I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 27, 2004
Mountain View CA
Visit site
Name
Robert Young
Boat
20' Skippy
Looking hard at an upcoming 10 day on the big boat which i have never fished on before. When was the last face lift to interior and upgrade to machinery, not a big factor just curious.

Thanks

dtf

Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Don't know about upgrades, but would be nice if they would post fish counts / conditions??

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Not sure what upgrades you are looking for but they spend $300k+ per year in dry dock and keeping her nice n' shiny. They hold as much bait as I imagine a boat can hold as they don't ration it and have never had the need to go catch more. We have caught bait at mag bay and Alijos bank but was more of the want for big macks. I 'm obviously biased and couldn't care less about fishing the slide. I do just fine each trip by following the rules and helping out those with less fish than I wan to take.

I am on the pelagic 11 day leaving after thanksgiving and couldn't imagine doing it on another operation. But, YMMV

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
To each his own but I really don't like that boat becuse of the bait tank and no fishing on the slide.
Also you will eat a lot of fish and rice in your daily meals & appetizers at least every other day. Their quality and quantity of servings also changed when the new owners took over awhile ago. The boat has changed since bill owned it, and not for better. Just my 2 cents and some people will disagree and that's their opinion, Just like mine.

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
"you will eat a lot of fish and rice in your daily meals & appetizers at least every other day." -- Factually incorrect on my 3 trips in the past 16 months (8, 16, and 10 day).

"quality" -- Indeed an opinion, so no argument there. We all have our favorite cooks spread across the fleet and even on a particular boat. Yes, I've found the quality to always be good, with an uptick to exceptional when Joe was in the galley.

"quantity" -- You can have as many meals as you want and until you puke....so also factually incorrect.

Having only seen pics of other boats and not been on them, I'd still say shes on par with them. I think the Intrepid has tv's in the staterooms, which sounds cool. I, however, prefer to hang out with other passengers...chat...learn...listen to stories of past trips rather than watch tv....so that's not important for me.

I like the Excel, I fish the Excel, and will be doing so again on the 16 in February. The boat looks good, fishes good, rides good, and I like the crew an awful lot. As of now, I'm not looking to fish any other operations.

I do agree that I wish the website would have more in depth reports....

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Not a lot of fish served on my 3 trips on the boat this year. Maybe two meals each trip (fish tacos or torta for lunch and some fancy yellowtail dinner). Also tough to follow a legend in Bill Poole. Everyone has their own wants/needs so ride the boat that fits your style

Reactions: Saponi73 and kevina

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
Galley door fix...nope. I hope they never do so Gallagher will keep yelling at me....

Last edited:
Reactions: stephen campbell

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
San Marcos
Name
Anthony
Boat
None
Close the Damn Door? What a nice group, with Big Al we get "close the #$%^&*( Door!" I would not have it any other way

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
May 28, 2015
Name
RIP Jim Peterson
Boat
Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
It sits low to the water, and gets plenty wet. Bring plenty of changes
of clothes. :beerbang:

Reactions: IronMikeAC

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Galley door fix...nope. I hope they never do so Gallagher will keep yelling at me....
Bathroom on port side of the Vagabond heading out of the galley would not close well last year. Would open even if you were inside and thought you'd locked it. My buddy was leaning against it in the hallway and we were bs'ing. Door opens on him, and he yanks it shut. We keep bs'ing. Couple moments later, it opens behind him again, he yanks it shut again. Then it opens again and the little old guy inside yells at him: "Why you keep closing the door on me?!?" Funny as hell. I hope they haven't fixed it just so we can recall that little episode and demonstrate it as well later this month!