Every Dog Has its Day - An Island Tale

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Nov 12, 2016.

1. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Hammers and nails. Poor Jaime got a full keg of nails

2. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    lol they didn't do to well. take a look at part 6 . I went into detail about it

3. carloscafe

carloscafe Member

Name:
    Darrin
    Boat:
    N/A
    Dang. I don't even know Jamie and feel bad for him. We all have been there and feel his pain.

Blackfish and larry dickson like this.
  4. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Andre, are there birds at Guadalupe like at Clarion?

5. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Part 7 -The Dog gets some Company

Day 6

Today would be a mind test.

Last day at The Lupe.

I am up at 4:30 giving it the dropper loop try at the Night spot. It is slow this morning.

Captain Roy lays out the plan of action as hitting Monster Rock quickly and then making our way towards the Backside of the Island to try for Yellowtail before starting the 180 mile check out trip to Ensenada late in the day.

That is pretty cool. Fresh Digs. We basically have only seen a few square miles of the island the first 4 days here. There was never a need to go exploring with the fishing so steady.

Soon we are off to Monster Rock where its pretty dead. Roy makes a move to the infamous Tuna Alley.

Tuna Alley is actually very close to Monster Rock. It’s a deep canyon that runs from some high points in between Monster rock and few other small Islands.

Dave at Tuna Alley
    DSCN0195.JPG

This is the area where the big Bluefin were active in the 70’s and 80’s with tales of giants hooked and lost.

It is also the area where Al Schneppershoff was killed by a great white shark while spearfishing in the 80’s.

Now I know some like spearfishing. This Island could be one of the top two dangerous places to spearfish in the world. The other is probably The infamous Seal Island off Cape Town S.A. with its infamous Air Jaws squadron .
    Unless you have craving for feeling Like Captain Quint, I would strongly advise against spearfishing here.

what awaits you at Tuna alley
    Quint-kicking.jpg

While at Tuna Alley we hooked some Yellowfin in a very strong current.

Our Charter Master Corky hooks a good fish. It’s not fighting like a tuna However, after a long fight, he lands a giant Yellowtail which would tip the scales at 72 lbs back at the dock.

a beast
    DSCN0193.JPG

Lupe holds the world record for YT. Land of monsters.

Fairly soon we are off making our way around the south tip of the island. Once you get near the backside the scenery changes. Clouds enveloping the large cliffs make for some great photo opps. Skull Island.

spooky clouds
    DSCN0197.JPG

Jaime on the troll backside, No wahoo.
    DSCN0199.JPG

We make a few stops for YT. Its different here. Instead of the usually 200 ft deal ,the spots here are 100 ft or less.

The man of desperation , Jaime , hooks a huge fish on the dropper loop. This one isnt fighting like a YT, instead it makes a run and the hook snaps off the 100 lb line. Captain Roy thinks it was a big black sea bass.

We will never know – It’s the Continuation Theory at work.

The RP deck is a funny place at times. It’s a very large back deck which is strewn with tackle boxes and a misplaced seatee behind the bait tanks where a large rocket launcher/tackle system would look much better.

I know that some like this seating area. Some way more than others. You know there are 33 people on this LR trip for 8 days. Probably 75% of them are repeat customers with some as much as 15 years on this trip. They get used to things.

Sometimes it’s hard being the new guys on an established trip.

This wasn’t too bad. Corky was great as charter master and made us feel at home, but at times there was these little clicks and such that seemed to not adapt so well to the Vegas influx.

One guy in particular , claimed one of the seats as his personal space and did not want anyone else to sit there.

He approached the non confrontational Dave ,who was seating in this seat, and said to him seriously

“ Why are you sitting in my space”

Wow , really?

Along the rail, I had an episode with this guy and I was about to go Jersey on him. He seemed stuck in his ways and wasn’t changing for anyone.

Then Dave told me his story and I really was going to go Jersey on him. But I thought about it and calmed down. We are out here on the ocean. together

Its not worth it. Keep an open mind and don’t let anything or anyone get to you.
    You don't know what is going on in this guy's life(leave that stuff at home if you can).

Its better to keep calm and fish on.

