Fancy beer on multi day trips

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
Let me start this off by saying this is not my first voyage....I am however seeking the advice of those who have put in more time then myself.

I am bit of a beer snob/connoisseur and I enjoy my COLD 22 ounce microbrew after a lengthy day of killing/attempting.

So my question is what is the best way to bring this up to the
charter master/chef/captain/crew/ Tracy. I will be fishing the Royal Star on a seven day private charter.

Thank you for reading and for your expert advice! Wish us luck!

Thanks

Andrew

joe.dude.01

Jun 9, 2015
Name
lbfishindude
Boat
ride on friend's boat:)
When I chartered a boat we could bring whatever we wanted onboard. A full cooler of glass bottled craft beer. We never thought to ask before but they didn't mind at all. We were very responsible of course but ya I don't think you'll have any issues.

Freedom Roc

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 7, 2010
West Sacramento, CA
Name
Mike Dobson
Boat
2320 Parker
I bring it on board, store it in my room and put a couple in the galley cooler mid day. Then suck em on the upper deck after fishing. Crew is totally cool with that! Enjoy

Reactions: Cubanaso

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
not your first multi-day but youre asking if ...
what...
1.the boat will provide your micro-beer
or
2.you can bring your own micro-beer on board
I understand that coors, coors light, bud, bud light and a few other Mexican beers are at my disposal the whole time and im thankful.

To be more direct, I am asking about BRINGING 22 ounce bottles of microbrews that I may enjoy at the end of a long day of fishing or at a break if I so choose.

Just so any doubters are clear, last time I fished I brought a 24 pack of 12 ounce microbrews onboard and asked the chef to stow them (a few at a time in the cold) a day prior so that they would ready to imbibe when I or my fellow passengers decided it was time to indulge.

My question is to those who have similar habits.

Thanks!

Andrew

Reactions: wils

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
dude, again, just bring your own cooler, grab some ice to fill and stow daily allotments on deck or wherever you want them.......standard op on all my trips, it's fine.

Reactions: Cubanaso

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
dude, again, just bring your own cooler, grab some ice to fill and stow daily allotments on deck or wherever you want them.......standard op on all my trips, it's fine.

Thanks, I'll do that. Was curious as to what other did.

Thanks man!

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
no worries, i'm bringing a case of Breaking Bud 22oz on my trip next week along with a bunch of ballast point cans, it's all good brother!

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
I understand that coors, coors light, bud, bud light and a few other Mexican beers are at my disposal the whole time and im thankful.

To be more direct, I am asking about BRINGING 22 ounce bottles of microbrews that I may enjoy at the end of a long day of fishing or at a break if I so choose.

Just so any doubters are clear, last time I fished I brought a 24 pack of 12 ounce microbrews onboard and asked the chef to stow them (a few at a time in the cold) a day prior so that they would ready to imbibe when I or my fellow passengers decided it was time to indulge.

My question is to those who have similar habits.

Thanks!

Andrew
Heck yeah. Wine and other embibables are a tradition, also. :)

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Boats typically have shit beer in the cooler. I'm not too picky after a long day fishing, but I'm with you - a bit of a beer snob. I'd say (like others have) bring your own.

My rotation includes Sculpin, Lagunitas IPA, Downtown Brown. Snob...

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
Heck yeah. Wine and other embibables are a tradition, also. :)
I've seen the wine show up during dinner time and have accepted it willingly!

I'm coming from Chico and am trying to vary the options a bit.

Thanks!

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Bring them along with you - I've been on the Royal Star many times and guys do that just about every trip. They will take care of you!

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
Call Tracy and ask her about "fancy beer" protocol on the Royal Star. She will take care of you...

Good luck on your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Jeff,

Tracy is always very helpful, your right.

Thank you!

We'll do our best

Andrew

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
This exactly was part of my last introductory speech by Andy on the Red Rooster. His recommendation for anglers in this same predicament ...bring a small soft sided cooler and all the fancy beer you'd like. Store it all in your stateroom.....maybe the cooler on deck? Use the ice from the ice maker to cool them down. Please don't put your private beers in the public coolers.

Side note. A few passengers rocked this system but there was the usual private beers in the public cooler. Not a big deal.

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
Boats typically have shit beer in the cooler. I'm not too picky after a long day fishing, but I'm with you - a bit of a beer snob. I'd say (like others have) bring your own.

My rotation includes Sculpin, Lagunitas IPA, Downtown Brown. Snob...

Nice rotation!

Sierra Nevada usually has some fancy offerings but it seems they are more focused on the east coast location this year. West coast specialities are not a focus it seems, no worries!

Best

Andrew

Go Long

May 12, 2012
Lake Forest/CA/US
Name
Norm
Boat
none
I agree with Pangamaster. On my rides on the Star, I have taken a small cooler and kept my beers in my room or on deck. You can keep your private stock in the boat's cooler, at your own risk. On one trip, Jeff had a cooler of left-over craft/better beers someone had left from a previous trip in a separate cooler and was charging the same as the Bud Light, that was cool, but didn't find out about it until we were headed up. Last trip 2 guys from Alaska brought a truckload of beer, then drank all of the rest of the Star's beer and ended up paying for the whole boat's beer tab out of appreciation of a good trip

boatless indago

Boatless in Dago
Jul 15, 2012
sd ca
Name
lj
Boat
nomo boat
ya all truely don't know a GOOD beer until ya try my buddy Ku uipo's Likey Likey Blonde Ale out in Santee @ P I B/Pacific Islander Beer!!!!Prospect Ave Santee just a block West from Cuyamaca on the left. Ya can't miss it, Tikis out front...

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I recommend bringing your craft brews in cans. Much lighter and more compact, faster to cool. Also safer and much less volume of trash which matters on a longer trip. I found this link listing canned craft brews all over California, with a bunch right there in SD: http://www.craftcans.com/db.php?reg=California. Last year on the Polaris Supreme, the crew loaned me a 5 gallon bucket and my son and I kept our canned craft brews cold in our stateroom, with ice from the ice maker. We'll be laying in our supply this coming Friday afternoon, for Saturday embarkation on Royal Star with the Humboldt Fishin' Lumberjacks. Yeah, baby!

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I've seen the wine show up during dinner time and have accepted it willingly!

I'm coming from Chico and am trying to vary the options a bit.

Thanks!
What kind of fish goes with boxed wine?

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
The EXCEL carries mass quantities of Ballast Point. So that's not an issue for me.
Just make sure when you're drinking your fancy beer you stick out your pinky.

Reactions: XL1

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
This exactly was part of my last introductory speech by Andy on the Red Rooster. His recommendation for anglers in this same predicament ...bring a small soft sided cooler and all the fancy beer you'd like. Store it all in your stateroom.....maybe the cooler on deck? Use the ice from the ice maker to cool them down. Please don't put your private beers in the public coolers.

Side note. A few passengers rocked this system but there was the usual private beers in the public cooler. Not a big deal.

There you go Dave, I've pretty much rocked this system for the last 30 years. Still managed to drink a few of the boat's banquets. Quite a few.

Reactions: Pangamaster