c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
What you need is an accurate measuring device.
Heres what I use while diving.I like to set it about .001 on the high side just to be absolutely sure :)
dive light.jpg

accurate lobster gauge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
In all seriousness,fishing the bay and dealing with every law enforcment out there is kinda a joke.I got checked on that same day,same guy,but he was cool with us,was getting ready to launch the boat one day last week,and a dfg came over asking about the lobster card and such,and I nicely told him that I had just told him we had not even launched yet,so why was he checking me,but the funniest was on wednesday night,when headed back to the launch ramp,had a harbor police boat come up on my side,and was slowing down turning towards us(Myself,4 and 6 yr old boys)so I stopped the boat,and they lit me all up.Said that I had just turned my running lights on,and I said"Nope,been on all the time"so she put a lecture on me about changing where the front combo light is mounted,blah blah,and let us go.I took off,and about a minute later,they are haulin ass up my stern,all lit up again,stopped me,and said that they ran the cf numbers,and my registration came back expired in 2003....I always have paperwork there,so gave it to them,ran it,and heard my correct info come back on their radio,but she still kept asking me what city we live in,what make of boat it is,blah blah....Same exact thing happened last year,with a different boat,told me it came back stolen.Just looking for an excuse to get you.Kid told his teacher at school that we got pulled over 2 times...It sucks,but kinda cringe when I see any type of enforcment boat down there anymore.I filed all my gauges a couple years ago,and don`t even mess with anything close,just to be sure.Learned my lesson a few years ago on a bass that was kinda close,but legal,but had dfg trying to see how he could meausre it to be short.Just aint worth it.

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    In all seriousness,fishing the bay and dealing with every law enforcment out there is kinda a joke.I got checked on that same day,same guy,but he was cool with us,was getting ready to launch the boat one day last week,and a dfg came over asking about the lobster card and such,and I nicely told him that I had just told him we had not even launched yet,so why was he checking me,but the funniest was on wednesday night,when headed back to the launch ramp,had a harbor police boat come up on my side,and was slowing down turning towards us(Myself,4 and 6 yr old boys)so I stopped the boat,and they lit me all up.Said that I had just turned my running lights on,and I said"Nope,been on all the time"so she put a lecture on me about changing where the front combo light is mounted,blah blah,and let us go.I took off,and about a minute later,they are haulin ass up my stern,all lit up again,stopped me,and said that they ran the cf numbers,and my registration came back expired in 2003....I always have paperwork there,so gave it to them,ran it,and heard my correct info come back on their radio,but she still kept asking me what city we live in,what make of boat it is,blah blah....Same exact thing happened last year,with a different boat,told me it came back stolen.Just looking for an excuse to get you.Kid told his teacher at school that we got pulled over 2 times...It sucks,but kinda cringe when I see any type of enforcment boat down there anymore.I filed all my gauges a couple years ago,and don`t even mess with anything close,just to be sure.Learned my lesson a few years ago on a bass that was kinda close,but legal,but had dfg trying to see how he could meausre it to be short.Just aint worth it.

I hear you. I was out Thursday night and Harbor police were lighting people up but we never got boarded or checked.

Al legal size....:)

IMG954371.jpg

Upvote 0

FINADDICT*

SKIPPER
    Jul 22, 2008
    California
    Name
    Fingers
    Boat
    Finaddict*
    would have never let him take and put in with three others total BS.......sorry bro that tottaly sucks....not against you sounds like you tried to do the rigght thisng,.

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    would have never let him take and put in with three others total BS.......sorry bro that tottaly sucks....not against you sounds like you tried to do the rigght thisng,.

Thanks Curt, yes I did!

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    Who knows if you will win???
    Talk to the public prosecutor if they still let you. Tell them the hairs of the carapace are within legal limits. The law says the carapace has to b 3.25 in., hairs and all. It depends if the pub prosecutor allow for hairs or if the law is vague here. Because there is no way the hairs are not part of the carapace. Plus tell them of all your others that were similarly legal. Showing "good motive", and abiding by the law.

If you don't fight it it might be a poaching offense,

I won a battle like this , and so did my friend when our boat almost crashed on the rocks. Talk to the pub prosecutor , not the judge. It worked for me. But you have to request it from the clerk.

Upvote 0

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ca
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    blackman fishmachine
    Oh ya, when he mixed the evidence with the others he invalidated the case. You don't know if he switched the lobsters!
    And unless those were marked he cannot prove which lobster was actually yours without doubt. He can't write you a ticket for someone else's lobster, even if they are all short did he let you take 3 pics of 3 short lobsters? Probably not , and where are his 3 pict of those 3 short lobsters? If he has not proof of 3 short lobsters in your file , u win. Contaminated evidence, insufficient proof.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ultimate Catch
    Upvote 0
    Nov 1, 2004
    Yorba Linda
    Name
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Sorry. Lobster diver for over 40 years. My thought if the gauge fits don't comit. Let it go. Never had a lobster issue with DFG but a few other issues.

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 18, 2005
    Vista
    Name
    Ray Collier
    Boat
    23' Sea Swirl Striper
    What you need is an accurate measuring device.
    Heres what I use while diving.I like to set it about .001 on the high side just to be absolutely sure :)View attachment 547670

accurate lobster gauge.

I checked all of my gauges and they are at 3.27 I take a few swipes with a file to make sure never had a problem.

Upvote 0

seacock

Aug 5, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    pete
    Boat
    22', Sea-Ray, Seacock
    Same thing happened to me three years ago on opening night (caught with 2 alleged shorts). I sweated it out for two or three months, showed up in court for the hearing and they told me when the actual case would be herd. Another waiting period..... I was so consumed by this for 5 or 6 months. Worry about what could happen, fines, jail time, over a 1/32 of an inch, if that. Well, the big day finaly comes and "they" (the DFG ) are no shows , Awsome ....case dismissed ! One of those "best days ever". If you havn't had some yet, live right and you will.

Reactions: Ultimate Catch
    Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Photo shows a short. You can't be a little short and still be legal. Very expensive risk to take.

The photo is misleading, as UltimateCatch said the other end of the gauge wasn't seated properly between the eyes. Unfortunately, the photo he posted doesn't help him, as it only shows the gauge on the back of the carapice. I've seen a lot of guys measure bugs incorrectly. This one is going to cost some $$$ for sure.

Upvote 0

conchydong

Untitled
    Jun 5, 2008
    Pompano Beach FL
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Rock Bottom
    The photo is misleading, as UltimateCatch said the other end of the gauge wasn't seated properly between the eyes. Unfortunately, the photo he posted doesn't help him, as it only shows the gauge on the back of the carapice. I've seen a lot of guys measure bugs incorrectly. This one is going to cost some $$$ for sure.

Call me dumb, but if the gauge wasn't seated properly in the photo and on the skin flap and not on the hard part of the carapace between the eyes, it would be showing it as a larger lobster than what it is. Just the opposite of your argument.

Reactions: Carl
    Upvote 0

armand

Almost A Member
    Aug 27, 2007
    norwalk
    Name
    chucklehead
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Raider
    Got checked while hooping had my lobster licence but did not have fishing licence said he could give me ticket but let me slide. I would get as many extensions as I could on court date before appearing, did that on traffic ticket, cop was a no show.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.