Excel 8 day July 16th Anyone else on this trip?

Riccochet

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
Traveling solo from Phoenix for this trip. My longest trip prior to this was an Intrepid 5 day last August. It was then I realized after you factor in all of the travel time I wanted more time fishing. 8 days in July seemed like a good fit for my schedule and budget.
I am still fairly new to this game but received excellent advice from this board and from fellow fisherman on last years trip that helped me out greatly. Although most thought that trip was a bust, I had a fair share of YT, WSB, Dorado, a few small YF, and had a blast doing so. Looking forward to this years trip! Anyone else going? Anyone from the Phoenix area?

Richard

Robertjacobs

Jun 21, 2013
The Sea Ranch, Ca
Name
Bubba
Boat
EXCEL
Traveling solo from Phoenix for this trip. My longest trip prior to this was an Intrepid 5 day last August. It was then I realized after you factor in all of the travel time I wanted more time fishing. 8 days in July seemed like a good fit for my schedule and budget.
I am still fairly new to this game but received excellent advice from this board and from fellow fisherman on last years trip that helped me out greatly. Although most thought that trip was a bust, I had a fair share of YT, WSB, Dorado, a few small YF, and had a blast doing so. Looking forward to this years trip! Anyone else going? Anyone from the Phoenix area?

Richard
I believe this is the 8 day Team Hoo trip. I have been on this trip for the last 8 years and about half of the passengers are regulars. You will enjoy your experience with this group since the regulars are welcoming and helpful. We always fill the RSW holds with quality fish. Mike or Justin never fail to put us on fish.

RJ

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
Thanks for the response guys! Really excited about this trip. I was a little apprehensive flying solo last year when my buddy cancelled late due to a medical episode but the hospitality displayed by the crew and other fisherman was exceptional. I guess I am now hooked on long range.

Last years trip I reelized I should have added a set up from the boat as I wasted time re-tying 2 rigs when a jumbo YT broke me off in the rocks and another was grabbed by a sea lion who then got hooked and almost spooled me. Took me to long to jump back into the bite!

I have some gear of my own but also fortunate to borrow some as well and will supplement with boat gear for anything I do not have. Here is my quiver thus far. Feel free to comment on anything i should add or leave home, or pair differently. All reels are in perfect condition.

Cedros 15s Star Drag with Cedros Jig rod M,H (50#-100#) 65# Braid/50#top

Makaira 10SEA with Calstar GFGR875H (30#-60#) 65# Braid/40#top

Makaira 10SEA (loaner from Excel)65# Braid/50#top??

Makaira 15SEA with 6' ugly stick tiger (30#-80#) 65# Braid/60#top

Makaira 16SEA with 5'6" tuna kicker (50#-130#) 80# Braid/80#top

Daiwa Sealine 300h with Calstar GFGR800H (30#-60#) 40# Braid/40#top

Daiwa Sealine 300h with 7' ugly stick (30#-60#) 65# Braid/50#top

Shimano TLD 25 with 5'6" pinnacle custom (60#-100#) 80# Braid/80#top (leave home?)

Okuma Titus 50w 2 speed 80# Braid/100#top (leave home?)

here is what I have or plan to adsd for lures/jigs:

I have 3-4 wire rigged wahoo bombs

Plan to reload on 3-4 bait wrap jigs (got hit every drop!)

3-4 Colt sniper 100g jigs (Got a fat WSB on one of these!)

Riccochet

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
The two you questioned, leave home.
Agreed.

I remember you from last year's post and I think you approach it with a very good attitude. I think you'll have a great time. To me 8 days is way better than 5. That's usually a very good trip. You'll probably end up signing on for next year's trip when you get back to the dock.

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
The two you questioned, leave home.
X2

Pick up some Raider jigs (or Hopkins, bright 6X, catchy tackle, etc.), more than you think.

Some Ti wire for bait fishing Hoo (40lb is more than good, you could even drop down for something stealthier)

Plenty of 6X & 6xJr. (2 ea of blue/white, dorado, scrambled egg)

I didn't see a 30# rig. 30Lb. gets bit, don't forget.

Enjoy

Reactions: Olddog8

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
You will need to use one of the Mak 10 with 30# and something like a 700M rod.
I also wouldn't go out there w/o a 25# outfit and something like an 8' 270-8H. It's July and if it's like it has been the past few years, the fish will be in the 30# class. AND--what if----there are the Al%^&bC fucking)@Core. Might happen. You're plenty loaded for the big stuff and when you go to bed tonight you can dream about them. But you want advice and I say be realistic and prepare for the smaller 25-40# ones.

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
Great advice thanks. I have no problem tugging on 25#-40# fish all day. I'll keep the Mak's 15 & 16's for any larger models that might show up and re-tool the rest for 25#, 30#, and 40#. I found the youtube from last years trip and I am excited about the variety of fish that may be available to us. Going to recheck what gear is availabe to me and probably post more questions! Thanks for the help. Love this forum!