Well about the same time I was getting a good idea on how it felt to be Jaime:
    • I would try the Asian jigging thing- Nada
    • Switched lures again and again-Nada
    • Daytime dropper loop-Nada
    • mental mind f**k

I was trying everything , was skunked, when many were catching YT . It wasn’t great fishing but there was a bite.

This sucks feeling like Jaime . New feelings of sorrow swept over me and combined with that Seat dude, I wasn’t feeling it today. This is a rare space for me, I have very rarely been snake bit my whole fishing life and it freakin’ blows . I try to avoid it at all costs .

Jaime in the meantime, was still compounding yesterday’s “O fer” to new levels.

Today would be a Vegas team effort in futility.

Feeling like I wanted to cry, around 3 PM ,I grabbed one of my 50lb wahoo bomb setups and tied on a old school scrambled egg 6x. An okuma Andros 12S on a calstar 700h.

I cast it way out and let it sink, counted to 30 in the strong current and then reeled like a madman wahoo style.
    About half way I get picked up.
    Yes Finally ! I soon get this YT in and off the snide.

I tried this again. Cast out as far as I can , count to 30 and reel fast as I can.

Boom! another one.

Ok, I think I found it. It was weird catching YT like I was wahoo fishing but it was working. I put 4 fish on the boat in 1 hour.

Saved my day. Sunshine soon appeared with a rainbow in the distance. Catching fish can change your viewpoint quickly

Around 5 pm we took off and left the fabled island. Tomorrow there would be no fishing as we checked out from Ensenada and made our way to our last day spot – San Clemente Island and Desperation Point in US waters to try for big Bluefin tuna and the big finale.

Bye bye Guadalupe- It was nice meeting you.
    DSCN0205.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  6. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Hi Dave , not realy, I think we saw a couple boobies(the bird kind) but not many.
    There wasnt any birds trying to get your baits when they hit the water.

7. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    I feel for your bud's misfortune but obviously that wasn't the problem. I've been there too but not to that extent! Thanks for taking the time to write this. Great read and you've got a talent for it. Good on you and Dave for not unscrewing Seat Dude's head!

8. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    A 72 pound yellowtail?? That has to be rarer than a 400 pound yellowfin! OMG!

9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

I know you (kind person that you are).... would have offered to go get him a beer so he could remain seated.....you are so understanding;)

10. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Love the report ......thanks for the photos and info.....good stuff!!!

vegasandre likes this.
  11. Freshone21

Freshone21 Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Ranger Z521
    Great report and pics..Bring it home!

vegasandre likes this.
  12. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Great report! Love seeing all the pictures and hearing and living the stories. It brings back vivid memories of my younger days....see I worked on a dive boat....I dove Guadalupe for like 4 years on many LR dive trips...exactly where you were fishing. We used to call Monster Rock, Afuera rock...what an amazing place. I remember the long range boats used to think we were crazy. I think them fishing and attracting all the sharks is what made it relatively safe? It's an amazing, spooky, E Ticket ride ...every dive at this magical place. I have since done some cage diving there and seen and held fins with the Taxman. I don't think I could ever get back in the water now. Oh those younger years.

Thanks again for sharing such a vivid story!

One_Leg, vegasandre and Fishybuzz like this.
  13. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Andre,

I am loving your report, it brings back great memories of my trip to the 'Lupe this summer. It truly is a magical place and one that I won't soon forget. Glad to see that you were able to get the funk off on that last day at the island, as a well known long ranger once said to me "Sometimes you are the hammer, and sometimes you are the nail."

-Connor

vegasandre likes this.
  14. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Thanks for the full EPIC report. For those that have not done a full meal deal report, trust me they represent a ton of work. For those that write detailed trip reports, it is truly a labor of love. As always an Andre report is a piece of art!!

15. Montaukmaniac

Montaukmaniac Thats my son, not me.

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Great report, Great humor! Thanks.

16. Arima-bob

Arima-bob pescadore n jäger

Name:
    Beeulzebob
    Boat:
    uh....
    Andre, I love this write up story. I've never Ben to the Lupe, or even on a long range trip. I really feel like I'm there with you along the rail, and watching everything pan out with my own eyes. I think I have another goal to tackle in the near future!

