Excel 10 Day November 2 - 12

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by teamr2, Sep 28, 2011.

1. teamr2

teamr2 Newbie

Name:
    james thomas
    Boat:
    Various
    Long time lurker, brand new BD member. Heading out on my first San Diego long range trip ever on Nov.2 aboard the Excel for 10 days. Anybody one here on the same trip? My work has allowed me to travel and fish a bunch of places but for some reason this trip has got me so excited I can barely sleep. With the water temps this year being what they are, what do you guys think we might expect? I have a stand up harness that works great on center consoles but that rail looks mighty tempting. Do you think I really need to bring one? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. I fish FL and AK quite a bit so if anyone needs any info...just ask. Thanks, James

2. rodblder

rodblder I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none at this time
    That's the Brad Merritt trip, he's a great chartermaster, you'll like him. I've fished his summer 6 day Excel trip for years. I'll be bringing a new fish dragger down to the boat when you get in from the trip for another buddy on the trip named Roy, Big Roy, you'll get to know him, another nice guy who will help if you have questions. Great boat and great crew, you should have a great time. good luck

3. mooose29

mooose29 Sin Bin

Name:
    Josh R
    Boat:
    Sin Bin
    James

I have been on the trip the last few years and will be on this years trip as well. It is a great group of people and Brad and Jeanie the charter masters do an outstanding job. I am hopping for a great year and hopefully the big boys will make an appearance for us. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I am super excited.

Josh

4. Sactotuna

Sactotuna Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    1-Welcome!
    2-Likely you'll spend a little time at the lower banks prospecting for cows. If it doesn't look good quickly back up for classic fall mixed bag fishing.
    3-Yes, bring your harness but add the rail. No reason you can't use both, sometimes simultaneously.
    4-Take lots of photos!

5. Mark Scott

Mark Scott Newbie

Name:
    Mark Scott
    Boat:
    28'' Parker Scottfree
    Welcome James, been doing that same trip for about 12 years W/ the Merritts great people most everybody is great and helpful & the crew is the best!!! this will be my second year in a row I've had to miss back & neck problems. but anyway you will have the time of your life . Good Luck! Mark

6. Captn John

Captn John Clipperton

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    25, Parker, Scott Free
    I'll be on the same trip. This trip was originally hailed as the Brad Merritt/John Lesiczka (me) LA PD Open. The trip always been a success. In fact back in 2004 (I think or maybe it was 2005) we broke the long standing record for 200+ pounders with 44 of those bad boys. Pat Cavanaugh was the Captn then. That record was eventually broken, I think by the RP. I hope you are not thin skinned because we do a lot of kidding around. PM me if you want any other information.

7. Ready4TheYellow

Ready4TheYellow The Fishing Guru

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    The Fishing SHO
    I'll be out the same dates on the Q. Last year we killed it with many fish over the 200# mark all the way to 345#. Hopefully it will be a repeat.

8. teamr2

teamr2 Newbie

Name:
    james thomas
    Boat:
    Various
    Now I'm even more jazzed up... Looking forward to meeting some of you people. I'll be the strikingly good looking guy with a shaved head.... I'll probably bring my harness but feel I could be more mobile just using the rail. Will have a Contour HD camera with me and as long as their internet works, I'll broadcast the shenanigans here on the BD daily / nightly.

9. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    I predict cows.

10. Captn John

Captn John Clipperton

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    25, Parker, Scott Free
    You won't be the only one on the trip who is hair (follicly) challenged. Wish my bro-in-law Mark could make it but as he said in his message too many back and neck problems this year. Roy if you are reading this I hope you cleaned out the Big Dog cup. Don't know how that sardine ended up in there.

11. Island Joe

Island Joe Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    18. Glaspar
    Well I guess I have to chime in too. I've been fishing on Brad's charters since 94. It's a great group of guys and lately every year it's getting better. As for a harness I don't leave home without it, but Ron M nailed jackpot last year without one.

Mark Scott you'll be missed, but it gives me an excuse to visit. Josh look forward to fishing with you and Ron again. As for Big Roy dragging fish naa he's pushin the cart.

See you at the dock

Chris Voge

12. RonD

RonD Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    the one that I am riding
    Sigh... I am pretty much resigned to the fact that all my spare time (and some of my not so spare time) will be dedicated to either getting ready for the trip or dreaming about it. Who is going to enter the "species" contest this year? Josh is thinking about a score board to keep track and of course we have to go through the annual rules change committee to stack the odds in my favor :)

This is a great group of people and the Merritt clan is super nice – almost too good because this trip is always full!

Ron

13. mooose29

mooose29 Sin Bin

Name:
    Josh R
    Boat:
    Sin Bin
    Man you guys are getting me even more fired up then I already am. Can't believe we are only a month away. Did you guys see the Spirit caught a 175 on the lower banks this last week?

14. Island Joe

Island Joe Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    18. Glaspar
    Josh and Ron
    I'm in on the species this year.
    Chris Voge

15. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    If you are in kite jail a harness is nice to have, just do not put the lever all the way to strike until you can walk to the rail on a bite.

16. mooose29

mooose29 Sin Bin

Name:
    Josh R
    Boat:
    Sin Bin
    You got it Chris. It will be a blast.

17. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I'll be out on the Qualifier the same time. Last year, the same time cows were being caught...200's and a couple 300's pounders.......so yes take your harness.

18. Ready4TheYellow

Ready4TheYellow The Fishing Guru

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    The Fishing SHO
    Hi Donna, Glad you was able to go this year. Is the other half coming?

19. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    nope, you are stuck with me again............more fish and goodies for me......:hali_olutta: