SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Starting my newest build, which is a F-100. Did a good 4 hours of work on handle, turks head and guide placement a few nights ago and so far so good. I took it outside with the guides mocked up to confirm the guide spacing and also see how it felt with a Tady 45 and really feel like I picked winner. I can't wait to fish this one!!

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The tool looked exactly like the one MH sells for $30, I picked it up for $15 at a booth called Custom Rod Components, they are launching a new rod building site soon.

Not sure if they will be at Del Mar or not.

Basically the tool is an 2" aluminum pipe with small threaded rods installed around the top and bottom of the pipe. Could easily do it with any rod type device like a wine cork or something and some pins.

The kit was especially cool because it came with a needle to help pass the rope over and under following the pattern.

Turkshead-Knot-Jig_media-1.jpg

Reactions: Andy253
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
So just wanted to follow up on this for guys looking for a great casting 10' blank. Measured out my topshot and it was 80 yards and the reel wasn't 100% full. I am not the best caster (certainly decent, but not a legend) and I was easily casting my full mono topshot and getting my spectra connection out of the guides. I took this old mono off, stripped off a little more braid and respooled with new line. Heading out on 2 day islands trip tonight and hopefully can pull on some fish with this rod finially. Really just wanted to let you all know how much of a 45/7x whipping machine this blank can be.

Upvote 0