Fathom 25 LD 2 Sp - Messed Up Out Of Box

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
So....with the great fishing out of SD, a friend from up here in Oregon making very first trip. I’ve been doing this..... a while. I say.... you need a solid 40 lb rig. Get a fathom 25 2 speed. Spool it with 50 lb white spectra. Borrow my Calstar 700H. You’re set.

We get the new reel. I spool it properly. We test the drag. Oops..this reel has a problem. 10 lbs drag tops. Try to get higher, and it is completely locked up.

No time to send back to dealer or factory. Take the reel apart. WTF? It is jam-packed with grease. Enough to pack the wheel bearings on a trailer. It seems that whoever assembled this thing doesn’t know that (lever) drag washers get a LIGHT coating; not gobbed on like gravy on mashed potatoes.

Remove excess grease. Re-install. OK now it gets closer to 20 lbs. Not quite “as advertised” in specs. But they all exaggerate max drag.

I know this is only one data point. That being said, BUYER BEWARE. Purchase well in advance of your trip. Test it.

Advice to Penn: tell your factory that at least one assembly person doesn’t know the difference between lever drag grease (amount, application) and star drag grease. Send them Link to Alan Tani tutorial, if they need training.

My name is Mark, and I approve of this message.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    I would think no. At least for the low cost made in China models. Maybe yes for the made in Philly items? Someone from Penn could prob let us know?

Edit: Then again, maybe never as the cost of labor is likely prohibitive. I guess I’m just rambling now. Sorry to hear you got a bad product.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    I own a fathom 15ld2 and a 25nld2 and they both have low drag. When they were brand new the drag was pretty low but with use they have gotten a little more drag

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Any chance the line is slipping on the spool?

(1) Nope

(2) The reel locked up.....jammed up tight....because it was full of grease. When pushing the lever forward and compressing the drag disc, the grease has nowhere to go. Once the excess grease was removed, it behaved as normal.

Steve has kindly asked me to get the lot number off the reel, to see if the problem can be traced back.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Junior-Assistant-Deputy CharterMaster in Training
    Feb 25, 2007
    South Bay, L.A., CA
    Name
    JC
    Boat
    INTREPID
    Fathom 25NLD2 is one of THE great reels/values on the market. My son and I have 3, and we recommended it to his uncles and cousins. We're now a nine-25NLD2 family.

Reactions: James Taylor
    Upvote 0