Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
As a lifelong boat owner, maybe I can offer a few observations? Planning on 2 trips per month, you might be better off riding the sport boats. The problem with quantifying costs associated with boat ownership begins with the word boat. It’s merely an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand. Anyone who figures this is hogwash hasn’t owned a boat for very long!
This is an expensive lifestyle and if you keep track of your yearly expenses, you’ll be shocked. At least if you fish regularly.
It’s only money, you only live once.
Buy the boat you want, fish the crap out of it and damn the expenses.

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I'm not a boat owner, but...

Annually, ~$4k is going towards owning the boat and ~$36K - $4K = $32K is consumable.

How many 6-pack charters would $32K buy in your area? Just something to think about.

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0

Darksails

I like bourbon.
    Sep 10, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Blaine
    Boat
    Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'
    Triple the cost of fuel. Insurance is too high, figure $750 or so. And slip fee is $180 or so too low. Also, diver should be $75 or so a month, including zincs for the year. Maintenance is about right.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Just googled 30ft Skipjack with twin diesels, $339k. How about an upper end 27-28ft with outboards? good luck

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    Very rough, but note, storage, insurance & other routine costs plus 10% of boat price, annually.

Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 24, 2004
    Texas
    Name
    David
    Boat
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    At 30 feet even if the motors don't work you can still have a weekend getaway spot. And fish off the stern in a slip!

I keep hearing about "fishing off the stern in the slip". Where I come from, the only people that bow into the slip, are blow boaters. All the power boats back into the slip. Makes it much nicer spending time on the boat in the slip.

• Haha
    Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

fishboy93

Jul 25, 2012
    West Coast
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    It floats
    Shoot a pm if you’re Serious. You should add in another $5k a year for maintenance and start looking for a Early 90s tiara or a a blackfin with gassers because a diesel twin screw for $75k and that yearly budget isn’t gonna happen most likely.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Planning on 2 trips per month, you might be better off riding the sport boats.

I doubt there is any number of trips you can do on a slipped private boat that is less expensive (on a per trip basis, after all costs, including depreciation) than sports boats. I think lots of guys talk themselves into a boat with the idea that they are saving money (the really dilusional guys think its an investment). IMO / IME, private boating is going to cost more but the experience is entirely different. If you are the guy who enjoys planning his own route, going on a whim, backing out on a whim, and making all the decisions that go into a trip (and there are MANY), vs the kind of guy who would rather let someone else do it all for you, then owning a private boat may be worth the extra cost. My first boat was a 13.5' with a 35 hp outboard (which I routinely took to Catalina, and that was in the days before gps or even Loran -- dead reconing was the only way to navigate unless you could a afford a rdf and triangulate on some radio station towers). It was worth the added cost (compared to the occassional party boat trip), and I worked my way up from there, owning about 13 boats along the way. Each cost a little more than the one before, but that incremental cost has always been outweighed the extra benefit of a little more range, comfort and fishing capabilities. So, if you are concerned about cost, maybe start a little smaller and work your way up. (Or maybe you are starting a little smaller -- a buddy of mine started with a 40' twin diesel.)

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I only have a 16' starcraft aluminum skiff and it's always one thing after the other LOL.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Theft.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    With your budget ditto the idea that the boat will need upgrading to get it close to current standards. Not just electronics etc but likely deferred maintenance and even if you do the work yourself it is not cheap. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a killer deal but more likely you'll be getting the boat into good shape for some time.

+1 on the idea that if you love spending time on the ocean then screw the money - live for fun.

Upvote 0

miaf

Apr 14, 2013
    Name
    Boat
    I keep hearing about "fishing off the stern in the slip". Where I come from, the only people that bow into the slip, are blow boaters. All the power boats back into the slip. Makes it much nicer spending time on the boat in the slip.

In my marina all boats are bow in. Not sure why you would want to back in, so when your hanging out in the cockpit, your just staring at the dock and watching people walk by. Much nicer bow in and hanging off the stern when water is your view and you can fish!

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    In my marina all boats are bow in. Not sure why you would want to back in, so when your hanging out in the cockpit, your just staring at the dock and watching people walk by. Much nicer bow in and hanging off the stern when water is your view and you can fish!
    I think it is how your marina is designed/built.

