Exhaust issue for 2320 - 225 Yamaha

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY, Jan 17, 2017.

1. #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

#WHERESTHEKELPPADDY Newbie

Name:
    TODD JOHNSON
    Boat:
    PANGA
    I am looking a buying a 2320 and the seller told me that there is an exhaust problem with the boat. He told me this is typical for the 2004 and earlier years. Is this true?

The seller told me it is an easy fix and offered a $500 credit off the sale price. Does this sound accurate?

If you have any information regarding exhaust problems for the Parker, let me know.

Thanks fellow BD members!

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Ive studied this pretty decently when buying my parker. I want to say that the fix is 2-3k if not more. Its a MAJOR problem. Also, new 225 is approx $23k. I would step away or ask seller to have proof from shop that corrosion issue has been taken care of .

3. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Whaler Guardian
    seller should fix motor prior to closing deal. often, neglected exhaust can ruin powerhead which is obviously more than a $500 fix.

should do oil pump while at it....

4. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Not even remotely true!

The corrosion issue has to fixed or you will blow up your power heads as noted above. If the corrosion has started already you need to have that checked.

The cost for the conversion kit and to change out the exhaust is $2,200. That is based on quotes from 3 different mechanics my 200 HP 2004 Yamaha.

FHisherman and Fishingguy like this.
  5. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Tell the buyer to fix it then you may buy the boat,,,,

6. #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Name:
    TODD JOHNSON
    Boat:
    PANGA
    What year is the exhaust issue not problem anymore? Parker manufacturered after 2006? It the problem only 2320 and 2310 for 2004?

7. evilkhemist

evilkhemist Member

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Parker 2510xld
    Really??? You need to learn alot more about boats. Its a yamaha outboard issue, has nothing to do with Parker boats.

8. angelinasdad

angelinasdad Captain

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    At least he told you there is a corrosion issue as many would not. However he is way off on the cost to of the kit and to have the kit installed. Everything stated above is accurate. If the damage is beyond the repair kit fix the cost would go up even higher. Have him get the repair done by a Yamaha approved warranty center that you can count on or bypass the deal. I am not saying it is a warranty issue but you don't want just anyone the seller chooses to do the work. You should be concerned and do your homework. I don't know the seller but if it was just $500 to fix the repair, it would likely already be done. Think about it, that is cheaper than a service. If some one deferred $500 in repairs on a boat like that I would also be concerned about that. My advise is look elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    CIO
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/yamaha-f225-4stroke-exhaust-corrosion.459471/

I would not buy it unless it is fixed and you inspect the powerhead to exhaust connection while it is being repaired. If he knows there's an exhaust problem, props for him disclosing it, then the issue could be worse than just the exhaust kit.

The engine and boat are worth the investment if you split he cost of the repair AND change your oil pump while you have the block in the air.

10. #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY

Name:
    TODD JOHNSON
    Boat:
    PANGA
    Which engines seem to have the exhaust problem? is it all Yamaha 250F?
    Or was there a specific year?

Hardcor likes this.
  11. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    i believe 03-05 v6's. not sure about the v8's or 4cylinder. Pulle the lower unit and look for white spots.

12. Polo101

Polo101 Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Parker 2310, 13' Gregor
    Bought an 05 with the 04 motor (225) and had the exhaust inspection done before the deal was signed. Cost $200 for the inspection. Negotiated a $2500 discount to have the exhaust condition resolved. Did not look too bad....
    Long story short, when the motor was torn down to do the work (after deal was done) power head was found to be very corroded. We built up the bad area with JB weld after grinding the bad areas, and I am now looking forward to a repower in the next 12 months or so. About 30 hours since the temp repair. Good thing I didn't remove that kicker!!

Point is, could cost 20k plus to fix the problem; that's a lot of gas and gear!

13. Mickdick

Mickdick Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Parker 2310
    $500-ha! That should take care of an oil change and a lower unit service, not an exhaust replacement...

14. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    For your own sake, please do more research. See the boating discussion forum here. There are pages and pages of information on the issue, pinned at the top.

If your corrosion issue is even remotely advanced, you can count on the repair kit ($1800-2k job and add a few hundred more for oil pump while your at it) and likely a new powerhead. Basically, if the corrosion has already started and is high up in the exhaust channel, I'd be pricing that boat with no motor.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  15. Foreel Sportfishing

Foreel Sportfishing Newbie

Name:
    Cliff
    Boat:
    Foreel II, Foreel I, Foreel Mx..
    The last statement is true..had it done on a 250..1800 bucks..all is well now.

16. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    The issue is mainly in the earlier model 225 hp Yamahas if I recall correctly. The best guess was the exhaust sleeve was made of the wrong grade metal, allowing pitting thru the tube going up into the power head...once the pitting opens up into the power head,saltwater will enter into the head and it is a goner...The only way ot know for sure, is to drop the lower unit and shine a flashlight up into the exhaust tube to view the extent of pitting....Check Boat U.S. and The Hull Truth online for more info...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  17. Ralph Leino

Ralph Leino Newbie

Name:
    Ralph Leino
    Boat:
    2003 Contender 31
    YAMAHA 4-STROKE F225

DRY EXHAUST CORROSION

I bought a used 2003 contender 31, in September of 2015. I went all out, got my captain’s license and was getting ready to start an off-shore fishing team with my teenage boys and friends. We were able to go fishing in Galveston Bay once. Then after thorough maintenance and beautification of the entire boat, we put out in Lake Conroe to check everything out before going out off-shore. As we pulled away from the dock, not even 2 minutes out, the temperature buzzer sounded. I looked back and the starboard motor water spout quit spraying, and the motor started idling down. Back to the ramp on port motor, thinking of how much $$$$ this is about hurt!

I didn’t know about the dry exhaust corrosion issues so being mechanically inclined, I began going through standard trouble shooting steps. I pulled the lower and changed the water pump that was scuttled. Then I noticed milky oil blow by in the intake. Next I thoroughly cleaned my intake, and ran a compression test on the motor. I had 10-15 psi less in cylinder 3 and 5. So I was prompted to do a leak down test. Every cylinder tested in the green except 3 and 5, but we couldn’t locate were it was going. Then we pulled the heads to find no serious damage, just a little corrosion in the head of 3 and 5. We assumed that was where the leak down was going into the cylinder so slightly we couldn’t hear it. I had the heads completely overhauled with a local machine shop for about $400 each.

I took it back to the lake for a break-in test run. Started out perfect, purring at idle and low speeds for 30 minutes. Then I increased to 3k rpms, and cruised good for about 5 minutes then idled down on its own and went into safety mode. So back to the ramp on port motor again, thinking I’m glad there is two motors on this or I’d be paddling!

I started doing my research online this time, and found the hull truth. After reading through several post I started drinking and thinking of how big the fire would be! The next day I found an awesome marine parts company PARTSVU, and got the kit for $600 each plus new oil pumps. They had excellent prices and knowledgeable staff that guided me through this travesty. As I started the tear down I was literally getting depressed as each part was removed showing the devastation.

There was an extensive list of parts in the corrosion rebuild kit. There are still a few things that I think should be added to it though. The water tube was corroded and was damaged during removal. Also the motor mid-section mounting bolts and rubber bushings were in bad shape, needing replacement. This is the new assembly almost ready for installation and sea trial.

I will update on performance after finishing and testing on the water!

20170224_224130.jpg 20170226_084215.jpg 20170226_084119.jpg 20170226_084040.jpg 20170226_083757.jpg 20170226_083730.jpg 20170226_084425.jpg 20170226_084548.jpg 20170226_084607.jpg

aguachico likes this.
  18. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    You need to Google Yamaha outboard corrosion and the hull truth. The read the threads for the next 2 days. That will bring you up to speed on the F225 (mainly) and F250 issues.