Fair weather Wyoming Elk

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat Name
17 Crestliner
Stupidly warm and dry in Wyoming, but decided to do some armed hiking on Saturday morning. Was contemplating all the chores I would take care of after returning from what I assumed would be nice walk in the woods...but about 3 miles in, I poked my head around a rock and could see a small patch of grass with a bull standing broadside, facing away. Snuck up to a rock and he looked my way right as I pulled the trigger. Dropped like a stone! I am an equal opportunity elk hunter, any legal elk is all I care about, but this guy turned out to be a pretty nice bull. Crazy weird 4X5, with over 30" between the points on his Royals. I gutted him out and called in my wife and and a buddy to pack it out, it took 3 trips and 6 hours of packing and a boat trip to get it out. Huge bodied beast we will be processing for days!
IMG_1353[1].JPG
GYGU5048[1].JPEG

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat Name
17 Crestliner
8C4AE7D1-D292-49AF-AE76-68883234BDEF.jpeg

Nice. What did you shoot it with?
Trusty 30-06 I bought at a pawnshop in 1996, my first rifle. Federal meateater copper 165 grain loads. I have killed 6 elk the past 6 seasons with these, and they are deadly. I have recovered most of the bullets, and they all have mushroomed perfectly, looking like no fragmentation at all.

Reactions: marlyn and BASSMITH
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
You really know how to screw up a leisurely hike! 😂

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat Name
17 Crestliner
So one shot dropped it?
In its tracks. Took a follow up shot to the neck after it was still moving its head around after a few minutes, but it was not going anywhere. Shot was only around 100 yards...
You really know how to screw up a leisurely hike! 😂
Hahaha the oldest elk hunting joke around. Did seriously alter my plans😂

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0