Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
Apr 11, 2012
CA
Name
Dave Morton
Boat
Fin Alley
Found this gem in need of some TLC but she’s solid! Trailered her a long ways to SoCal.

The good: Solid hull and she already has a Cummins 6BTA 370 Diamond Series with a twin disc gear box.

The bad: Someone made her a convertible and removed the house, needs fuel tanks, going to rebuild the motor even tho she runs cuz Ill have it out, also going to build a new deck and raise it a few inches.

I’m going to build a house with the same forward rake angle of a 25. There’s a few options... marine ply but it’s heavy. Coosa but it’s pricey. Aluminum which I have access to a machine shop and can cut everything with a plasma by computer so it will be perfect.. lastly, making a fiberglass mold.

Im leaning towards the mold even tho it will be the most work. Once I have the mold, I’ll always have it in case I want to build another one. 27 is the perfect size for me but I always liked the house on the 25s better. When I saw this one was missing the house, it was the perfect opportunity for a fun project and to have the 27 hull with the house of a 25. Best of both worlds!

Has anyone seen the these teak bumpers on the side of the hull? It appears factory but I’ve never seen them. I’m considering getting rid of them.

Lots of smart and experienced men on BD, any input would be appreciated. I’ll keep yall posted on the progress. Goal is to have her ready for the 2021 season. Photos of the cabin are before and after cleaning it out.
DABBC66B-08AF-48B1-95C1-0CBDDC0253AF.jpeg
27D69143-3702-42BB-942A-9D8E0D6EDA0A.jpeg
3E3122C8-F179-4F30-B5E9-F4536258FD2B.jpeg
780960B6-5A87-4FB8-A370-76BBAF425AC3.jpeg
59328738-EC38-4CF4-B3BF-B92376286C9B.jpeg
5F3DC520-6278-4BB1-9F4E-A0F53A6C1F8C.jpeg
A019861E-C938-4FB9-B632-3167344108E7.jpeg
C90EA070-3EFA-4F1D-91FA-8A88A18BCFEB.jpeg
F7607D40-E24F-409F-A1CE-8ECBC6517F1E.jpeg

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat
31' Cabo Express
Great platform! That’s gonna be perfect for SoCal fishing. Your schedule might be a bit optimistic though, lol.

Where are you located? I’m in HB and we rebuilt both 6B 330’s and transmissions with my dad in our Cabo this year. If you’re in OC, I can recommend a lot of local resources.. machine shops, injector/turbo shop etc. Also can recommend a lot of suppliers for parts.

Do not buy any parts from CPP diesel! They are a nightmare on any returns or incorrect parts, even when it is their fault.

I would go coosa on the house.... you’ll probably never build another and time is valuable!

PM me if you have any questions on the motor.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
Apr 11, 2012
CA
Name
Dave Morton
Boat
Fin Alley
Great platform! That’s gonna be perfect for SoCal fishing. Your schedule might be a bit optimistic though, lol.

Where are you located? I’m in HB and we rebuilt both 6B 330’s and transmissions with my dad in our Cabo this year. If you’re in OC, I can recommend a lot of local resources.. machine shops, injector/turbo shop etc. Also can recommend a lot of suppliers for parts.

Do not buy any parts from CPP diesel! They are a nightmare on any returns or incorrect parts, even when it is their fault.

I would go coosa on the house.... you’ll probably never build another and time is valuable!

PM me if you have any questions on the motor.

I appreciate the info! I’m in SB county, not too far from OC. I have leads on all my Cummins parts but I’ll PM you if they fall through. The only concern I have about coosa (other than the price) is that I hear it crushes pretty easily when running in screws or bolts. I definitely want to put a tower on it so we’ll see. Still doing some research. Engine will be out this week, 12 days to get the parts, then rebuilt, and back in after I get the tanks. In the mean time I’ll tackle the bilge. Gona be able to eat out of it by the time my tanks are ready. 🤙🏻

Upvote 0

beardog629

Mar 1, 2010
vista
Name
Kelly
Boat
Blackman 23
I've found the best way is to make a one time mold out of melamine, its a formica style fiber board,,just frame up your shape and use a mold release on the inside, lay up 6 to 7 layers of 1708 cloth with the small paint rollers and you will have and all glass house, I just finished my second one with this process,,you can see my builds,,23 Blackman,,,can give you some tips if you want,,

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
Apr 11, 2012
CA
Name
Dave Morton
Boat
Fin Alley
I've found the best way is to make a one time mold out of melamine, its a formica style fiber board,,just frame up your shape and use a mold release on the inside, lay up 6 to 7 layers of 1708 cloth with the small paint rollers and you will have and all glass house, I just finished my second one with this process,,you can see my builds,,23 Blackman,,,can give you some tips if you want,,

Great advice. I really appreciate it. The all glass house is my preference. I’ll definitely check out your builds. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff

X2 on this process. Just added a lil 2ft extension for an OB and swim step on my Radon skiff using this method. Pulled the melamine off when done and voila! All glass bracket.

