Fathom 30LD2 or 40NLD2?

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by steelfish, Apr 9, 2016.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    guys Im sold on the FT LD2 since many months ago, just didnt have the funds for one.

well this week I sold my fathom 40 SD for gettin a LD2, but now the real question would be, which size.

I really cant have 3 sizes for each model of reel I like so I try to mix-match with different brands.
    I really like the 25NLD2 but I would like bit more of line capacity in Baja you never know what you could get below, so I have the 30LD2 as the main selection, but that same idea brough me the 40NLD2, a lot more line capacity and bit stronger.

if I go with the 40NLD2 this could be used for trolling, casting heavy irons, bait and yoyo = samethings that Im doing with the Baja
    if I go with the 30LD2 this will be used for casting irons, spoons and buttlefly jigs and keep using the baja for the other activities.

there some deep reff that could get you some big Baquetas (pink groupers) and big yellowtails and tresher sharks if you are lucky, for those fishes I would like to be equiped with the 40LD2.. with this reel I see my Baja and medium tanked 113h with less activity everytime.

danggg.. desition..

2. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    For what you want to use it for I'd get the 40n. That would cover all your bases and may help prevent redundancy with your reel stash.

3. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    If I were still a Baja Rat the 40NLD would be my go to reel.

4. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

You have hit on the key points, and only you can decide which size is best for you.
    If it was me, I would go for the 40N, but you have to decide which attributes are most important for your use.

5. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    After reading many reviews on both reels and the local needs for big capacity on 80# braid, I think I now set on the 40nLD2, and considering all that you guys have already said I will also go in a near future with the FTH 25n star drag for long casting lures irons, spoons, 6&bait surf fishing from the shore, etc, etc. it will take the place of my saltist 20H and maybe the trinidad 16, which is my actual light and small casting reel for a big catch