I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Took my Son Tyler and my wonderful soon to be daughter in law Ashley fishing Saturday. Launched out of Oceanside was surprisde to see the long line for bait, it took about a half hour to get bait. It was worth the wait, got a scoop or very nice deans from 5" to 9" with a few Spanish macks mixed in. We headed out and only about 5 miles out of the harbor was came across paddy after paddy, I spotted a huge one with birds working it. As we got closer saw hundreds of feeding Yellows, baits hit the water and 30 seconds we have a triple going. After catching rat after rat yellow Ashley ties into a nice one, she did a terrific job fighting it the biggest yellow for the day at around 18 pounds. We were going through bait pretty fast so I tied on a swim bait and got one after another. When we would drift off the paddy we would slowly motor back to the paddy I would throw the swim bait out and stick the rod in the rod holder, it was so cool to see the yellow come up and explode on the swim bait. So after keeping 10 yellows and releasing at least 30 we headed toward the 267.

We put out the trollers out and trolled around for a few hours with no luck. Spotted some working birds and stopped and chummed chunks and fly lined some baits. Ashley was the first to hook up, her first tuna of her life. After about 20 minutes a very nice Yellow Fin hits the deck. Tyler was the next to hook up and he landed almost the twin to Ashley's, but hers was a little bigger. I managed to avoid landing a Tuna today.

I really think we would have caught a bunch more Tuna had it not been for all the jerks going way to fast way to close. Enough said about the GOOGANS.

Headed home around 2:00 to arrive to waves breaking at the opening of Oceanside harbor.

So at the end of the day Ashley ended up with the biggest Yellow and the Biggest Yellow fin. Tyler ended up with the best catch, Ashley. And I ended up having a terrific day with two people I love very much.
    oceanside harbot.jpg
    stky biz.jpg
    Ashley with her first Tuna.jpg
    Tyler & Ashley TUNA.jpg

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
    Aug 18, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
    And the winner of the "perfect day" goes to you sir! Wow, epic day spent fishing with family, nice job.

Upvote 0

CC330i

Mar 16, 2008
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    Name
    Arthur
    Boat
    Sailfish 240 CC
    Great report, and glad to see that you were able to enjoy the great fishing with family. Makes it that much more special. Sounds like your future daughter in law has some great fishing skills, and that you will be getting along very well!

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
    La Mesa
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Aquasport 215DC
    Awesome report! What a cool day. Best part of owning a boat is getting new people stoked on fishing! I'm sure those pics will be on display at the wedding

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

• Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Awesome that entrance looks sketchy to say the least. Low tide?

No it was high tide, waves were coming over the top of the breakwater. I wish I had taken photos from the outside of the harbor.

Reactions: calisnowhunter
    Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    30' Albemarle
    Good job on the fish, we had a similar day out of Oceanside as well. Wide open on the local kelp yellows, then had just a couple of tuna bites off the terns. My goodness was the harbor entry and exit sketchy yesterday. The waves were cresting into the harbor on our way out, and we surfed them on the way in. Note to self, don't launch out of Oceanside when the swells are up.

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
    Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Did Ashley enjoy eating the heart? Don't tell us you let her slide.
    Congrad for the trip and congrats on the future bells

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    nice day did the same on Friday and you could see the harbor was getting sketchy and like you I've been attacked by the grammar police oh well

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

Congrats on a nice day with the family! Looks like Norbert was there to greet you at the harbor entrance. Praise these hurricanes for keeping the warm water around. I could go for a couple more rolling into October.

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

• Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Did Ashley enjoy eating the heart? Don't tell us you let her slide.
    Congrad for the trip and congrats on the future bells

We told her she had to eat the heart on her first tuna and she asked "How are you join got cook it?" We let her slide on the eating the beating heart thing.

Thanks guys for all nice replies.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
    Aug 16, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    We told her she had to eat the heart on her first tuna and she asked "How are you join got cook it?" We let her slide on the eating the beating heart thing.

Thanks for the report and good job on letting slide on eating the heart....it's a stupid tradition.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    Fantastic report!! Ur a lucky man!!! Wait till those grand kids start leaning against the rail. Might be that long until we have a year like this!!!!

Reactions: GOFAST88
    Upvote 0