Fast and furious

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by molokaipake, Oct 10, 2012.

1. molokaipake

molokaipake Newbie

Name:
    capt clay
    Boat:
    24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
    Received an impromptu call from a friend that he wanted me to come along with him on his 15 foot whaler to blast out to the closest fad to see if we could entice some Mahimahi into his fishbag, especially since the water and weather was so extraordinarily calm.

I consented and within a half hour, at 2pm, we were zipping along at 18 knots to find out what was lurking around the Fad. A mile away, we noticed hundreds of birds sitting on the water. Thinking that something was around we put out some smaller lures and bingo, started catching some nice 6-8 lb aku. After catching a couple, I suggested that we stick to our Mahi mission since I had to be back in by a certain time as I had promised my wife that I would do dinner tonight, and had to keep my word.

We head over to the fad and "yes", are greeted by some eager mahi's all lit up and hopefully ready to oblige us with some action. Tossed a bait back and immediately a fish takes it and is soon doing acrobatics behind the boat! After landing four of them, with two of them over thirty pounds,we decide to catch a few more aku, as the fishbag is full of mahi already. The aku were busting everywhere and doubles were almost every pass, but time is now 430pm and I need to keep my dinner promise, so after a final fish, by then several dozen, we pull up lines and blaze it back in and in the harbor by a little after 5pm.

We drive up to my hale, divide up the fish, and I get to keep and clean the second biggest Mahi and by 630, fresh mahi cooked in mayonaise is on the table! Mahalo ke Akua for an awesome three hour whirlwind fishing trip that wasn't even planned and the terrific and rare, windless outing. Oh and for dinner too!

Sorry, no pix, we were too busy pulling in fish!

2. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice going on those mahis!

tight lines,

3. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Capt Clay,
    Wow, long time no see you post! Now that is what I call efficient fishing! WTG with the Mahis and bag full of akus...lots of poke and sashimi! Hope some of those guys make their way down to Hi Kai!

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Good goin' Capt Clay., very nice of your friend to invite you along... Sounds like alot of fun.

Pat

5. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Good going and thanks for sharing.

Jonny

6. Austins35

Austins35 Newbie

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    nuttin but net
  7. Molokaimatt

Molokaimatt Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    KIKUYE - 18' Custom Leader Cat
    I was the one that invited Captain Clay along. Fishing with him is always good and I always learn something new. In fact, I learned most of my tricks from him over the past 8-years. We don't get to fish together all that often, but when we do... it's usually magic. Last time we went out on his boat we caught 3 marlin in 2 hours! And there were pix to prove it.

Anyway, sometimes when you get the feeling to drop everything and go, it pays off. But even if we didn't catch anything, would still have been a good time with Capt Clay!

Mahalo!