Excel and 5 star

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by 1thatlovestofis, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

there is the concept of catch and release...

2. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Gary I promise there are plenty of us who have been "exposed" to five star 1st class service where every single human comfort is attended to......but with long range fishing I like the team work and friendships that working together creates......I suppose the next thing some will want is have the crew fight the fish as it is sometimes hard work.... how about having the crew tie your knots, set up your rods, bait your hook etc etc etc .....but each person will choose how hard or how much they will participate in the endeavor. Many people think if they throw enough money at a situation they will have a fulfilling experience and I suppose some don't see it that way....guess I'm just too "old school" be 70 next month but I enjoy dragging the fish and pushing the carts and will do it till I physically am not able.... my Dad told me hard physical work is good for the soul,,,,,

However those who don't want to sort fish or push carts....no problem.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    I've had the same thing happen, processor wasn't 5-Star. On the long trip you and I were on, my one wahoo was accidentally crush in the hold, no one told me till I started asking questions. So, it might not be the processors fault. I do seem to get more fish back when I use 5-star.

fishgirl likes this.
  4. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    On the long trips RSW is not an option so C&R is always good. If it's a trophy, freeze it whole and weight it at the landing. The processors will filet it but it won't be nearly as good as the RSW fish and it will take days to thaw. It's not good to gill and gut a fish that goes into the slammer as the brine water gets into the meat. Before commercial processing or RSW, all fish were frozen and we still had tuna meat.
    I like the trade for canned albacore option, I hope they figure something out.

5. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Less fish...maybe much less...fish to push and sort? Chances are, more than 50%. Well, one can hope.

6. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    All-American pressure cooker... 30 quart holds 39 half pints. Waiting to put my new one to good use!

TUNA MINER and apogee like this.
  7. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Now if the safety issue of pushing fish carts were brought up I would be all for that. But for me and I assume many here we go long range for a complete expierence. And teamwork is a big part for me. What floats my boat may not float yours, but I enjoy being part of all aspects of being on the water. Pick up a deck brush, work the kite, push fish on the deck and tip and pay for the expierence. Great fun and better exercise than going to the gym.

8. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    What a bummer. Hopefully someone will step up to trade cans. Wonder why they're stopping?

9. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Gary,

There are more boats each year that convert to RSW only, even for the long 14+ day trips. There is no issue with fish being in the RSW for an extended period of time if the temperature and salinity are appropriate as the osmotic gradient is close to neutral. The only time I have seen an issue was when we got into wahoo at the rocks on day 2 of a 14 day trip. After 12 days in the RSW the wahoo only had a very thin layer of affected flesh next to the skin. Loss, if any, was negligible.

Every tuna that goes into the hold on the boat I fish on is bled, gilled and gutted with no impact on the meat that I can tell of other than improving quality. I did ride on another boat that did not take care of its RSW and let fish bleed into the hold and never freshened the water. It was a brown smelly mess after 8 days. So as far as I can tell it really depends on who is managing the RSW hold and how the fish are handled once they hit the deck.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    fishgirl, Cubeye and Bill W like this.
  10. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Agree nearly completely. I'd be happy to release all non-cow tuna prior to RSW opening up. But consider that trading for cans is primarily for the larger models that are caught on the longer trips. Then consider the fact that the boats have an interest in showing their catch, as they are caught, and then again for jackpots at the end of the trip. In reality, the only tuna that most guys on those trips want to process are RSW fish. If you catch a large fish before RSW opens up, what will you do with a 250lb popsicle back in SD. I can hear a quip coming Fishy, but in all seriousness it does represent a problem.

11. The Right Kind

The Right Kind Slave

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Me too, pick up the deck hose and wash the blood away so no one slips while the deck hands are busy helping other passengers or help gaffing when their screaming for a second or third gaff when we're in a wide open bite. Good stuff.
    I have my own boat and enjoy all the shit that comes with the job, well maybe not cleaning the heads.:)
    Pushing carts and sorting fish, just something we've always done. Not a big deal.

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Bill, Soda, did Five Star meet the Rooster after June Heat?

13. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    They were there... Sportsmens seafood was 10 cents cheaper and had flake ice for packing the fillets. Also they packed the belly strips too...

14. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Is there typically a person at the landing that accepts fish for donations? I have never done it myself, but was thinking about it for my next trip.

15. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I know that 5-Star will take care of donations and likely all of the other processors will take fish to process for donation at no cost to the angler. No shortage of folks to donate fish to. Even the front office staff for your charter appreciate a few fish as they don't always get a chance to bag their own.

http://fivestarfishprocessingservices.com/index.php?id=126

16. 1thatlovestofis

1thatlovestofis Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Still waiting for it
    Saw a post from 5 star today and they were unloading the Royal Polaris and Red Rooster using the dock side carts. Nice to see them getting loads from all the boats.

17. fishgirl

fishgirl Newbie

Name:
    Sarah
    Boat:
    All Long Range Sportboats out of SD!!!!
    We will take that into consideration. I don't mind unloading and sorting the fish for you guys at the top of the dock. Maybe come talk to me and if Im not swamped I and the 5 Star crew can help, even if you are not using 5 Stars services.

Orca, starrfish, wils and 5 others like this.
  18. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Now that the Rooster is gill and gut fish that go to RSW you have to be careful how the fish is handled on the offload. On the June Heat the crew off loaded at the boat gate and used a gas powered mule to push the cart up the steep ramp. Excellent quality fish with care taken not to bruise the meat.

19. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    I would certainly hope that anglers who use 5 Star and their fish goes directly into slush bins, don't think that excludes them from cart pushing and fish sorting the fish going home with anglers or those using other processors!
    Fish Gods and Karma are watching all the time guys, no cell phones during pushing/sorting, and it is a full participation activity!

20. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a

Of course it does. That is one of the big reasons for using them. JMHO