Fathom 40LD2 drag curve along the drag lever ratchet

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by steelfish, Apr 25, 2016.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    first let me start that Im new to LD reels, and choosen this reel to be my First ever LD reel and my first ever 2-speed reel at the same time, to tons of questions since opening the box LOL, I really love it, the size and narrow spool, and know many of the advantages over other regular LD reels but it also have a lot of differences with any star drag reel, Im a Penn guy, have a Baja Special, jigmaster, have 113h project (tankening it on phases) and 320gti that cover almost all my fishing needs.

the only other LD reel that I have previously used was an Avet LX and it was used for few moments only, on real fishing situations.

on the avets when you move the lever that moves on the Drag setttings you can feel a bump when you are on bait and go to strike and go to Full, but on those reels you dont have middle marks or clicks, just 3 steps, bait, then strike and full, but on the Fathom I can see some small numbers 1,2,3, then Strike then full and sunset when you push the stoper buttom.
    I dont know if 1,2,3 marks are important for something, cutbait, livebait, etc, and also I cannot feel any bump or mark to know if I set the lever on the strike mark or bit less or Im bit more infront the real mark, pretty sure when Im on full drag cuz the stopper, same with sunset.

how important could be to be exactly on the Strike mark?
    If I set lever on strike or bit lower and a fish is taking line, can I move 1 or 2 click more to the front to have more drag (just like with star drag reels) instead in going to FULL in one jump ?

2. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The little numbers do not mean anything specific, they are just points of reference for you.
    The tiny "bullseye" mark just above freespool is called "strip drag", and is just about 1 pound of drag. Use it when pulling line off the reel to rig up, or whatever application you may personally need for just slightly restricted freespool [but NOT a cast control!!].
    There is a definite "indent" [bump] just like with Avets, but it is slightly ahead of the "S" in the word Strike.
    You absolutely can adjust the drag range/arc to do whatever you want, that's one of the main advantages of a lever drag over a star drag.

3. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I was already aware that dont use low drag as cast control.

thanks for the explation, Steve.