PENN

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
City of Orange
Name
Bayron
Boat
I Wish I had 1
Just got off an epic 1.5 day trip on the Pacific Queen. 30 blue fin tuna over 100lbs. I managed go bag me one on my Penn Fathom 40nld2 loaded with 500yds 80lb maxcuatro and 50yds of 80lb mono. I thought I would be under gunned but after catching this 113.6lbr (weighted at the dock) I have a new found respect and confidence in this reel. 1st fish caught on it too. My drag was set at 28bls on strike off the top of spool and I didn't need any more then that to get this guy in. Being that this is my 1st 100lber I will remember this forever and forever love my Fathom.

Thanks guys and a special thanks to The Pacific Queen and its crew. Epic trip

Screenshot_20210615-105913_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210615-105906_Gallery.jpg

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Great job!

Reactions: Bchbum54
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Damn big boy, that fish never had a chance.
Eat well my friend.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Good to know I have a new 40nld with 80lb and a 60 with 100lb that need to catch a couple triple digit fish, going 1.5 next week for a shot at it hope I have that smile you have in your pic , thanks for the report!!!

Reactions: kimbo and Bchbum54
    Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Yeah, I'm 6'5" and pushing 320. I lost one 30 minutes into the fight when it spiralled under the boat at deep color. This one was not so fortunate but I was beat after back to back fights
    Bullshit, those fish were busy being pissed off teenager fish and you beat them down fishing heavier then they could pull against.

That bluefin learned that there’s always a bigger fish lol. Way to go man, that’s awesome.

Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    The 40NLD3 is capable of more, closer to 200#"s, in a pinch. If fish @ 200#'s are regularly coming over the rail, I'd rather have a 16 or 20 VISX. NICE EATS, CONGRATS!

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Just got off an epic 1.5 day trip on the Pacific Queen. 30 blue fin tuna over 100lbs. I managed go bag me one on my Penn Fathom 40nld2 loaded with 500yds 80lb maxcuatro and 50yds of 80lb mono. I thought I would be under gunned but after catching this 113.6lbr (weighted at the dock) I have a new found respect and confidence in this reel. 1st fish caught on it too. My drag was set at 28bls on strike off the top of spool and I didn't need any more then that to get this guy in. Being that this is my 1st 100lber I will remember this forever and forever love my Fathom.

Thanks guys and a special thanks to The Pacific Queen and its crew. Epic trip

View attachment 1290071

View attachment 1290072
    👌

Upvote 0

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
    City of Orange
    Name
    Bayron
    Boat
    I Wish I had 1
    Congrats! Probably around 120-130lb prior to gill and gut.
    How long was the fight?

The fight was fun. Considering that I lost one that spiraled under the boat after a 30 minute fight minutes before hooking this guy; I was tired. The bite was WFO and the crew kept everyone hyped. They kept yelling "you can rest all you want on the boat ride home, get a line in!" Lol

Reactions: Tackleho619
    Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    The fight was fun. Considering that I lost one that spiraled under the boat after a 30 minute fight minutes before hooking this guy; I was tired. The bite was WFO and the crew kept everyone hyped. They kept yelling "you can rest all you want on the boat ride home, get a line in!" Lol

110lber last trip on 40nld2, 80#braid, 80#flouro took me about 25 minutes to bring in fishing 17lb at strike. Same size fish under 10 min using 24lb at strike. A few pound of drag makes a surprising difference. Completely sapped afterwards, mainly from the first fish.

Hoping one day i get to bump it way up midfight 🙃.

Reactions: dsl and Bchbum54
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    110lber last trip on 40nld2, 80#braid, 80#flouro took me about 25 minutes
    So in your opinion the 40nld2 stands up with others in it's class, and you have had no problems? great job on the 110lber!

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    So in your opinion the 40nld2 stands up with others in it's class, and you have had no problems? great job on the 110lber!
    I haven’t fished many reels, i own 25,30,40 2 speed fathoms and a 16visx.

The 40 is the most versatile.I like how lightweight it is and the narrow spool makes cranking jigs for hours on end a breeze.

I use it the most and have faith it can handle bigger fish.

I swap over to the visx at night when the fish are really biting or the big ones are around.

Reactions: kbray001 and dsl
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

The 40 is the most versatile.I like how lightweight it is and the narrow spool makes cranking jigs for hours on end a breeze.

I swap over to the visx at night when the fish are really biting or the big ones are around.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Senko888
    Upvote 0

racecarchamp

May 30, 2018
    ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    none

How would you compare the Visx16 to the fathom40?

Reactions: Ventura Bill
    Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Fk no. One is a heavy framed reel that fishes heavy 100lb in a light package. The other is a medium framed reel that has a sweet spot of 60lb. Even the Torque LD is a 60lb reel at heart.

Biggest difference is actually gearing. The VISX series pull fking hard. Bigger gears at lower gear ratios. Even the VISX 12 far out classes the 40Ns.

Upvote 0

racecarchamp

May 30, 2018
    ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    none
    I was using a Daiwa Proteus PTB76XHF. It's a versatile stiff rod. I was planning on using this combo as my sinker rig but had to use it as my flat fall set up in a pinch and it handled it nicely
    How do you like the Proteus76XHF? I was looking to pair one with a VISX16 but wasn't sure if it would be a better match on the 76XXHF? Seems like you say the XH handled the 100+ fish with ease. Then again your a pretty stout dude.

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    How would you compare the Visx16 to the fathom40?
    Beefier heavy frame vs medium frame.

Noticeable power difference once a fish is hooked. If i caught my second one on the same 40nld2 i would have had to hand it off.

Although the 40 can fish higher drag settings, it will impact the freespool so i try to keep it under 25lbs.

Visx is heavier, but it wasn’t uncomfortable and I didn’t have a problem cranking flatfalls with it for many many hours.

Very happy with both. If you told me there weren’t any fish over 150lbs i’d go with the 40. If there were bigger fish mixed in, I’d go with the visx just for the insurance.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I have taken a couple 90’s with the PRTB 70xhf easily but not sure how far past 100 I’d want to go. I have the 70xxhf but haven’t caught anything over 55-60 with it yet.

Reactions: racecarchamp
    Upvote 0

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
    City of Orange
    Name
    Bayron
    Boat
    I Wish I had 1
    How do you like the Proteus76XHF? I was looking to pair one with a VISX16 but wasn't sure if it would be a better match on the 76XXHF? Seems like you say the XH handled the 100+ fish with ease. Then again your a pretty stout dude.

I don't think Daiwa makes a 76XXHF. I think they have a 7XXHF, which is 7'. I would more rather pair VISX16 with the 7XXHF. I was definitely pushing the limits on the rod. I never felt like I was pushing the limit on the 40nld2. I definitely did wish I had a T-handle on. T-handle would make a huge difference for sure

Reactions: racecarchamp
    Upvote 0

racecarchamp

May 30, 2018
    ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    none
    I don't think Daiwa makes a 76XXHF. I think they have a 7XXHF, which is 7'. I would more rather pair VISX16 with the 7XXHF. I was definitely pushing the limits on the rod. I never felt like I was pushing the limit on the 40nld2. I definitely did wish I had a T-handle on. T-handle would make a huge difference for sure
    Yep, I DBL checked and you are right. The XXHF only comes in 7'. Thank you for your feedback!

Upvote 0