Tesoro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
I am not sure about the new ones but this relates to the 4 I have owned in the 2006-2009 model years. On the front of the motor (see pic) is a spin on water separator bowl that has a small filter in it. The bowl is plastic and the housing metal with fine threads. Even practiced mechanics have a hard time not messing up the bowl threads on re-assembly. You also need a 35$ tool to get the bowl off most of the time. On some models they actually had a wif sensor in the bowl and then discontinued.

If you suck up bad fuel into this system then it is not a service job to be done at sea unless flat calm.

Last week I got a gulp of real bad fuel out of one of my saddle tanks. My 150 shuddered and I shut it down. Checked my racor fuel bowl and was full of yellow milk. I drained it and then switched tanks and pumped and drained again. (was out in 4-6 ft seas with nervous but very quiet wife!). Then I made a prayer that the other fuel bowl on the engine was not plumb full of goo. I made it back thankfully and when I got home I checked the engine bowl and it was half full of crud.

SO I dawned on me, after first bad fuel experience in long time, that the engine fuel filter is not necessary if you have a good primary racor with separator on deck. It is nice to have a secondary filter but not at the expense of not being able to clean it in an emergency at sea. Solution is to bypass it which is a 2 minute job. Just take off the mount.filter set up and get rid of it. The inlet hose from boat has a nice built in nipple to join to the hose that goes to engine fuel side.

The trick is to catch water in the bowl before it goes to the engine. In my last boat I had rigged up a diesel wif sensor in the bowl that had a buzzer alarm and light on dash when got more than 3/8in or so water in bottom of the bowl. Worked like a charm. Not 'legal' but not dangerous. I am going to do this to my Arima now. Dont like the feeling of being broke down in the Pacific ocean close to a rock shoreline!

IMG_4901.jpeg

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
You have a point, but I see the flip side. Your Racor was overcome and allowed some contaminated fuel to pass through to the engine. The onboard Yamaha filter caught it and saved your engine. Pure conjecture of course.

My personal experience with a similar situation occurred with some bad, beach loaded Pemex, while we were 40 miles offshore in East Cape. My Racor clogged, my primer ball collapsed, and my port motor starved out and died. We made it in on the starboard engine. Enough fuel was squeezing through the Racor to feed one engine, but not two. The onboard filters did their job and prevented a greater tragedy. Pure conjecture of course.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
Yeah the bottom line is no 10 micron filter will block water. The yamaha filter didnt catch it as it let a little bad gas get past to the injectors. All the crud got trapped in the racor filter. The key is to catch water in your primary filter before it goes to the engine. This boat is new to me and on my list was to do what I have done before and rig up a diesel mini racor with wif sensor and alarm on dash. Wouldnt be writing this if had done that earlier! The racor people say you can blow up your boat but I have never had any issues with it and ran one with gas for years. When I got water in my fuel I would always catch it at the beginning and drain before going to engine. its my risk but I dont see one. There are similar sensors in fuel system on many engines. If they could cause a fire then the fuel line goes back to your boat!

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
ps: I just remembered that my motor used to have a wif sensor on that same filter setup. But had many false alarms and recalls so most switched over to that pos plastic thread stripping bowl like I have and disconnected the wif wires. No engine fires with that setup and the racor one is basically the same thing..just 2 12 v probes that will complete circuit in water but not gas. Circuit gets closed then loud buzzer goes off at the helm.

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Better get that balancer upgraded before she blows. Cheap insurance... well not really cheap but cheaper than a new powerhead....

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Right on. I did my pair of 150’s and oil pumps. Nearing the 1000 hour mark so time to do timing belts pretty soon. Wouldn’t it be awesome if the parts that are known to blow things up were replaced by Yamaha? Wishful thinking.... or at least offer them at a deeply discounted price!

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
So do you keep spare fuel filters on boat now?

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Name
Chris Berlin
Boat
21 Arima Ranger
Now?? fuel filters dont block water.