Ever had your prop blown?

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by trophywa, Aug 8, 2018.

1. C.Bergs

C.Bergs Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
    I was flying the kite the backside of Clemente for 7 hours on Friday the 10th for nada. Brought in the kite at 5pm, stowed everything for the trip back to Avalon where we were going to spend the weekend fishing for yellows, put the skippy in forward to head around backside of west end of Clemente, and as soon as it was under any load, heard a loud grinding sound for a second and then the RPM's spiked. Took it out of gear, screamed "FUCK!" real loud a bunch of times, put it back in gear to get RPMs, but no movement in either forward or reverse. Got in the water (75 degrees, blue, refreshing haha) thinking we lost the prop - we always have a spare. Took everything apart and put it back together twice. Hub wasn't spun. Seems to be gear failure (I just had the VP 280 rebuilt 4 months ago). Called Vessel Assist at 5:45, finally picked us up at 10:30pm, and towed all night to Marina del Rey until 6:30am. Luckily, there was no swell, no wind, no current, and we were 600 yards off the beach. All things considered, it was the best worst case scenario! The dudes from Vessel Assist were super nice about it, even though we knew it was a nightmare for them too.

To make things more interesting, there was a 60' sportfisher doing 10 knots about an hour into the tow between SCI and Catalina and it was heading straight for our boats. Vessel Assist hailed the boat on 16, even calling the boat out by name because they had AIS. We banked left to try and dodge it and so did the sportfisher. We banked right and so did the sportfisher. Tow boat ended up making a hard 90 degree turn and went wayyy outside the sportfisher. We think he was asleep, which is terrifying to think about.

Anyway, my buddy and I drank a bottle of tequila and ate all the food on board. Took the cushions from the cuddy cabin and slept on the deck all night under the stars.

Paying all the dues

2. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    AACF8763-950A-4521-8EDB-2A4AAF2B1F0B.jpeg Will you change my prop?

boxofrain likes this.