Exceptionally strongly felt best wishes for a Happy New Year.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    To my Bloody Decks friends.

Best wishes, and …

I apologize for the evidence of melancholy in my last post. The last 4 ½ days of that 7 day trip were likely the best that could have been made of the circumstance and were thoroughly enjoyed by many on the boat. Roy and the crew were just plain excellent. Over the last few days, I have been trying to sort my swings of recollections. Not yet gelled why this trip was special.

I have found that the discipline of writing my thoughts helps me get those thoughts together. Professionally I write medical reports, which requires discipline, but is only occasionally satisfying in terms of helping me understand something I‘d like to better comprehend. In my last post, about a somewhat disappointing 7-day trip, I recounted some technique lessons learned, but bemoaned the trip overall. As I contemplate the trip now, a few days later I see that the disappointment was very much heightened by the context of 2020, Covid, a general divisiveness in public discourse and what I perceive to be a deepened sidedness to politics, replete with dishonesty, that for me is unprecedented, and actually painful.

Ok, Vetter, bring it back to fishing. Lord John Buchan wrote, “The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.” Hope is one of the cardinal virtues. Hope has been horribly suppressed by 2020. I asked my high school senior daughter about plans for prom. She explained there are none, not even a contingency venue to use if our governor opens things up a little. She explains that her class had hopes for the musical production, which was cancelled on opening night last March.( Actually “postponed,” but then never rescheduled.) They had hopes for this fall, but school never opened. (We are in in Oregon.) She explained that getting one’s hopes up makes disappointments more painful. She is likely right. Also, I see too often patients whose anxiety, psychosocial stressors and suppressed hopes have caused both symptoms and physical disease.

My hopes for my 7 day were very high. Fishing is for me an escapist behavior that I both crave and prepare for with intensity. What I specifically craved was offshore “special events” fishing. Being “stuck” doing inshore stuff would likely not have been so “not OK” in another year. As you know I try to not use words that would be in any way offensive to anyone. (Oh, there might be a few. Please don’t do a reporter thing and confront me with them.) But, 2020 has sucked!

May the new year bring successful vaccine distribution, a unifying evolution in our politics, and a return of fun to so many things we look forward to with hope, (including Guadalupe.)

I wish to all my BD friends an exceptionally good holiday season and an especially Happy New Year.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Really was a dissapointing year, you would hope a nation wide crisis would bring us together as a nation as it has in the past but the opposite has occurred.
    I'm usually a glass half full kinda of guy but now I think I just need to use a smaller glass.
    Happy New Year, hope next years trip is better for you!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    There is a multi dimensional aspect to a fishing trip. Waking up and seeing the sun rise on a flat calm seas puts me in a different world. Get ready for what the day offers. I am more of a visual experience. Totally addicted to seeing the fish eat the bait. Love the kite, surface iron. And going to places far off with islands or coastline that are incredible to see.

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year to you too, Locvetter! Focus on the positive when you can and you will be healthier in the long run. Most of us have endured slower than expected fishing trips. It is part of the obsession...

Cheers!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    I can relate, Loc. I decided that doing my usual “long” trip this year was not a good idea both personally and professionally, and it sure stung to stay dockside.
    Here’s to righting the ship in 2021! Maybe it will also be the year that you and Kevin and I share some rail time as an added bonus?!?

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Locvetter,
    Your LR post was fine and welcome. I thought you were very positive about the whole experience, even tho you were somewhat disappointed. (I would have been a little disappointed too, but I'm not sure if I could have the same equanimity as you.)

And you are correct in two ways:
    1] This has been a very difficult year, which likely put more pressure on you wanting your rare fun trip to be perfect.

2] The whole process of fishing is about hope. I find that most fishermen are positive thinkers. Who else would throw out a lure or a bait into the ocean (that's a lot of water!) and actually expect to get a fish!! 😉 I think we may not realize it all the time, but, in my opinion, the sport selects for people who have good attitudes and expect productive outcomes. I don't think pessimists would last long at fishing.

Finally, thank you for the New's Years wishes, and back at you. Catch many fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    William Vetter -

Your enthusiasm for LR fishing needs to be imparted to a generation that doesnt have your passion. From destructive tackle testing to over the top tackle storage!!

As you and Bill W stated fishing is different for so many. I made my living commercial fishing. I have seen and experienced things others cant imagine.

What we do comes from a place that many cant understand.

Talk with Tim Turis, Choate, Ken Cirks, BHP its about more than catching. Catching is what you do when your new and inexperienced.

Enjoying and reflection is what you do when you have nothing else to prove.

2021 will be better because 2020 is rock bottom.

Upvote 0

Bigdog 1961

Desert Sportfisherman
    Aug 1, 2015
    Cave Creek AZ
    Name
    David Piazza
    Boat
    Been there done that
    I have had the same feelings right after a trip that didn’t live up to my expectations and the hype of my preperations as I am sure many others have felt the same thing; but as time goes by you reflect on the experience and you realize you didn’t catch quantity or maybe quality you were expecting but you were out on the water with other good people and it was sure better than working. As a lurker on the forum I love to live the trips through your postings. I am up to three days trips and hopefully in the very near future I will take that 8-10 day trip. Thank you to everyone for your stories. We can only pray this virus will be a horror memory and very soon we can all be back on the water. Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to eveone.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I think John nailed it. The fishing is great and a large part of the trip but I love being out on the water and away from the madness of everyday life. It just brings an inner peace. It's not for everyone and something very few get to experience and be a part of.

2020 is almost done and in the rear view mirror. 2021 will be much better and the bright side is all the fish we didn't catch in 2020 will be bigger in 2021. Happy New Year

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
    Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I think John nailed it. The fishing is great and a large part of the trip but I love being out on the water and away from the madness of everyday life. It just brings an inner peace. It's not for everyone and something very few get to experience and be a part of.

2020 is almost done and in the rear view mirror. 2021 will be much better and the bright side is all the fish we didn't catch in 2020 will be bigger in 2021. Happy New Year

Agree with Dan, pretty much how I feel about it. I count every trip as a blessing. Took years of hard work and patience but the pay-off is there. I love long range fishing. Happy Holidays to all.

Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Dear Mr. Vetter,

I for one very much enjoyed your report and understood the ruminations. It's easy nowadays have a jaundiced view of almost any activity, given the difficult circumstances we're all living in!

The quotation you cited: "Lord John Buchan wrote, “The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.”, is spot on for a current environment, as it was back in the day for angling.

It's got to be incredibly difficult for young lady graduating high school the not have an opportunity to celebrate the conclusion of four years work in a class production. Likely doubly difficult not to have a prom. As we can all recall social circumstances at the end of high school are particularly worth a right of passage, valedictory. Whatever and wherever your daughter is doing next in her life, (I hope she is aiming high!) the future does hold those numerous aforementioned "perpetual series of occasions for hope." I'm certain you must have counseled her accordingly. ( … anyone with a heart, has to be compelled by the loss of something so important in the burgeoning life of a young adult.)

Yes indeed "2020 has sucked." Therefore; it will not be particularly hard to beat in 2021, most especially if you're booked on a couple of long-range adventures.

"May the new year bring successful vaccine distribution, a unifying evolution in our politics, and a return of fun to so many things we look forward to with hope, (including Guadalupe.)" = 1000X !

Very much appreciate your perspective.

Last edited:
    Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0