F’n Dorado

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by BigJ186, Sep 20, 2018.

1. BigJ186

BigJ186 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Headed out last Thursday night out of Dana point made some macs and got a scoop of sardines. wanted to hit the tuna grounds by San Clemente but got way too rough so went and hid out at Catalina. Friday morning at grey light headed to backside of Catalina to find ton of boats trolling back there I guess there was a marlin tourney going on. Way too crowded for me so I headed to 277. Found perfect color water and 73 deg water. Found a beautiful paddy with dodo’s all over it. I threw everything at them. They were focused all some micro bait very frustrating. But just want to give a shout out to all the boats that passed by us and didn’t try to swoop in on our kelp paddy. I don’t know what the edicate is but if I see a boat on kelp I let them do their thing. What do you guys do?

Zika, luckyfisher7, mycarman and 2 others like this.
  2. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I think the proper thing to do is anchor on the paddy! err.

:D

Bradleyjbush, OIF VET and @-EZ like this.
  3. Jaysons999

Jaysons999 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    I call out the numbers of the paddy they’re on and say I’m limited out. Then I fish all the abandoned paddies that people leave.

4. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    small swim baits, kastmasters, tie an anchovy pattern fly behind a popper or a mega bait, light line, match the hatch...

5. John S.

John S. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
    That is freaking funny. Good plan though.

John

6. shamitch74

shamitch74 Member

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    18' Mako CC
    punch it and head right over the middle of it !! Now there are two paddy's:food-smiley-014:

tmines, BigJ186, clevel and 2 others like this.
  7. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    I prefer to motor up to the paddy, pull out the gaff and yank the paddy into the boat. This assures the micro-bait gets eaten, the dorado leave, then I hop into the drink and ride on the back of the remaining Mola.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  8. dudeman

dudeman Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fish Taco
    Those sound like great ideas. One of those old school kastmasters are small, heavy enough to cast and good action. Maybe put a black stripe on it eh? And a fly behind the popper- brilliant.

9. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    I'll try to catch them on the radio and ask if I am not seeing any around. Usually if you find one there can be more around it. Also, if it really is loaded, you don't need to be super close to it to get bit. You can fish at a not very offensive distance. I made the mistake of waving someone in on the 279 a month and a half ago or so and they parked right on the damn thing. Didn't know what they were doing.

10. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Break out the fly rod.

11. _Ferbz_

_Ferbz_ i came i saw i conquered

Name:
    Furby
    Boat:
    Master Baiter 19' Trophy CC
    Did you throw a brale see if they respond sometimes you can get them all chummed up . I have had them respond to chunk aswell cut up some dead never hurts . If all else fails jump in and force feed them a spear .

12. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Micro-bait rig: Bring a package of the Gulp 2.5" fake minnows, skinny little things that look like baby smelt or grunion or anchovies. Put one or two on an Owner #4 Mutu circle hook so that they are swimming, not run up the hook like a worm. The hook is tied to a three foot leader of 20# fluorocarbon, and a small black swivel. Before tying your line to the swivel, put on a small sliding sinker. As you swish this rig for a moment in the water before you cast, it should look just like a pair of tiny baitfish swimming -- if it doesn't, you rigged it wrong, so re-do. Cast out far enough away from the kelp paddy so that it won't get tangled in a kelp frond as it sinks slowly.

This is the only rig that I have found to work, about half of the time. You want a circle hook so that the dorado gets the hook into the corner of the jaw and away from the teeth. And remember to lower the rod every time he jumps, don't rear back. If you have a buddy using a similar rig, don't gaff the first dorado until your friend hooks a second one. Try to keep one going as long as possible. The action seems to turn on the school.

13. BigJ186

BigJ186 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I had my speargun aboard but forgot my mask never will forget it again. I threw everything at them. They were focused on that micro bait

14. BigJ186

BigJ186 Newbie

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Wow that’s good info to stack in my arsenal thank you!!

surfgoose likes this.