Farming Yellowtail at Ancapa and chasing Marlin.

Discussion in 'Central California Fishing Reports' started by Liv2 huntnFish, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Liv2 huntnFish

Liv2 huntnFish Trying to be the report instead of reading it!

Name:
    Chasi'n Tails
    Boat:
    2352WA Trophy
    Short version:
    Tough day on the water. Lost a nice Yellowtail first thing in the morning. Fish was making a run and I tried to horse him a little too much on 20lb line and broke him off. Second Yellowtail took me to the rocks before I could turn his head. Only good bites I had all day. We went trolling for striped marlin got to see one chase and miss our jigs then disappear.

Detailed Version:
    Got to CISCO's just in time to get the last scoops of bait was expecting the worst but although most were beat up there was still plenty of bait alive at the end of our 12 hr day on the water and most was pretty lively. Thank you CISCO for doing your best to get us a full scoop. made the crossing to Anacapa at grey light started at the Arch took a page from an east coast buddy about bait buckets and my only regret is wishing I had gone bigger in size, with little to no current at the arch the chum line stayed close to the boat and we had markings of all kinds under the boat in no time. We all had a few raked baits, looked like small cudas. First good hit was mine played for about 10-15 minutes before I tried to horse it a little too much for the 20lb line I was using and broke it off.
    oh well retie deal with a few more raked baits from the cudas before my next bite, this one just took me to the rocks before I could turn its head.
    That was the most excitement for me all day. We stayed there till the bait bucket melted away and the fish seemed to move on. headed west for a few more stops till we got to the west end of capa and dropped another bait bucket. This one lasted half the time of the first one as the current was moving good. Fur bags showed up a short time after and was steeling baits after only two hookups with our rookie on the boat that had never been yellowtail fishing before, he farmed his to the rocks. lol
    capa iii.jpg

After bait buckets were gone and tired of dealing with the fur bags plus sun was out and shinning we decided to head south towards Santa Barbara island and hit some of the blue water connected to SCI. Thank you Fishdope and Terrafin for the intel & imagery. Thinking we might get lucky and find a marlin or Sordie and maybe even a Bluefin. We pointed the boat towards the Kidney bank and ran about 10 miles before finding the blue water and dropped the trolling gear continued south for another 10+ miles before realizing my Floscan was no longer reading the fuel usage. Turned the boat around and trolled back north to be safe. Did manage to see 2 striped marlin check out the gear before disappearing but that was the only excitement for the trolling. The stripes we did see were in the area of 33 46 40 / 119 18 20
    capa ii.jpg

Got back around capa and a quick fuel calc in my head based on previous mileage and figured we had enough fuel to try and salvage the day at the island sadly with little to no current in most spots we only manged a few checker boards and a cpl white fish.
    capa i.jpg

Left the island and headed in only to stop for a little fun with the green macs under birds. using of all things a small colt sniper, picked up a 5 gallon bucket of macs for the next round chum buckets.
    We did manage to talk to a few other boats out on the water and it sounds as if it was tough for everyone. 1 or 2 tails per private boat we just farmed ours!! 12 hrs and 132 miles on the water for 0 fish for the dinner plate but a lot of laughs and a great day on the water and out of the office!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Alan, graywolf, jscott and 5 others like this.
  2. Megamonster

Megamonster Newbie

Name:
    Darryl
    Boat:
    Robalo
    Nice report , better luck next time

3. Steelhead1

Steelhead1 Member

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 250
    Great report, dues paid!

4. spearbodj

spearbodj Eric

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    Appreciate the detailed report!

5. walkersoccer

walkersoccer Member

Name:
    roy
    Boat:
    parker 2120 yam 150 hpdi
    Thanks for the report. Havent been able to find any mackerel out there over the summer. I normally head to mid santa Cruz and don't go to the gap. Where did you find them?

6. walkersoccer

walkersoccer Member

Name:
    roy
    Boat:
    parker 2120 yam 150 hpdi
    Thanks for the report. Havent been able to find any mackerel out there over the summer. I normally head to mid santa Cruz and don't go to the gap. Where did you find them?

7. walkersoccer

walkersoccer Member

Name:
    roy
    Boat:
    parker 2120 yam 150 hpdi

8. Megamonster

Megamonster Newbie

Name:
    Darryl
    Boat:
    Robalo
    Just go to the gap bro, all You want ...you know in between Anacapa and Santa Cruz...: wide open green backs check it out some time

9. Liv2 huntnFish

Liv2 huntnFish Trying to be the report instead of reading it!

Name:
    Chasi'n Tails
    Boat:
    2352WA Trophy
    Walkersoccer
    We found them under birds @ 34 07'03"/119 15'50" about 1/2 to 3/4 of the mile SSE of the oil platform and about 2.99 miles out of the C. I. harbor entrance.

10. walkersoccer

walkersoccer Member

Name:
    roy
    Boat:
    parker 2120 yam 150 hpdi
    Ok thanks for the info appreciate it