By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
so very very similar products.
more and more similar

Correct.
The reputation of the Fathoms is so good, I often get PM's that go something like "I am trying to decide between the Fathom [relevant size] and the [other brand reel over $500]".
Invariably, I bring up that if they recognize the amazing design advantages of the Fathom, but like the feel/finish/premium materials of the $500-plus reels, and their budget allows that $500 reel, they should consider a Torque [in that particular size].
A surprising number never made that connection.

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Another side of it that I often cover is regarding "Made in USA".
Lots of people love the Fathom, and comment that they would certainly pay more for it if it were US-made.
It allows a good comparison, as the designs are indeed very similar.
For a large number of anglers, just getting a Fathom is a major financial stretch that they can just barely do, but when they get one, now they have a reel they can reliably use for big fish for many years.
Moving the Fathom to US-build would make them $100-$125 higher at retail, which would totally shut out many of those tight-budget anglers.
However, if you are in a financial position to afford what a US-made Fathom would be, you can afford a Torque.
An interesting note, the actual drag material in Fathom Lever-Drags [Dura-Drag] is actually made here in the US, and shipped out to the factory where they make the Fathoms.

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Online Angler
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Correct.
The reputation of the Fathoms is so good, I often get PM's that go something like "I am trying to decide between the Fathom [relevant size] and the [other brand reel over $500]".
Invariably, I bring up that if they recognize the amazing design advantages of the Fathom, but like the feel/finish/premium materials of the $500-plus reels, and their budget allows that $500 reel, they should consider a Torque [in that particular size].
A surprising number never made that connection.
Yeah...its very true I’ve seen a lot of post you trying to make the Fathom to Torque connection and it seems a considerable number of people can’t get it for some reason...unfortunately me including 😊....but it will surely change once i’l pull my trigger on my 1st Torque...15XNLD2!

Reactions: Jjt03

NextMikeSays

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
Another side of it that I often cover is regarding "Made in USA".
Lots of people love the Fathom, and comment that they would certainly pay more for it if it were US-made.
It allows a good comparison, as the designs are indeed very similar.
For a large number of anglers, just getting a Fathom is a major financial stretch that they can just barely do, but when they get one, now they have a reel they can reliably use for big fish for many years.
Moving the Fathom to US-build would make them $100-$125 higher at retail, which would totally shut out many of those tight-budget anglers.
However, if you are in a financial position to afford what a US-made Fathom would be, you can afford a Torque.
An interesting note, the actual drag material in Fathom Lever-Drags [Dura-Drag] is actually made here in the US, and shipped out to the factory where they make the Fathoms.
Be like Accurate and Avet and make these reels in lefty and I'd buy it.

Reactions: Arthur1