I must admit, Jaime is having a hell of a trip. I can relate though. I too have had a lot of skunk trips. It sucks!!

vegasandre likes this.
  17. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
    OMG I feel so bad for that dude. And I'm not talking about the seat dude. My reply would have simply been "excuse me?" His reply would have determined the rest.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    dh515 likes this.
  18. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Part 8 - The Big Reset

Day 7

Today is a travel day. Since we weren’t going to be fishing this morning, I got up after 7 AM.

Ahh, it’s nice to sleep in –especially after a ton of fishing. It was so relaxing that I even had breakfast.

I am one of those individuals that actually lose some weight on LR trips. I eat my share of meals , but I think it’s because I fish so hard and put in a ton of rail time that I lose some weight here.

Last year during a crazy wahoo bite , I walked over 20000 very intense steps in one day on my phone pedometer. You would be surprised how much you can burn by fishing hard. Jigging will also kill a ton of calories.

Jaime and Dave made their way into the Galley from another extended beauty rest.

Dave was in a good mood, while Jaime was licking his wounds.

Today we would do an easy check in at Ensenada(no dog )midday before making the northward trek towards SCI.

Captain Roy held a brief meeting on the Bluefin Bite for tomorrow.

Because it was a warm, calm , major holiday weekend , with a good reported big Bluefin bite, he was sure that SCI would barely have another boat within 5 miles of us on a Saturday.

And if you believe that then I have a couple Terez rods that I can sell you.

SCI is home to US navy testing and the Island is closed at times. But on a holiday weekend - It would be wide open.

Desperation Reef is in zone "D"
    sci_safety_zones.png

The tales of fish caught and lost were common place today during our day of leisure.

Jaime was pretty beaten up mentally and physically.
    Last year he just had major back surgery which he has mostly recovered from – except his left leg is kind of numb at times.

Even Van Halen wrote a song about it:
    Jaime's Crying

I am thinking our next scheduled trip is seriously in doubt. Next February 2017 we are both booked on a 18/15 day Accurate trip Fly back on the RP again(for my 50th bday trip).

Listening to him today , I know that he is seriously contemplating cancelling that trip. I didn’t ask, but you can tell that he had it handed to him this trip. I don’t even bring the next trip up. I am going regardless as I have to use my coveted “Hall Pass “ -as a golden ticket is rare indeed. I even gave a 4 year heads up to the Admiral on this one.

Dave can’t go on that trip as getting over 2 weeks off of work is a fantasy for him. He says he works 100 hours a week while Jaime and I , with our real estate business , work like 10 .

Dave you know I work at least 20 hours. :-)

Dave and Jaime yesterday at the Lupe with some tiny weird fish in hand
    DSCN0154.JPG

Big D made a Pretty great Video of the trip. After Lunch he played it on the TV .
    I am not sure where Jaime was but when I told him about the Great Video that Big D made and if he was going to buy a copy,

Jaime responded with:
    "Fuck that thing , I am going to use it as a frisbee"
    I bust out laughing.
    Ok I guess he is still in a certain frame of mind.

As the afternoon chilled out , I was planning for tomorrow’s planned “armada bite”. I am sure 2000 boats will have a very positive effect on the skittish blue fin .

Knowing that the RP isn’t up in this area that much or at all and may not have a complete handle on this bite like a private or overnight boat might, I get on the internet and log on to Fish Dope.

It seems the local boys have been on this good Desperation Reef bite for a few days now. It’s a mainly squid event.

50-120 lb BFT with a ½ oz sliding sinker on 50lb test and even sometimes 40lb test. Sardines are only working with limited results. With a couple of fish on glow flat falls at Grey light.

This is very good info.

I tell Jaime and Dave we will be there around 3 am and need to get up to try for squid. Squid is the key.

I am not expecting anything tomorrow. I have pretty much written off the last day as I know how hard boat traffic is on the BFT. Still –We have a little good intel and just in case, maybe a chance for Jaime to pull something out at the 11th hour and save his trip.

Head to bed after 9 with a 2:45 alarm set.

You Can't keep a good dog down for too long...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  19. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    What are Dave and Jaime holding in the last picture?

20. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Hi Gary it was some weird little fish , here is a close up of it.
    DSCN0169.JPG

surfgoose likes this.