Turkey Slayer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2006
San Diego
Name
Randy
Boat
Waiting for my boat to come in
Hunted a private ranch in Julian on Sunday for a fall turkey. Got set up under a big oak in the dark, got the DS decoys set up, pitched the ground blind, and waited for the sunrise. No gobbles or hen calling at all...thought it was going to be void of turkeys. The owner said lots of birds were around 2 weeks ago, then most of them vanished. At 6:15 am, I look up, and was surprised to see 7 nice longbeards coming down the hill. They cruised down, eating and pecking away. They are about 90 yards away, on the property next door. They see my decoys, and check them out, but no interest. I have had luck in the fall where they will come to check out the decoys, and allow for a kill...but not this time! They continued on, chased each other around in the field, then moved into the woods. Oh well... was nice seeing those fat toms!! Maybe next time!!

turkey in scope.jpg

Reactions: Bendo28

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Randy, maybe you know better than I do, but I remember reading the regs that said San Diego county does not have a fall turkey season, just spring. The rules may be different on a private ranch, but I don't know. I saw a few in the area on Friday when I was down there.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Randy, maybe you know better than I do, but I remember reading the regs that said San Diego county does not have a fall turkey season, just spring. The rules may be different on a private ranch, but I don't know. I saw a few in the area on Friday when I was down there.
You need to get an updated reg book.
There has been a fall season in SD for a few years now.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Early October, Bitterroot River outside of Missoula. Checking out a real estate listing and came upon these.

image.jpg

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Early October, Bitterroot River outside of Missoula. Checking out a real estate listing and came upon these.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
You need to get an updated reg book.
There has been a fall season in SD for a few years now.

I read it on the regs online. but I figured somebody would know more about than I did. Thanks for the info Carl.

NulodPBall

Aug 14, 2005
South Orange County
Name
Ray
Boat
FishCat
I read it on the regs online. but I figured somebody would know more about than I did. Thanks for the info Carl.
LoL, the Web calls up info and sometimes it's old info. You have to check the dates...the DFG/DFW website lists general season descriptions and then lists the dates in a second area (I don't know why, they should just put them together and update as needed) but the Fall season has different limits and ends Dec. 7 if I remember correctly.

Have fun :)

Turkey Slayer: I thought you were going to use your bow, and I thought "those turkeys are pretty close for 90 yards" then I realized... :O