TunaChaser20

Captain
Jan 13, 2013
Santee ca
Name
Albert P
Boat
Lil Amber
Hay guys .. looking for some help. I just got the new ebo3s with halo and I wanted to interface with yamaha 150. So I think I need the NMEA2000 but what other cables am I going to need to be able to look at my gauges on the fish finder? Thanks for your help.

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish

This is the direct from your motor to an existing N2K system solution. No command link stuff needed.

Maybe it will do for you? Maybe it won't.
    this is not really the correct way of doing this, if you plug this into your hub and N2k backbone you will back feed power into your gauges which in not recommended. If there is a way to go from the motor then possible

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
    Jun 5, 2012
    La Mesa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Sea Pro 170DC
    this is not really the correct way of doing this, if you plug this into your hub and N2k backbone you will back feed power into your gauges which in not recommended. If there is a way to go from the motor then possible

Well I don't have any gauges and the dealer installed the referenced cable with the new motor. So for me it seems to be doing the job. The dealer said it was no problem to use that cable.

I have a HDS Live on the dash and it's setup with several overlays of engine info on the various screens. All of that info coming through that cable. No command link stuff installed.

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Well I don't have any gauges and the dealer installed the referenced cable with the new motor. So for me it seems to be doing the job. The dealer said it was no problem to use that cable.

I have a HDS Live on the dash and it's setup with several overlays of engine info on the various screens. All of that info coming through that cable. No command link stuff installed.
    Yeah if you don't have gauges to back feed power to then I would imagine your fine plugging into the hub from N2K

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    If you have a Yamaha command link hub on your console (as shown below) and there is an open device port, its the best way to connect to your NMEA 2000 backbone.

1619237569166.png

All you need is a Yamaha or Oceanic Systems cable. (I make my own cable because I know what connectors Yamaha use and have spare power cables for NMEA2000 kits).

Oceanic Systems 3862 cable:

1619237796943.png

Yamaha 3862-0.2 cable:
    1619237872473.png

You will also need a power isolator similar to the one shown below. If you want to save money, just cut the red and black wires on the cable. It would effectively become isolated. Only the data connection pins would be connected from the NMEA2000 to your command link hub.

The reason you need the power isolation is most people connect power for the NMEA2000 backbone directly to the main switch and bypassing the ignition key switch. You want to prevent power from going from the NMEA 2000 backbone back into the command link hub. The command link hub power connection should be from your ignition switch for the "ON" position. If you don't do this, when your NMEA 2000 backbone powers on, it also powers up your Yamaha motor electronics. You will hear the intake valves buzz, and if you have command link gauges, they would turn on even with the power switch off.
    1619237936298.png

Wiring diagram:

Its technically not unpowered on the green side. The power will only show up on that section of the backbone when the command link hub is powered up. The power isolator just keeps the two different sections of the backbone powered separately.

1619238630906.png

Last edited:

TunaChaser20

Captain
    Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    Lil Amber
    If you have a Yamaha command link hub on your console (as shown below) and there is an open device port, its the best way to connect to your NMEA 2000 backbone.

View attachment 1274164

All you need is a Yamaha or Oceanic Systems cable. (I make my own cable because I know what connectors Yamaha use and have spare power cables for NMEA2000 kits).

View attachment 1274165

Yamaha 3862-0.2 cable:
    View attachment 1274166

You will also need a power isolator similar to the one shown below. If you want to save money, just cut the red and black wires on the cable. It would effectively become isolated. Only the data connection pins would be connected from the NMEA2000 to your command link hub.

The reason you need the power isolation is most people connect power for the NMEA2000 backbone directly to the main switch and bypassing the ignition key switch. You want to prevent power from going from the NMEA 2000 backbone back into the command link hub. The command link hub power connection should be from your ignition switch for the "ON" position. If you don't do this, when your NMEA 2000 backbone powers on, it also powers up your Yamaha motor electronics. You will hear the intake valves buzz, and if you have command link gauges, they would turn on even with the power switch off.
    View attachment 1274167

Wiring diagram:

Its technically not unpowered on the green side. The power will only show up on that section of the backbone when the command link hub is powered up. The power isolator just keeps the two different sections of the backbone powered separately.

View attachment 1274175

View attachment 1274164

View attachment 1274165

Yamaha 3862-0.2 cable:
    View attachment 1274166

View attachment 1274167

Wiring diagram:

View attachment 1274175

Ok so these are my gauges that are on my boat... I don’t have the Yamaha command link hub.so I need the yellow isolation tee and I can use the Lowrance cable and the nmea2000 backbone.?

B00AE4C8-3AA2-48B9-A8E5-0B48D3A75A87.jpeg

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Ok so these are my gauges that are on my boat... I don’t have the Yamaha command link hub.so I need the yellow isolation tee and I can use the Lowrance cable and the nmea2000 backbone.?

View attachment 1274723
    Just to make sure you have the right connectors, what year is your engine?

You have the Yamaha analog gauges so the setup I suggested doesn't work for you. You need the direct cable that split172 mentioned on his post (SKU: 000-0120-37). You need to run that wire all the way to your engine from your console. Its only 15 feet long so you may need a NMEA2000 extension cable. I suggest you try to run the cable from the engine back to your console. The NMEA2000 connector is smaller and easier to run through crowded wire bundles. Before you run any wires, tape up the connector with electrical tape so its smoother and prevents debris from getting inside connector.

You still need the power isolator. You can alternatively connect it this way, but it takes up more space between the other cables. Note, the middle connector on the power isolator is not used and plugged up. On the Ancor power isolator shown below, the mold doesn't include the connector.

Its probably going to cost close to $160 for the entire system. If you know what you are doing and have some electronics background, you can just buy a 6m or 10m extension cable and crimp on the Yamaha connector yourself for $32 for the cable and $7 for the connectors (shipping not included). Its actually very easy. You just crimp three pins. You don't even need the power isolator since you are not wiring up the power. The hard part is to know the connector number and the pinouts. I have both information from my research. I don't suggest doing this unless you know what you are doing.

1619425292264.png

1619425732591.png

Last edited:

TunaChaser20

Captain
    Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    Lil Amber
    My engine is a Yamaha 150 2007. I did get the lowrance cable that connects directly to engine,the nmea2000 backbone, the power isolator and i also got the Navico fuel data manager. I really appreciate the info.thanks again shadow X

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    My engine is a Yamaha 150 2007. I did get the lowrance cable that connects directly to engine,the nmea2000 backbone, the power isolator and i also got the Navico fuel data manager. I really appreciate the info.thanks again shadow X

Before you install the Navico Fuel Data manager, find out if your fish finder already has that capability. I had to look up to find out what the fuel data manager actually does. It sounds like it tracks fuel data. I know my HDS12 Gen3 already has that capability built in. The Simrad EVO series of fish finder also has that too. You may not need it, so make sure you save the box and receipt.

The only time the fish finder won't be able to store the data is if the fish finder is off. If you leave the fish finder off and run the engine with it off, then it would make sense to have this fuel manager. Basically it just takes the NMEA2000 fuel flow information and records it. The fish finder does the same thing when its on. You can reset the fuel quantity used by the day or the season on the fuel flow manager on the fish finder.

Since you have an older Yamaha engine, you should consider getting a YDS diagnostic cable. It comes in handy. The cable directly plugs into the 3 pin connector in the engine and you can diagnose error codes or check engine hours by the RPM. Engines after 2012 used a different system that connects to the NMEA2000 backbone but the software is only available to dealers.

Last edited: