Faster retrieve potential?

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Or am I just an idiot? Anyone ever thought of or tried to manufacture a reel handle with one side shorter - as depicted in blue on the pdf - to achieve faster retrieve, then moving hand to normal handle for more power when bit?

Attachments

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
It doesn't, it affects retrieval speed! You can turn the handle faster when it's short... less distance to go around.
Yeah, that's the idea. It seems like a good idea.... I'm at work or I'd play around with a reel and see how it might feel in my hands.

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
They used to make an adjustable handle years ago,you could make it shorter or longer by sliding it in or out,dont think it ever caught on.
I was also thinking along that idea... limited applications, probably, but could be effective on wahoo with bombs...

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Hmmm. Interesting idea even if it does look a little goofy. Remember, when everybody starts using one, suddenly it will be must-have, cool AF.

Myself, I'm just trying to find a longer handle that'll fit a Shimano Tyrnos II. Apparently no such creature exists?

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
I tried making some. They are very user specific. If they aren't the right size for you, the longer handle becomes a knuckle buster on the shorter handle. I never got them to a point that I really liked any of them.

BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Norwalk
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
Hmmm. Interesting idea even if it does look a little goofy. Remember, when everybody starts using one, suddenly it will be must-have, cool AF.

Myself, I'm just trying to find a longer handle that'll fit a Shimano Tyrnos II. Apparently no such creature exists?

Good fishin'!
BDC OK
Cal Sheets probably has a remedy for you.

Reactions: Omarkayak

woodfish330

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Holy crap.... seen that in the 80's or 90's....along with "strap on" transmissions to increase your ratio. Im sure.... someone here has one in their fishing "junk box".... to send you. Good luck....

Reactions: Bill W

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Holy crap.... seen that in the 80's or 90's....along with "strap on" transmissions to increase your ratio. Im sure.... someone here has one in their fishing "junk box".... to send you. Good luck....
Reel Deal transmission.

Reactions: woodfish330

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Physic, the torque will be greatly reduced and might not be able to turn the handle on a landed fish.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thanks "VIPER..."! Apparently.... you too used one in the day...lol. Yeah that 15 -1 transmission straps was a disaster. Sold it for the first half of the job.... rapid jig retrieval, aaand if you were successful at that part (hooked a fish).... reeling them in became the disaster. Witnessed on a few trips the first year it came out. Now you know why reel manufacturers approached the idea internally.

But..... never stop looking brother. The fishing business needs new blood with technical know-how....and fresh ideas. Inquiring minds are a good thing. Thinking outside of the box....a good thing!!