floydlpackard

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 24, 2012
Kennewick, WA USA
Name
Floyd
Boat
none
I am on the Excel 10 day currently. Fished the rocks first two days. Good wahoo fishing. Everybody got at least one. Some got up to three. 50-25lb fish. Best troll lures were the DTX 200 and 220 in pink or purple. Best bombs colors changed starting with green then to pure silver then Halloween. Bait also did well. Tried the Alijos bank for several brute yellows, but the sharks got on us and drove us back to the rocks. Fishing slowed at the rocks so went to uncle Sams. Ridge tuna and yellows. Best early morning 6am and just before dark.

I took my slow pitch and had a great time on the yellows. When people look at the pole and gear for the first time they just shake their heads. The deckhands eventually warmed up to the outfit after they saw what it could do.

The next day we fished the 23 but the water was green there and worse at the Thetis. Caught yellows and tuna but slower and no wahoo.

Rough ride uphill to fish San Pablo. My Mark Mayo tackle box came off the shelf and got beat up. Bummer I should have tied that down super tight. I will need to do some repairs when I get home.

San Pablo was infested with barries. Moved to just south of Punta Eugenia. We were checked by Mexican officials and they told us we were good to fish but just a little north is the no fish boundary. The yellows on the surface iron was epic. Medium fish DW1 mint was instant. A panga with fisherman came along side and started yelling at us. Capt made the choice to move on to keep the peace. We left great fishing and are now making a day long move up toward Canoas or Colenet. The Mexican officials were still there just off the stern and we had not moved. But it is no fun fishing with angry locals. I get it and am fine with moving on.

Our plans are to fish the coast tomorrow and then fish bluefin Monday and Tuesday.

One thing I would mention. The fisherman on the trip spent the time as we rolled down to the rocks tuning the DTXs to troll true at the normal cruising speed of the Excel. All the anglers brought their dtxs and had them tuned. If the lure tracked to the right they would slightly bend the back eye to the right. If they stayed in the water at normal cruise speed they would stay in the water at troll speed. We only had one small tangle on a lure that did not make the tune session. Fyi

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Thank you!

Excellent update - hope the remainder of the trip goes well and the bluefin are in the right mood.

Roadrunner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
I got to wait for next month to get into wahoo territory. Glad you all got some.

"I took my slow pitch and had a great time on the yellows. When people look at the pole and gear for the first time they just shake their heads. The deckhands eventually warmed up to the outfit after they saw what it could do."

your quote above

I was just was on a 2 dayer and used a slow pitch setup a friend let me use. Got plenty of yellows( smaller paddy models) and a 30 lb bluefin. Got many similar comments about "that bass rod, etc" as the rods are so small, thin, and bend into a U - especially after ogin around the boat a few times. Others do not understand them ---yet. I am sold on this technique for smaller fish.

Curious as to what reel you were using?

I had a 250 gram pole( I think w/- med heavy slow pitch jig 3+ inches long) and a Fathom ll 15 star drag with 30 lb braid and 30 mono.