One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Just got back from hooping in SD Bay. Got 14 keepers! On my way in I was boarded by Fish and Game, he asked us for our docs and permission to ckeck my boat.

I was fine with the search, I had nothing to hide. He then asked, "who measured this bug"? I said, I did!!! He then said "I believe it is short".

I challenged him and said, "No it's not". He then said "are you questioning my authority " ?

I said "well yes, I believe you are wrong" . Fuck, big mistake!!! He became a real dick after I said that. He took the bug to his truck and told me, "you wait here", then came back and asked for my ID.

I followed him to his truck and asked what he was doing with the bug, he placed it in a cooler with Three other bugs and said, "I'm going to release it after I give you a citation".

I said " I insist that you measure it and let me get a photographer of you doing it , cause its not short".

He was pissed at this point and hell bent on writing the citation. I checked it twice before keeping it and it was "border line" but legal!

Bastared wrote me a citation and said it was short and that I was in violation.

I took the pic but he insisted that he be the one to measure it. Shoud I fight this or what do you guys think?

0928140310.jpg

0928140209.jpg

If you notice, he is not placing the gauge right at the tip of the eyes, it's slightly below .

I released 9 shorts and one "questionable" one, so there was no way this one was short!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

fishkiller1

May 1, 2007
    Lakewood, CA
    Name
    Nathan
    Boat
    25' Farallon
    I never keep them unless they are well beyond legal for this exact reason. I have been in the same situation but played stupid and they allowed me to release it and let me go with a warning. The bug I let go was legal but I wasn't going to piss them off. They can turn into dicks pretty quick. I actually took a file to my gauges and took off another 1/8" just to be sure I would never have that issue again.

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 18, 2005
    Vista
    Name
    Ray Collier
    Boat
    23' Sea Swirl Striper
    I use a file and take a few good swipes so I know there will be no problem. Also there is a small section of skin between the eyes, if you catch that when you measure them it will be short. I learned that lesson last year when I measures what I thought was legal bug. When the game warden check it was a bit under size. He then showed me what happened, I was shocked! he was right. He told me to toss it which I did. He was really cool. No site but a lesson learned. After we packed the boat up I went over to thank him again. He saved me about a 500.00 ticket. Just my 2 cents.

The proper way he said was is to slide the gauge over the head till it slips into the notch between the eyes. This way it misses that skin flap, then bring it over the back. If you come in from the front the way most people do you have a good chance to catch that meaty little flat and you are screwed! Lesson learned.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    a miter saw and a carbide tipped blade with "legalize" your gauge easily....be careful th e fines are steeper in Taxifornia then anywhere in the country for being a human and making a mistake

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    If you have the time, I'd fight it and show up in court. Explain your side of the case, you may get your fine reduced, the officer might not show up for the court date. If you don't show up, you lose and you get to pay, and I think you might be surprised at how high the penalty is for this, good luck.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    will the lobster be needed to be presented as evidence? or will the judge accept the word of the trained professional? and if you lose, will there be a higher penalty to pay?

but Xabout10 on filing the gauge to make it a wee bit bigger.

Reactions: Saluki
    Upvote 0

pura vida

Pura Vida II
    Jan 29, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Gene Miller
    Boat
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    He's an ass hole and you may win and save the citation fee, but you'll spend many, many hours trying to win. Been there and done that

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Your not going to win, but you might get some court experience and in the future take ones that are very legal and not just made it ones. Seems like those will always get you.

Isn't 9 bugs enough anyways for a night?

I released 9!!! I kept 14.... also I had a total of 5 guys on the boat!!!

Upvote 0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Downey/Ca/USA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Paddywagon
    Bummer. I would just pay it and save the agro of fighting it. I have heard to many stories like yours and throw back anything that is even close, both bugs and fish. Sounds more like a contempt of cop ticket. Playing dumb might have been the way.

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
    Apr 3, 2005
    North OC
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
    They are out in full force this year which is good to stop people from taking shorts or too many! The 3 wardens I've met this year have been super cool. I file all my gauges about a 1/8-1/4 so I never have issues but my buddy had one opening night he checked 3 times with his new gauge and it measured legal warden checked it and it stuck in his gauge. He pulled it off and did it again and it stuck hard that he was able to hold the gauge and the bug remained airborne lol he said that one. Is REALLLY close but legal and sent us on our way. Another warden at the ramp was checking everyone and was showing how to properly measure and that one that stuck the others gauge measured a solid legal in the second wardens measuring.

Keep it shaved and you won't have issues... ;)

Upvote 0

Rocketscyther

Jul 7, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    M&M Candy
    If you fight it... and they don't dismiss or lessen penalty on the first day, you might be looking at 5 to 6 separate court appearances = 5-6 days off work/vacation time burned... but note, not only are you looking at a Large Fine... you are also looking at a Misdemeanor on your record. If you don't have a job, good luck finding one... Or two more "strikes" and you are out. IMO, Fishing Violations like this should be an "Infraction" (fix it ticket/toss it back), not "Misdemeanor" (Hard Core Criminal) e.g. DUI, Shop Lifting, etc. If you had a Cooler Full of Shorts, then that's a different story...

Last edited:
    Reactions: MJB and Larmo
    Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    You will definitely win in court. All you have to do is show the picture you took of the short bug.

The picture you posted doesn't look like it will help you. I think you are just going to have to eat the fine :(

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Rob, sorry to hear that you got the ticket, Fish and game used to be such nice guys I don't know what happened.

As far as "Altering" the gauge I would check to see if that is not against the rules. I remember reading something about a guy getting a ticket from the California Fish and Game Nazi for not having a proper gauge. I could just see them ticketing a bunch of guys for this chicken shit reason. I would check the rules before altering the gauge.

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
    Jul 11, 2004
    San Diego
    www.lawrenceshea.com
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Your Cabo
    will the lobster be needed to be presented as evidence? or will the judge accept the word of the trained professional? and if you lose, will there be a higher penalty to pay?

but Xabout10 on filing the gauge to make it a wee bit bigger.[/quote

The lobster is not killed so it can be evidence.

That is a short. Pay the ticket.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
    Mar 9, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
    From a novice POV.
    Clearly short from the pic. If the officer was cheating from the front, he hid it well enough to back up the citation... You will loose unless he doesn't show up to the court date.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
    if you notice he(warden) measured it WRONG!!! this pic is taken from the cfg website!
    lobster.jpg

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    If they are barely legal or "close" I let them go. I have been known to be a dick on my own boat for this reason. I know when the DFW have an attitude it's hard not to react but I have found most are willing to let small infractions slide a little if you are honest with them. It's too late this time. I would have said I threw away 14 shorts and honestly thought this one was legal. Can I let it go right now? You put the officer in the position to defend his opinion and in this case you lost yours.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.