Upvote 0

Mnico

Almost A Member
    Dec 1, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    Name
    Mike Nicoletti
    Boat
    pending
    All points are valid and very helpful, seems like my "conservative" ballpark is within the margin of error, but agreed it really comes down to how much i would actually use it given lifes demands.

Being relatively new to SD and only really fishing on cattle boats, i don't yet have a consistent PB ride which is why I'm itching for my own. Based on the numbers, in the meantime sounds like i should be offering to pay 100% of trip expenses when im lucky enough to get the invite 🛥🛥.

Upvote 0

pura vida

Pura Vida II
    Jan 29, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Gene Miller
    Boat
    Pura Vida II, 500 mile range
    If 30 ft is your 1st, I'd take a very good honest friend with you that has a history of owning boats.

I've owned 4 boats and every sale will be missed, but there is a cost for this hobby, and you'll be very foolish if you don't look at the costs of this hobby.

Upvote 0

jiminoc

• May 5, 2005
    Trabuco Canyon
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    boat-less but looking
    you're close enough in the ballpark. Add 10% and call it a day.

other things to maybe buy:
    • scuba mask (cut line on prop)
    • additional life jackets/safety gear
    • epirb ($500+)
    • PLB (if fishing alone, smart to have one on)
    • fillet knife set
    • bait table
    • upgrade with more rod holders
    • you'll probably need to upgrade electronics on the boat
    • handheld vhf radio
    • ditch bag with supplies
    • good offshore first aid kit
    • deck brushes
    • cleaning supplies
    • detailing supplies
    • hoses / split connection to flush motors and wash
    • new fishing gear - gotta get some new rod/reels for the boat, guest setups, trolling setups, etc...
    • vaccum chamber sealer for all your new fish
    • extra dockline/rope
    • new ground tackle - probably dated or insufficient ($800+)
    • need a diver every month if slipped
    • cleaning gets old after a long trip so you may want a bi-weekly washdown for ~$100 a month
    • set of tools and toolbox for the boat
    • weather services (buoyweather, or you can use windy for free)
    • fishdope yearly membership
    • navionics ipad app to plan out trips with good contouring

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    If this is going to be your first foray into boat ownership, I’d suggest you start smaller and go up from there as your experience increases. A solid smaller craft will allow you to gain experience much more cost effectively and you’ll use it more due to its lower operating expense. There’s a very real reason you see people start with smaller craft and progress up. It gives you time to learn what features matter to you in a boat and the inevitable mistakes we all make along the way are cheaper experiences.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    If this is your first boat, it is unlikely that you will own it for 20 years, so I question the wisdom of financing over that term. In all probability, you will want to sell it, for one reason or another, in just a few years, 5 at the outside. On a 20 year loan, you will owe almost as much then as you do on the day you buy the boat -- meaning your equity will be diminishing over that period of time. Depending on how much of the purchase price you borrow (and the top 10% is going to sales tax so that doesn't count as equity), you may not have equity even the day after you buy. So, my advice would be to borrow for a much shorter term. That way, a couple years in when you decide you want a bigger boat (or that you don't want a boat at all), you will have growing equity.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    If this is your first boat, it is unlikely that you will own it for 20 years, so I question the wisdom of financing over that term. In all probability, you will want to sell it, for one reason or another, in just a few years, 5 at the outside. On a 20 year loan, you will owe almost as much then as you do on the day you buy the boat -- meaning your equity will be diminishing over that period of time. Depending on how much of the purchase price you borrow (and the top 10% is going to sales tax so that doesn't count as equity), you may not have equity even the day after you buy. So, my advice would be to borrow for a much shorter term. That way, a couple years in when you decide you want a bigger boat (or that you don't want a boat at all), you will have growing equity.

This is what folks do in 'merica. Lust after what you can't afford and buy crap you don't need with borrowed money. Repeat as often as possible until you're bankrupt,. If you've already gone bankrupt, do it again cuz you got out of jail free. As a seasoned veteran with experience you can do the bankruptcy dance even better!

Upvote 0