Farnsworth Bank Report Sunday 9/24

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by get some, Sep 25, 2017.

1. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Got a call from Jimmy Decker on Friday asking if I wanted to fish with him and Rob Kato on Sunday. Plan was to fish Cat and then look around offshore. Ended up dragging Gerry Mahieu along as well. Launched out of Davies at 6:00 a.m., got bait and ran out to fish yellows at the Farnsworth. Started on one of the deeper pinnacles and Rob was hooked up as soon as we stopped on a mint and white Tady 14A heavy yo-yo jig.
    21765159_10207936639613913_1729857844240507937_n.jpg

It took a little looking around until we marked some fish and bait again, but once we did Decker got bit on his first cast with a mint and white Tady 14A light surface iron on his new Cousins Tackle jig stick. I'm not going to say that the fish kicked his ass but he stopped fishing for a bit after landing it lol.
    21950911_10207936639653914_8853061089113481973_o.jpg 21768820_10207936640213928_2391827323538713296_o.jpg 21949950_10207936639773917_4622940913573360987_o.jpg A few minutes later I got one to bite the mint and white Tady Starman 112 but the line broke the moment I came tight. Definitely a bad spot in the two year old spectra. Retied the same jig color and hooked another a few minutes later. Fish really wanted to get down to the pinnacles but I was able to stop it by thumbing the spool.
    21768695_10207936640053924_1557286656359912983_o.jpg
    The fish seemed to vacate the area after that so we moved in to the shallower pinnacles where several other private boats and a sportboat were hooking and mostly losing fish. The yellows were up boiling around and were definitely larger than the ones we'd caught earlier. I got my jig in front of some birds just as the fish came up and had one eat the jig 20 feet from the boat. Had my drag hammered but the fish immediately broke it free as it ran towards the pinnacle. The fish stripped several hundred feet of line and I never even slowed it down before it rocked me despite having both thumbs on the spool towards the end of the run. I retied as we set up for another drift. Birds came together and Decker who had the look of a guy that wasn't all that excited about getting tooled on the long rod suggested I take first crack at them. Cast, bit again, smoked again and broke off again. I've caught and lost a lot of yellows at Farnsworth over the years and will say that those two were the meanest ones I've ever hooked there. If you're planning on fishing there any time soon, I made a diagram to show you where you're not going to be able to land them. lol
    Untitled.png The bite slacked off midday so we ran offshore to look around. Accidentally ran over two sleeping marlin that were probably as startled as we were when they shot out from under the boat. Gerry finally spotted some dolphin but when we ran out we realized they were were 40 to 50 pound class yellowfin but as luck would have it they demolished the last of the school of bait they were destroying just as we pulled up and sank out. That was the extent of our offshore action but still cool to see that grade of fish fairly close to home.

2. Jmoon915

Jmoon915 Newbie

Name:
    JOHN MOON
    Boat:
    17.5 seahunt escape
    Should went there lol! Nice catch!

Cheech likes this.
  3. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Excellent report. I would rather catch big YT over tuna schoolie tuna any day.

The pic of Decker is awesome. Long stick ass kicking. LOL

4. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Fun trip! Would they bite 60lb or 80lb? Maybe then you could stop em on 80lb haha

5. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    I was using 65 pound braid to 60 pound fluorocarbon leader. Drag was hammered, nothing I could do lol.

6. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    Awesome day. Big yellows on the Farnsworth are always special, not to mention what you guys saw offshore. This is hands down my favorite time of year to fish offshore/islands, especially when we get weather days like you guys had on Sunday. I was hoping to fish Sunday as well, but family calls sometimes.

rick rouland, Cash Money and RyanErb like this.
  7. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great report, Erik. Appreciate the suggestions on the pinnacles. Nothing like getting rocked on larger homeguards taking folks to the rocks. Sometimes you get'm, sometimes you don't. Great looking seas to play on.

Penny likes this.
  8. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I hope that tady guy didn't throw his old line in the water behind your backs
    at the Farnsworth like he did to me

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    I got smoked there last month on 40-didnt even slow down !!!

get some likes this.
  10. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Pinnacle HomeGuard YT are kinda like hooking this

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    get some likes this.
  11. PacificPredator

PacificPredator Captain

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Funny diagram, and helpful.
    Thanks for sharing.

get some likes this.
  12. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Is it possible it wasn't yellowtail? BSB are known to patrol Catalina and I can't imagine not being able to slow down a yellowtail on 60 pounds for that long of a run, though I guess it could be a 80 pound local yellowtail that's gotten professional over the years at breaking people off.

13. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    I've had this happen to me so many times while yellowtail fishing it ain't even funny. I'm really starting to hate those BSB!!

14. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    Watched both fish bite the jig. Just plain old 30-40 pound yellowtail. The fish there are mean and know where to go to break you off. Such a difference from that same grade of fish when they were out at the 150 a couple years ago. Those fish weren't structure oriented at all and didn't even try to break you off.

One_Leg, fishin_kid and Azarkon like this.
  15. Triple555

Triple555 Captain

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    23 Seaswirl "Seasquirrel"
    Awesome....thx for the report.....was gonna go there this fri and look.....well....we all now know they're there! :)

16. vipertom1970

vipertom1970 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    I was out there at the same spot with five other boats on Saturday and no one caught one fish.

17. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    The question is, how many did you 'hook'? Next step up is 80lb or 100lb test line!

18. get some

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    The problem with heavier line is that it gets tough to fish the surface iron properly on that heavy of gear. Regarding bait, the fish are fairly line shy. They'll bite 25 or 30 but won't look at anything heavier most days from what I've heard.

RyanErb likes this.
  19. drdetroitII

drdetroitII Newbie

Name:
    Brian Disser
    Boat:
    Dr Detroit II / 30' Grady-White Marlin
    Great report. We debated going to Farnsworth yesterday but instead fished Eagle Rock in AM then fished structure spots from Johnson Rock down to Empire rest of the day. Went 2 for 2 on ~24# yellows. One at Isthmus high spot, the other at Isthmus reef. Bit 25# flouro on dines from Redondo. Seals were out of control. Slow overall with very few other species caught despite good crew and good conditions at several spots.

Donkey Nick, RyanErb and get some like this.
  20. fishjunky13

fishjunky13 Newbie

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Fish Junky
    Fish the 80lb braid straight and pull the lips off anyone? Man Man the fish anglers.

get some likes this.