you want to attempt to add it.

tony

Upvote 0

dink1987

Dec 23, 2004
    California
    Boat
    none
    Tony, I had a similar drag issue with one of my 40N reels, but it did have both 154B washers. It seemed like the thrust bearing was rubbing on the adjacent 55L bearing and adding a second washer 8 between them seemed to have fixed the issue.

Have you encountered this before? The reel was purchased new just over 3 years ago and had the issue from the start.

Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat
    wurtdirt
    Saw this post, sent Tony a message and he sent me a washer. Installed in 5 min and it resolved the issue. Now I get plenty of drag at strike and way to much at sunset without loosing a like of freespool. Thanks Penn

Upvote 0