MannyOjai

Almost A Member
May 28, 2019
Oakview
Name
Manny Molina
Boat
SandWish
Went out Thursday night June The 24 for the Western outdoor news overnight tunafish tournament. First time on the boat but I’ve had multiple trips with the captain Chuck Taft. I have two things to say about Captain Chuck. First he is a surly old salt who is not politically correct. Second I love that and he fishes HARD and puts you on fish . The rest is talent and luck but you can’t say that Chuck Taft doesn’t put you on fish and works his ass off all freaking day to make it happen . The boat is a well laid out 85 foot boat with a spacious galley and comfortable bunks and six or seven state rooms . They aren’t big but plenty effective and comfortable. Bow of the boat has plenty a room for casting , the Stern is spacious with a really solid bait tank set up with plenty of access from all sides . The crew was outstanding, Nick , Jake and I believe Gary and Matty serviced all customers equally well from the few newbies that were on the boat to the old salts like myself who have been out many times . Ben the cook was friendly and made me a excellent grilled cheese sandwich even though it wasn’t on the menu Nick was amazing, so knowledgeable and helped everyone. The kind of guy you could literally ask any question and he will happily answer . Young Jake was energetic and flat out cool as well as helping out all customers. Captain Chuck: The man knows how to fish and he’s not shy about telling customers what they should and shouldn’t be doing At one I was not paying attention and as I irresponsibly casted over somebody’s line , he read me the riot act and he was right . I respect that. Fortunately nothing happened in that as I quickly righted my wrong . But he was in my ear and I respect the captain who is willing to help the customers to pull their heads out of their ass if that’s what needs to happen. We fished the flat falls all night long , we metered schools of fish but we never had any strikes . Fished Shimano flat fall in 250 g as well as a knife jig in 200 grams from 10:45 PM till 3 AM with no luck . Back up at 4:30 am to try for another hour with no luck . My heavy set up is a Mak 16 with 500 yards of 100 pound spectra and a 300 lb leader for both jigs that I used . As I said no one got bit on the night bIte. The captain put us on a ton of fish but the bite really was from about 7 AM to about 9:30 AM and then despite being on tons of fish seeing them all over the surface we only had a total of 13 fish and I would say 10 of those came before 9:30 AM . As I said it takes a little school and a lot of luck but I got my two bluefin by about 8:30 AM The first was a little Dink 22 pounder Who was to the boat in just a few minutes . The second was a 50 pounder who took about 10 minutes and put up a much better fight . Both times the captain said “there are big heavy fish down to 200 and 300 feet and some 30 to 50 pounders on the surface if you could cast a fly line on 40 pound” . I had no luck with the big boys and no one else was either , so I lobbed a sardine out on 40 pounds on both of my fish and Capt Chuck was spot on with his advice. Overall I really liked the boat, the crew was outstanding, and Captain Chuck it’s not for the light hearted but I would go on his boat any day of the week .

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Excellant first hand report.... on the "mysterious" WON tournament. Capt Chuck.... worth his weight in gold. As an old salt.... I'm so sick and tired of people DEMANDING you be "politically correct". On that boat..... he is the judge.... jury.... and he will let you hang yourself... with anymore STUPID acts....lol.

I'm with you brother.... and thank you for your complete honesty....admitting that ....some of us ..... including the old salts need to be reminded.... when we have a "senior" moment... or are acting like a "dumb ass"!!

......(laughing)....I guess it reminds me of the day...70's and 80's.... when most every skipper would read you the riot act.... rather than lose another fish to stupidity. My dad was the same way....lol. So it kind of makes me nostalgic... feeling right at home on the rail....lol.

Nice wrote up... great honesty! Be safe.

Reactions: Tom123
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Great report from a great boat.

And:
    Woodfish, you sound like an ass, equating being old to being senile.

W
    woodfish330
    If admitting momentary indiscretions in life makes me an "ass". Thank you. Maybe "humble" is not in your nature.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Thank you for the report. I have fished with many top shelf captains and crew members who never seemed to need to 'get in my ear ' or 'read me the riot act' when I did something incorrectly. A simple explanation has always yielded the desired result. To me it doesn't make any difference if your title is Captain or deck boss or chef, you are the hired help and like it or not you will treat me with respect, the same respect I show you. I don't tolerate getting hollered at by the hired help, period.
    If the OP tolerates that behavior, so be it. That's his choice. Just not for me, no way, not ever.
    Spend your money as you wish. Suit yourself.

