Excel and 5 star

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by 1thatlovestofis, Jun 2, 2017.

1. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Wils .... I believe you are mixing your metaphors. Favors abound, both given and accepted. I still bring wine, scotch and jerky. And as you know, pizza for fellow fisher persons and crew on local trips. I bring at least a case of energy drinks for the crew, and I would guess I tip as well or better than most. I readily share tackle and when I have it, advice. I make bait whenever asked. And I have always pushed carts and sorted fish. Always. However, we are discussing after trip procedures in a changing environment. I believe that most folks will want to reap the fruits of using dockside processing. I believe that in the not too distant future this discussion will be moot because nearly everyone will use this service.

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Do not know what the other boats do, but Andy has a canned speech on the last day of travel home. Pretty much lays out what is expected. The manly men push carts to the fish sorters. He never mentioned any other optional roles...

SCHeadhunter and Lake like this.
  3. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    You know that "boatside" unloading of your fish into the slush bins has been around for more than a decade, don't you? 5 Star started doing it long ago, nothing new here.
    All that processing magic happens away from the docks.
    Come back after you have a few long trips under your belt and give us a review.

Soda Pop, $norkle, hilltop and 2 others like this.
  4. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada ......

It is NOW being used by more boats and from more processors. Get up to date and post something relevant. Look at the title of this thread ......Excel and 5 star. Sheesh

5. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Yes, I know and always appreciated those things that you have done on other trips.

for me, sorting fish has always been a "trip procedure"....even though I have used the guys who took MY fish right off the boat. Its just something that you do....or not.

but this disagreement between us wont change the friendship.

6. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Agreed. But I don't think it is really a disagreement. I think we just have different perceptions of what the future holds. I think that with more and more competition for fishermen's dollars, the landings will do more and more to improve the experience for us. I think it won't be long before none of us has to do manual labor at the end of our trips. There may be a transition period, but that is to be expected.

ReelDealAngler likes this.
  7. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Yes, but...

Look, I'm going to be using Five Star anyway. If they can put my fish directly into slush bins at boat side, so much the better. They always take great care with my catch; this is just another step forward to providing their customers with the best possible product. I applaud this change!

If there is a "pushing/sorting" benefit involved, in my eyes it is that there will be a whole lot less fish to push and sort. Plus, I won't have to count my fish at my cone to make sure that a couple of them didn't end up in someone else' pile. Most trips that seems to happen, though I'm sure it has always been an honest mistake. Reading slime-covered fish tags is not an exact science!

Bottom line, though, is that pushing and sorting is (in my view) a part of the compact to which we agree when we sign up for a trip. If there are fish to push, I'll push. The reason? They're our fish. We (as a group) caught them. On any long range trip, we do most things as a team, sharing the rail, sharing our meals (including wines and other tasty beverages), our cigars (for any who want them), the gear in our tackle bags and boxes, as well as our fishing stories (exaggerated as they may be). If you need help carrying your gear, I'll gladly lend a hand. Need sunscreen? I've got some. Lose your sunglasses, or, God-forbid, your hat? I've got an extra one. From the time we line up our gear on the dock until the time we drive away from the landing, we're a team. We help each other...not just out of obligation, though I think people should feel at least some of that. We do it (I do it!) because it is a part of the fun, the joy of doing this.

If you really and truly don't feel that way on a long range trip, I respect that, and I won't criticize you. But I admit, I feel sorry for you. I think you're missing the very best part of long range fishing.

8. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I'm now offering a new service to all the guys who hate the extra work. For a minimal fee, I'll go in your trip and reel in your fish for you too. Just be ready to pose pretty for your rail pic. All kidding aside, I love that these guys are offering the dockside service because the quality of my catch is important to me. it's still no excuse to abandon your trip mates... period.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Cubeye and Olddog8 like this.
  9. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    You are not getting my drift. I think as time goes by the old time honored ceremony of piling up fish by the parking lot will go away. I think that this new service will become universal, and maybe one or two folks won't use it. But I doubt if everyone will hang around to push and pile their fish. By your post, maybe we should cook our own food and clean the bathrooms too? Eh?

10. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Actually, I always have taken the extra second to wipe the counter and sink down after I use it. It's just ingrained in who I am as a person.

11. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?

I'll help push carts and sort fish with you after our ten day, Kevin!

12. Let em eat 74

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    And I hope there is a WHOLE LOT to push and sort!

Olddog8 and RockHopperNCKA like this.
  13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I'll have to see this in action before I decide how to handle my fish. I like to pick one, maybe two tuna for myself and have the rest processed for our Methodist Church Soup Kitchen up here in Bishop. They have, in the past, had an invoice for the processing, same as the local San Diego charity organizations, beneficiaries of fish donated through Fish-Food-Feel Good. I like to give a friend a fish to two as well so it helps with the total picture to see the pile, entire catch.

As I understand it, the decision to use/allow slush bins dockside is up to the individual captains. With this much of a BrooHaHa just among a few guys on a forum, might be they decide against it all together. We'll see.

CV-Wayne and Bill W like this.
  14. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    When absolutely no post can go by unresponded to, it may be a symptom of someone just needing to let it all go. Let me simply point to your tag line that begins with "I've posted enough".

15. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Wiping down a sink ain't what I am referring too .... but then, you already knew that.

16. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Trying now to imagine what it would look like with adding slush bins from Sportsman's Seafood (I mean, why not?) along with those from Five Star and Fisherman's Processing...

Not sure I like what I see.

17. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    No shit! with 32 passengers all going to one of the three. Three scales on deck, ten guys from each processor down there handling the fish. The deckhands trying to sort out who's tag goes where. The passangers standing at the top of the dock just watching the mayhem. I just don't see it but MAYBE Walkerman has a crystal ball.
    Personally I think they shouldn't have the bin on the dock at all, have everything go to the concrete then into the bins.
    The big news with this post is that 5 Star gets to have their bins on the docks again.

fishgirl likes this.
  18. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Sounds like a cluster... back to pushing carts to the landing parking lot.

19. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    And you aren't getting our drift. Maybe you will be proven correct in the FUTURE that the service will change and the handling of the fish at the dock will be handled for all as part of the price of admission. But we live in the PRESENT and as of now that's still not the case. As you can tell by this thread the majority of folks are on the side of helping out.

The funny thing is you started off in this thread stating that using a processor to handle your fish earned you a free pass from chipping in and now you're off on how you see the future going.

You still haven't answered a question asked to you earlier. So where again did you get the idea that paying a third party to process your fish gets you out of the still present day tradition?

20. walkerman

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I got the idea from an earlier post. Seems EVERYONE who used the service agrees with me.

"On one of my recent trips where a majority of people use the fishermans processing option...the remaining people that didn't use this service did all the off loading....the FP people literally sat on the rails while everyone else helped offload....."

So, now I have AGAIN answered that question. Although, I think that last sentence should read "while everyone else offloaded their own fish."