AKULA683

STS3(SS)
Jun 10, 2008
Tustin/CA/US
Name
Toby
Boat
Sold!
I have a 2006 F150 4x4. 5.4l, crewcab,150.5" wheelbase, 18" wheels, 3.73 rear end gears. The owner's manual says that it is rated to tow 8600lbs with a GCWR OF 14500lbs. The hitch (factory) says it is rated at 5000lbs weighted or 9900lbs with weight distribution. the hitch has a IV on it.

Any idea on why the hitch is rated lower than the truck? Is that 8600lbs only for a weight distribution hitch?

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Not sure I understand the ? but the rating for non-weight dist is always lower. I'd go with what the factory says. Hell, for that matter I would stay WAY under what the ratings are for 1/2 ton trucks. It's not the pulling, it's the stopping you deal with on 1/2 ton trucks.

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Just about all the factory hitches are rated at 5000 lbs, I had a Dodge 3500 dually diesel with a factory hitch rated for 5000 lbs, my present truck a 2003 Ford F350 dually diesel 7.3 came with a 5000 lb hitch.

You will want to change that hitch to one rated for about 10,000lbs, I towed the boat in my signature with the factory hitch on the dodge for a number of years, never checked the hitch rating, just thought they would put a hitch on appropriate to the tow rating.

I was at a tire shop buying tires one day, the Dodge was on a rack, the store manager came to me, said my truck was ready but he would like to show me something before they got the rack down, the hitch had severe cracks in both corners, I went straight to Eckhard hitches and had them install a class V hitch rated for 19,000 lbs, when I bought the Ford I tried to negotiate a hitch upgrade with the dealer, they wanted too much, I went back to Eckhard's and had the same hitch I had on the Dodge installed.

firefishq

May 17, 2013
So Cal
Name
A
Boat
none
tow rating are not a simple thing. they involve what they can tow as well as the payload capacity. sometimes the numbers don't quite add up. stay around the stated capacities and you should be ok

AKULA683

STS3(SS)
Jun 10, 2008
Tustin/CA/US
Name
Toby
Boat
Sold!
Thanks for all the good info guys. I think my boat weighs about 6000lbs with the trailer and fuel. Its a Galvanized dual axel trailer, with a 21' Proline WA, 2 stroke Mercury Offshore on an Armstrong bracket, 95 gallons of gas. Any guesses? Here is a pic.

IMAG0136.jpg

Does any body know of a good place to weigh the trailer/boat in Dana Point or south OC?

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
IMO you will be fine with with the factory hitch and that boat. Should be close to 5K lbs

FishinArmo

Apr 5, 2006
Northridge CA
Name
Avo Oughourlian
Boat
DOS XX
your truck will be fine towing that i have the exact same truck in a 2006 and would feel very comfortable towing that

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
IMO you will be fine with with the factory hitch and that boat. Should be close to 5K lbs
your truck will be fine towing that i have the exact same truck in a 2006 and would feel very comfortable towing that

From experience, I would not feel comfortable towing something that the tow rating of the equipment is less than the weight of what is been towed,

If the combine weight of your boat/trailer/fuel/gear is greater that the recommended weight for the tow hitch, I would get a hitch with a greater weight rating than the weight been towed.

But that's me, I very much dislike saying "I should have known better", therefore safety will always win out over saving a few dollars.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
From experience, I would not feel comfortable towing something that the tow rating of the equipment is less than the weight of what is been towed,.

But you feel comfortable beating on your truck hard enough to break the factory hitch. Make up your mind

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
But you feel comfortable beating on your truck hard enough to break the factory hitch. Make up your mind
I did not beat on the truck, I think you need a lesson or two in English comprehension, the Ford I mention is rated to tow 13,500 lbs, it came with a hitch rated for 5,000lbs same with the Dodge, when I bought the Dodge I assume the hitch was comparable to the tow rating, it was only after a visit to the tire shop and the damages to the hitch was pointed out to me that I became aware of the discrepancies between the tow rating of the truck and the hitch installed at the factory.

I am merely trying to share this experience with the OP.

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
I did not beat on the truck, I think you need a lesson or two in English comprehension, the Ford I mention is rated to tow 13,500 lbs, it came with a hitch rated for 5,000lbs same with the Dodge, when I bought the Dodge I assume the hitch was comparable to the tow rating, it was only after a visit to the tire shop and the damages to the hitch was pointed out to me that I became aware of the discrepancies between the tow rating of the truck and the hitch installed at the factory.

I am merely trying to share this experience with the OP.
How is your truck rated to tow 13,500 LBS with a 5k LB hitch? You for got to read (or comprehend) the *when properly equipped.

Reel 007

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
Thanks for all the good info guys. I think my boat weighs about 6000lbs with the trailer and fuel. Its a Galvanized dual axel trailer, with a 21' Proline WA, 2 stroke Mercury Offshore on an Armstrong bracket, 95 gallons of gas. Any guesses? Here is a pic.

View attachment 451327

Does any body know of a good place to weigh the trailer/boat in Dana Point or south OC?
How is your truck rated to tow 13,500 LBS with a 5k LB hitch? You for got to read (or comprehend) the *when properly equipped.
The OP stated his rig weighted 6000 lbs, in post #6 you informed him he would be fine towing it with a 5000 lb hitch, in post #9 you make disparaging remarks in regards to me towing with the factory hitch, in post #12 you dispute what you said in post #6, *when properly equipped.

Make up your mind, is it, or is it not OK to tow a 6000 lb load with a 5000 lb hitch.

My Pops told me that there are people like you, unable to say anything that enhances the experience, they start a argument.