Your Farallon looks like an awesome foundation for a good project. Gonna be fun to watch it transform.

Bet that thing is built like a tank. You doing an open back or enclosed PH?

IMG_3925 (1).JPG

Upvote 0

Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
Apr 11, 2012
CA
Name
Dave Morton
Boat
Fin Alley
Sweet Radon. Looks like you did an outstanding job on the bracket. I’m going to build the house with an open back and a canvas drop curtain. After having both closed and open pilothouse boats, the open back houses are by far my favorite. They make the boat feel much bigger and there’s no beating it while trolling. There’s a little more engine noise and it can be a little colder but I’m in SoCal so no worries there.

I also have a 25 ft Farallon with an old, tired Volvo diesel. I’ve decided to pull the 6BTA 370 Cummins from this 27 and rebuild it then install in my 25. I’m going with a QSB 380 for the 27. More efficient and much quieter. The shaft and prop are already the correct size. Here’s a pic of my 25. Going to use all the angles from this one to build mold.
74B9B7F5-6E59-4782-BCD4-8FEFCC18747C.jpeg

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    I’d personally go glass over ply. Depending on how much you plan on being on the roof you can scale back on structure, avoid weight. At least a plywood roof. That’s me though.

Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
    Orange
    Name
    L Train
    Boat
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    Sweet Radon. Looks like you did an outstanding job on the bracket. I’m going to build the house with an open back and a canvas drop curtain. After having both closed and open pilothouse boats, the open back houses are by far my favorite. They make the boat feel much bigger and there’s no beating it while trolling. There’s a little more engine noise and it can be a little colder but I’m in SoCal so no worries there.

I also have a 25 ft Farallon with an old, tired Volvo diesel. I’ve decided to pull the 6BTA 370 Cummins from this 27 and rebuild it then install in my 25. I’m going with a QSB 380 for the 27. More efficient and much quieter. The shaft and prop are already the correct size. Here’s a pic of my 25. Going to use all the angles from this one to build mold. View attachment 1233657

Is that pic from Sunset Ramp ... the dock looks familiar 😎

Upvote 0

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
    Forks, WA, USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
    Kudos to you for attempting a project of this magnitude! Definitely subscribed and hoping you keep us updated as you progress. I've always loved the Farallons. Cool boats.

Reactions: Fin_Alley
    Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    The 25' Farallon is a thing of Beauty! "Classic" Subscribed on the 27' build. Those teak blocks on the hull were doing there job. I would take them off too...GL send pics

Reactions: Fin_Alley
    Upvote 0

Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
    Apr 11, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Dave Morton
    Boat
    Fin Alley
    Motor out. Most of deck out. Tanks out soon. Full rebuild of Cummins soon. Staring on the cabin build too. I unintentionally bought another 27 🤣 Now I have two 27 builds and a 25 that all need a god amount of work. Needless to say, it’s a bit much. I’m building a glass mold for the house since I’m doing two now. I’ll be starting that soon. My wife thinks I’m an addict. 🍻

21B7A825-5990-4887-9A2F-389C69890797.jpeg
    D6946D29-3A8D-43EF-AC90-B18D046A7892.jpeg
    C8AC9CC6-7AD1-4D1A-909B-AF79A88A257D.jpeg
    F1421B14-FAFE-4778-BC8F-1085F158F643.jpeg

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

JPeterson

Almost A Member
    Mar 16, 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca, USA
    Name
    Jeremy Peterson
    Boat
    22' Davis Cortez
    I’ve made a lot of questionable purchases in my life, but I can honestly say I’ve never “unintentionally” bought a boat. Haha! Looking forward to seeing how these come out. The old school Farallons are classics that are more than deserving of a new lease on life.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

Fin_Alley

🇺🇸
    Apr 11, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Dave Morton
    Boat
    Fin Alley
    I’ve made a lot of questionable purchases in my life, but I can honestly say I’ve never “unintentionally” bought a boat. Haha! Looking forward to seeing how these come out. The old school Farallons are classics that are more than deserving of a new lease on life.

LMAO!!! Well let me tell you how it happened.. I already owned the 25 and smoked the VP diesel in it towards the end of last season. I needed to repower but I wanted a 27. I found a the 27 above a very good deal and scooped up.

2 weeks later, a friend texted me saying he knew of a super deal on 27 sitting in a warehouse in Santa Ana. That was an even better deal than the first 27 and I couldn’t pass it up. It already had over 30k in work from seaboard. So I scooped that one up too. It took 8 hours to dig it out of this warehouse where it had sat for 6 years after Tony put in QSB 380 in addition to a lot of other work. It still need a lot but I’ll finish that one too. I’ll eventually sell one of the 27s but for now I get to enjoy the projects. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Upvote 0