Fall Trip advice-Guadalupe

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by TrophyAnchovy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. TrophyAnchovy

TrophyAnchovy Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    None
    Long time lurker and fisherman but longest trip I’ve been on was a 5 day on the 105 years ago.

Really want to fish Guadalupe so I need the advice on picking a trip.

American Angler has a couple 7 day trips open with 23 pass in November. These are NOT charters so no cool giveaways.

Shogun Penn 7 day with 26 pass in December.

Any specific reason why choose one trip over another?

2. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I’d go AA. The timing for November is more traditional. No telling if November or December will be best at this point.

3. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Don't base your trip on giveaways. Personally I'd take a November trip but December has been real good in recent years also. Also, none of the trips are guaranteed to go to Guadalupe. About a week before your trip they'll send you an email if they feel like they'll go there so you can be notified of the extra cost for permits.

jiggyn and Rodless_Jim like this.
  4. Retired1

Retired1 Fishing n Music

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Jailbait sold
    I was on the 2017 November 10 IMG_8128.JPG day Larry Brown trip with lots of sponsors ( my first sponsored trip) on the Intrepid. We were lucky cos Capt Sammy made a great decision to stay at the Potato Bank and we caught 5 fish over 300 lbs, 17 fish over 200's and 3 fish over 100 all Yellowfin. WE actually were on a variety trip but it ended with super cows and cows for 26 fishermen loosing 8 for on reason or another with the biggest 368 lbs.

RichG likes this.
  5. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    The last couple of years the Nov. trips have been a little better than the Dec. trips but you never know how next year will be. Sometimes you run into bad weather or poor conditions due to lack of current or poor bait so it really is a crapshoot. I'm on the Shogun Penn reels trip in Dec but I am also on a 6 day at the end of Oct. This year the sharks caused a lot of problems on the early trips but they were pretty much gone by mid Nov. The Penn reels trip has a ton of giveaways and prizes plus a lot of loaner gear if that is an issue. If it was me I would book both trips to double your chances for a good trip. The fishing at Guadalupe has been unbelievable the last couple of years and you might not see fishing like it again the rest of your life.

T.O.T.W. and mcrae like this.
  6. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    I am on the December trip. As I have been told you pays your monies you takes your chances. It is always a gamble but at some point you have to let go of the dice. Let's roll.

freegaff2, Steve K and RichG like this.
  7. effigy

effigy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Which one? Too many....
    Hay James. I am on the AA Nov 5th 7 day. I wanted a November trip, and this one has both a dark ( new) moon and also big tides. Plus a holiday which helps my vacation day usage.

I would rather have fewer people on the boat, vs another hat & tee shirt. I am permanently jinxed from winning the rod / reel raffles.

Would be happy to chat with you, if you are considering this trip.

Hana pa'a Time and Steve K like this.
  8. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I've been to Guadalupe twice on the shogun in the November time frame and had good fishing and little sharks both times. Haven't been on the AA yet but I will at some point. You really can't go wrong with any of the long range boats, they have good crews, etc. It comes down to personal taste. I'd recommend picking the dates you can go and finding a trip that fits that schedule. Next I look at the boat and number of people on it. Giveaways, while nice, are just a bonus. Good luck!

9. talltales

talltales Member

Name:
    ron
    Boat:
    2359 Trophy
    I did two trips in 2017,one in November and one in December. The November trip was way better fishing however both trips did well. Pack your patients, (along with your 80lb and 100lb outfits) these fish can be tough to catch. Vagabond has two trips in November one is a JRI jig tip.

skotz likes this.
  10. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Later in the year risks more storms and winds that may turn off the bite.

freegaff2 likes this.
  11. TrophyAnchovy

TrophyAnchovy Newbie

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    None
    Thank you all for advice and input.

Much appreciated.

12. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    ive always like oct-nov lupe trips
    however that said last 2 years have become the traditional long long soak

13. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Traditionally,The trips in October will have a lot of hookups but you could have a shark problem. The weather will be nice. As you move into November, the sharks will disappear with the same amount of hookups. As you get later into November and into early Dec, the weather can start to get windy with the fish slowing down tremendously as you proceed through Dec.

14. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    I've fished there the last 3 years, it's a hate mission until the first week in November, Elephant seals are done calfing, or what ever is the proper term is for there parental duty to there offspring. Great whites head to more fertile feeding grounds, and big tuna opportunities increase because the local thugs have vacated the premises! Obviously, things can change, nothing is written in stone! Roll the dice, pick a trip and go fishing! It's what is called, paying you're dues!

larry dickson likes this.
  15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Fished Lupe early October and paid dearly to the sharks. Friend fished a month later and no problems. Going early November this year.

16. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    November is the best month IMO... have fished the Lupe 6 times in the last three years... weather is better in October but you have to deal with lots of GW's. November is generally when the GW's leave the island and Mother Nature controls the weather which can be good and when it is that usually equates to your best shot at "landing" one of those 100lb+ super healthy Lupe YFT. Early December can be real good too weather permitting... I like the Shogun because its a wide, heavy, all steel hull... IMO one of the very best LR platforms you can fish on the drift! Fished the drift most of the trip in 2016 when I went in December on the Shogun... weather was cool, even got a light rain but the big boys showed up and it was wide open on the last day with YFT up to 172lbs... we got them on the dine, mackerel, jigs, popper... huge bowls everywhere... an incredible sight to see!

I'm going to the Lupe in early November and early December this year.

G