tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Got to Dana landing around 1:30pm on Sunday, got a full scoop of nice deans and headed out of the harbor about 2:00pm. Nice slow ride down to the grounds south west of the Coronado's. We arrive to the party at about 4:30 pm and set up with all the long range, overnight and private boats, everyone was spread apart nicely as there seemed be fish all over the area and birds working in all directions. We started to chum a little and had three rods in the water. Two on fly lined with 40 and I had a spinner with 65lb braid to 80lb leader 6 oz sinker. The 0nly reason I picked that setup was if have not been able to land a bigger BF on a spinner. 15 minutes later the sinker gets bit and 30 minutes later fish is at color and appears to be well over a hundred, he doesn't like the look of the boat and takes hundred yards of line and my right arm is cramping up now so I hand off to my kid and he put a lot of pressure on the fish and now the reel won't turn unless there's zero pressure, so he starts the pull with rod tip in the water all the way behind his head and gets maybe two cranks with no pressure at all. Now the fish is 20' from the boat with drag maxed out, he pulls hard and the rod snaps just above the reel, we are now totally F,ed! One last effort to wrap the bait net handle around the line to hold the fish while I tie a uni to an 80lb rig, b and but fish was too strong and chewed through the leader. Next 2 hours would produce 3 more hook ups on bigger models using 40 and 50 but all of them chewed through the line, should have used circle hooks. The next morning the water temp dropped to 61 from almost 64 and everyone was driving around looking for fish. We started heading back around noon and found a nice paddy that my buddy Gregg pulled a YT off of that served as a sashimi lunch. Still a great time on the water but hopefully better luck next time.

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Dam sick report thanks for sharing...

Upvote 0

cc_gip

Jan 18, 2018
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    pursuit 2550OS
    on a private boat, spinner is 100% doable. but you have to have the right rod, length, back bone and matching drag setting. In my humble opinion, rod is more important than the reel, especially at the later stage to finish the fish. If you don't have enough lifting power, it's gonna be hard to land the fish

Reactions: whosmatt
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Wow Amazing on the Fishing! Sounds like a fun day! I have spinning gear that will definitely handle 100#+ BFT but it is specialty gear and wouldn't be anywhere near my 1st choice for sinker rig... Bad luck getting chewed off 3 times on 40/50# fluoro but as you noted, good C-hooks improve your odds. Don't know if you have tried the ringed Charlie Brown circle hooks, they are stealthier than the Super Mutus, forged, super strong, no off-set so almost always get a corner jaw hook-set. Most days I really like the 2/0 size. Good luck!

Upvote 0

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
    Jun 17, 2015
    Lake elsinore
    Name
    all she's got
    Boat
    22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
    Thanks all for the positive comments and advise, well noted for next weekends Trip. See ya out there.

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Got to Dana landing around 1:30pm on Sunday, got a full scoop of nice deans and headed out of the harbor about 2:00pm. Nice slow ride down to the grounds south west of the Coronado's. We arrive to the party at about 4:30 pm and set up with all the long range, overnight and private boats, everyone was spread apart nicely as there seemed be fish all over the area and birds working in all directions. We started to chum a little and had three rods in the water. Two on fly lined with 40 and I had a spinner with 65lb braid to 80lb leader 6 oz sinker. The 0nly reason I picked that setup was if have not been able to land a bigger BF on a spinner. 15 minutes later the sinker gets bit and 30 minutes later fish is at color and appears to be well over a hundred, he doesn't like the look of the boat and takes hundred yards of line and my right arm is cramping up now so I hand off to my kid and he put a lot of pressure on the fish and now the reel won't turn unless there's zero pressure, so he starts the pull with rod tip in the water all the way behind his head and gets maybe two cranks with no pressure at all. Now the fish is 20' from the boat with drag maxed out, he pulls hard and the rod snaps just above the reel, we are now totally F,ed! One last effort to wrap the bait net handle around the line to hold the fish while I tie a uni to an 80lb rig, b and but fish was too strong and chewed through the leader. Next 2 hours would produce 3 more hook ups on bigger models using 40 and 50 but all of them chewed through the line, should have used circle hooks. The next morning the water temp dropped to 61 from almost 64 and everyone was driving around looking for fish. We started heading back around noon and found a nice paddy that my buddy Gregg pulled a YT off of that served as a sashimi lunch. Still a great time on the water but hopefully better luck next time.
    Great write up, reading it, felt like I was right there watching you battle the tuna on your sinker rig! :urno1: