I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 10, 2003
Meeker, CO
Name
Jim
Boat
None
Hey,

Just got the firm OK on a six month sabbatical from 10/15 to 11/31 (yeah...thats six weeks paid bitches :rofl:!!!) and I'm gonna do a western states hunt adventure / alone time / get me the hell out of civilization / reconnect with myself - trip of a lifetime.

As of now, I put in for WY General Buck Deer, a Doe deer hunt, 3 Choices for Buck Antelope units, and a doe/fawn Antelope tag. I figure I'll get a couple hunts out of that.

I want to round it out with an Elk hunt somewhere, and I missed a few of the draws. I'm not a trophy hunter, and I would be 100% fine with a Cow Elk. I see that Utah and Colorado (maybe IDaho?) have Cow/Antlerless tags for the November timeframe - either OTC, or typically leftovers from the past few years. Anybody have any advice on units / areas / tags to look at?

My main intent is to be mobile, and am to dedicate a week to an Elk hunt and spend it kicking around, packing in to places and hunting, exploring, shooting an elk, etc. I have enough knowledge of some of those areas to maybe make that happen, but any help would be great. What I would like would be a hunt that was reasonably tough to get to with 4x4 and the old legs, and that is a good area to hunt.

As I said, I'm good with a Cow, and as I'll be shooting flintlock or percussion lock BP musket, it will kind of be analagous to what a lot of you guys to with your bows in regards to ranges / set-ups, whatever.

Also if anybody is interested in joining up, I'm open for that too, I'll be somewhere between CA and WY in october/november starting with the WY Antelope season, and ending somewhere in CA. As long as you can keep your hands to yourself and don't fart excessively in a tent situation...let me know...:rofl:

Thanks in advance!

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Since you'll already be in WY, you could easily swing by NW CO and take a stab at elk. At that time of year you'll have to compete with the centerfire guys though, if that bothers you. ML season is a few weeks earlier. Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm jealous.

Last edited:

Vermonster

Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Hey,

Just got the firm OK on a six month sabbatical from 10/15 to 11/31 (yeah...thats six weeks paid bitches :rofl:!!!)
Can't make up your mind, huh Jim????? ;)

:D

Sounds like a hell of a trip! I just got info on an OTC unit for elk in Colorado that I am going to take advantage of next year. Friend's Dad has hunted it for the last 25+ years and gets an elk, sometimes 2, each year, and he's gonna help me out. :)

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
Lucky dog! Nevada draw just opened last Friday. I can point you in the right direction but it is a draw. I have some 411 on cow elk indian reservation hunts. PM me if you're interested.

WACH ISS

Apr 30, 2007
san diego county
Name
cary
Boat
23' trophy, tranquilo
C-Bar Z outfitters out of Trinidad Colorado. Larry Zappanti Jr. runs a pretty good show. Elk, Deer, Antelope, Bear, Turkey. PM me if you're interested

jkat

Jul 16, 2007
I. B.
Name
JOHNNY
Boat
18 invader no name
Montana has a good big game combo hunt. You get elk, deer, uplandbirds, fishing, optional bear, and if you don't fill tags during archery season you can go back for rifle revenge.

dukhuntr

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 29, 2006
North
Name
Al
Boat
none
Lived in Salmon, Idaho for several years. Elk everywhere, cow tags were over the counter. Shot a few cows and some nice bulls. That Nov time frame, the elk were usually down pretty low. Most ranchers were begging for hunters because the elk were tearing up fences and hay stacks. Lots of public land and easy access also. I mainly hunted the Divide to the east of Hwy 93 from Salmon all the way to Leadore.

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
Meeker, CO
Name
Jim
Boat
None
Well, I'm all set-up. App's are in and the waiting begins! Thanks for the help guys. I want to give props to CO DOW too...they have guys on staff who's job it is to help guys like me and the info and assistance was above and beyond!!!

...god I hope the diving is good this summer, or I'll never make it to October.