Richard

So_cal_bumper

Apr 7, 2015
Name
Sean maguire
Boat
Lucky Irish
I will also be on this trip it will be my first trip longer then a 3 day and I can't wait to go fishing with everyone that will be there so with that being said let go fishing

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
You guys have fun on the BIG X ..... 8 days is too short of a trip for me... LOL ....... I am on a 15 day on the Rooster.....June Heat ( Blast off date May 30 ) Did a 16 on the Excel back in Feb. .... we nail 200 Wahoo in a day and lots of Cows....
Watch out his crap gets you addicted ...... Richard .... you will be in good hand.....

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I will also be on this trip it will be my first trip longer then a 3 day and I can't wait to go fishing with everyone that will be there so with that being said let go fishing
Look forward to fishing with you as well!

You guys have fun on the BIG X ..... 8 days is too short of a trip for me... LOL ....... I am on a 15 day on the Rooster.....June Heat ( Blast off date May 30 ) Did a 16 on the Excel back in Feb. .... we nail 200 Wahoo in a day and lots of Cows....
Watch out his crap gets you addicted ...... Richard .... you will be in good hand.....
I can see what you mean about becoming addicted. My 8 day is still 2 months away and I'm already thinking about a fall trip.
Good luck on your 15 day Rooster trip!

Richard

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Look forward to fishing with you as well!

I can see what you mean about becoming addicted. My 8 day is still 2 months away and I'm already thinking about a fall trip.
Good luck on your 15 day Rooster trip!

Richard
Thanks Richard... good luck to you also on your Excel adventure ... just remember to ask the crew for help... or any questions you might have.... they don't know if you need help unless you ask for help.....

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
Thanks David, great advice. I am a good fishermann with decent instinct and touch but new to longe range with only a couple of long range trips under my belt. I'm the type that won't miss a minute putting my time in at the rail or making bait and will learn as much as I can from the crew. At the same time, it's my vacation ,and if they're biting, great, if not, it's fishing and I'm on vacation!
I somehow got the "fever" and will be around for a while. Hope to fish with you someday!

So_cal_bumper

Apr 7, 2015
Name
Sean maguire
Boat
Lucky Irish
Does any one have a list of gear we will need on this trip so I can start shopping around and stocking up on thing we will need

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
I am the last one booked on this trip. This will be my first Long Range trip and I am excited to say the least. I have to order my blanks to finish out my arsenal for this trip. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Reactions: XL1

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I am the last one booked on this trip. This will be my first Long Range trip and I am excited to say the least. I have to order my blanks to finish out my arsenal for this trip. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Rick you picked a great boat. Have a blast on the BIG X ... Great crew.... great food.... and a fun time out on the water. My avatar picture was taken by a crew member on the Excel on a 15 day trip I was on.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
Should be a great trip Rick! Looking forward to meeting and fishing with you as well!

Richard

Reactions: XL1 and clubhunter

So_cal_bumper

Apr 7, 2015
Name
Sean maguire
Boat
Lucky Irish
So does anyone know how many days and minutes till we go fishing I'm on count down I need a vacation and to get out of North Dakota and get a way from this oil field for awhile

clubhunter

Nov 23, 2008
Montgomery, Texas
Name
Rick Stevens
Boat
na
Rick you picked a great boat. Have a blast on the BIG X ... Great crew.... great food.... and a fun time out on the water. My avatar picture was taken by a crew member on the Excel on a 15 day trip I was on.
David, I am very excited about the trip and the opportunity to learn from my fellow anglers and crew. Maybe next year I can graduate up to the 15day.

Gamefighter

I just need one...more!
Sep 12, 2011
Boulder, CO
Name
Valerie
Boat
any that I'm welcome on!
I'll be on the Team Hoo trip!! In addition to shining and spinning my reals every single day (that are all laid out on the living room floor, of course), I'm preparing a much more accessible play list on my iPhone than last year (I'm sincerely hoping for the beautiful speaker set up). Some folks didn't like my Judas Priest, Metallica, and Guns n' Roses, so this year I have some Frank Sinatra, Marty Robbins, and some 50s Rock n' Roll lined up (in addition to, not in replacement of, the metal...of course). Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Riccochet

Jun 10, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Richard
Boat
N/A
I'll be on the Team Hoo trip!! In addition to shining and spinning my reals every single day (that are all laid out on the living room floor, of course), I'm preparing a much more accessible play list on my iPhone than last year (I'm sincerely hoping for the beautiful speaker set up). Some folks didn't like my Judas Priest, Metallica, and Guns n' Roses, so this year I have some Frank Sinatra, Marty Robbins, and some 50s Rock n' Roll lined up (in addition to, not in replacement of, the metal...of course). Can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Totally know the feeling! My gear is all assembled in the spare room ready for the trip. And I, as you, are working on the playlist!
Looking forward to meeting and fishing with you!

Richard

Countdown Clock:https://www.onlinecountdowns.com/countdown-clocks/excel-8-day-countdown-clock
https://www.onlinecountdowns.com/countdown-clocks/excel-8-day-countdown-clock