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I rode the Excalibur last season on a 2.75 day and let's just say your experience and perception was much different than mine from top to bottom. And apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Look at their bookings and their reports.

Upvote 0

MannyOjai

Almost A Member
    May 28, 2019
    Oakview
    Name
    Manny Molina
    Boat
    SandWish
    Excellant first hand report.... on the "mysterious" WON tournament. Capt Chuck.... worth his weight in gold. As an old salt.... I'm so sick and tired of people DEMANDING you be "politically correct". On that boat..... he is the judge.... jury.... and he will let you hang yourself... with anymore STUPID acts....lol.

I'm with you brother.... and thank you for your complete honesty....admitting that ....some of us ..... including the old salts need to be reminded.... when we have a "senior" moment... or are acting like a "dumb ass"!!

......(laughing)....I guess it reminds me of the day...70's and 80's.... when most every skipper would read you the riot act.... rather than lose another fish to stupidity. My dad was the same way....lol. So it kind of makes me nostalgic... feeling right at home on the rail....lol.

Nice wrote up... great honesty! Be safe.
    Deckhand yells boil ... and I had my jig stick in my hand, did not see the guy who had hooked up bent down in the corner. Needless to say it was my bad. And yes Capt gave it to me good. I took it and slid over the guys line quick with no harm. Glad I didn’t screw his fish up. Some really nice young guys on the boat who asked questions and wanted to learn , it was nice to see and I helped them out. I remember being that guy in the early nineties, now I’m the old man. A fun trip and the boat is a good deal with talented Capt and crew. I don’t give two cents about PC.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

MannyOjai

Almost A Member
    May 28, 2019
    Oakview
    Name
    Manny Molina
    Boat
    SandWish
    Thank you for the report. I have fished with many top shelf captains and crew members who never seemed to need to 'get in my ear ' or 'read me the riot act' when I did something incorrectly. A simple explanation has always yielded the desired result. To me it doesn't make any difference if your title is Captain or deck boss or chef, you are the hired help and like it or not you will treat me with respect, the same respect I show you. I don't tolerate getting hollered at by the hired help, period.
    If the OP tolerates that behavior, so be it. That's his choice. Just not for me, no way, not ever.
    Entitled to your own opinion. I’m entitled to mine. I could have caused that guy to lose his fish , that’s not ok. I’m not taking shit from any person if I don’t deserve it . I was in the wrong, so I am fine with the correction. But you have the right to your opinion . In my view the problem with society is no one is told when they’re doing anything wrong., we can’t hurt some ones feelings . everyone wins a trophy , everyone is right ... and that’s just bullshit

Upvote 0

MannyOjai

Almost A Member
    May 28, 2019
    Oakview
    Name
    Manny Molina
    Boat
    SandWish
    I rode the Excalibur last season on a 2.75 day and let's just say your experience and perception was much different than mine from top to bottom. And apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way. Look at their bookings and their reports.
    Bummer to hear your trip wasn’t the same . I can on,y go off of my experience and it was quality for sure. If I have a bad crew or trip I don’t return either. Cheers

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    . And yes Capt gave it to me good. .
    😂😂🤦‍♂
    I fished with chuck on the sea adventure when he used to have his little Lakers tv in the wheel house watching passengers through a cctv camera. He is definitely old and salty, imagine taking your kids or chick on that boat and they make a mistake. No thanks.

Upvote 0

MannyOjai

Almost A Member
    May 28, 2019
    Oakview
    Name
    Manny Molina
    Boat
    SandWish
    😂😂🤦‍♂
    I fished with chuck on the sea adventure when he used to have his little Lakers tv in the wheel house watching passengers through a cctv camera. He is definitely old and salty, imagine taking your kids or chick on that boat and they make a mistake. No thanks.
    yeah i would not want that for sure but then again i dont bring my wife of 30 years or kids out when im fishing tuna the kids when they were little barely lasted 5 hours on the half day boat my trip was awesome

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot

I'm right there with you on being yelled at. Don't like it from anybody - hired help has nothing to do with it. I may tolerate a little of it when I have really f'd up but don't push your luck.

That said the captain is not the hired help - he is the ruler when you are on his boat.

Upvote 0