trophywa

Captain Stubing
Aug 10, 2009
Vacaville Ca.
Name
Tom Sharp
Boat
nikki's nemesis
Made macs at EB. Leave for the 302. Doing 20 knots, reach the mark. See puddling tuna, shut down to get organized. Say let’s fly the kite! Start the boat, throw the kite up and get about 2800 rpm, motor revs to connecting rod failure(almost). Put it in neutral, reel the kite in. Collect our thoughts and think prop hub is spun, try a couple hard take offs and rpms to the moon. Troll from 302 to PT.Loma at 2300 rpm or about 5.7 mph for the next 5 hours. All the kelps were dry, one whale, one turtle. Put the spare prop on at the marina and will hit it hard tomorrow, just not sure if we’re going south or north.

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Powertech?

Around 600-1,000 hrs?

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
MAJOR= "Ever blow your prop Gunny"

GUNNY HIGHWAY="Hell ya, after the 3rd bitch stole my pickup in the Oceans11
Parking in lot in O'side, I blew my prop clean thru the back wall of Motel6" LOL LOL

(glad you made it back to port)

GunnyHighway.jpg

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
On the first day of a mother ship trip on the Celia Angelina we came in on the pangas to find the prop laying on the deck.
Bobby just had it replaced and whoever installed it neglected to weld in the keepers.
First time they put it in reverse it spun off.
We got towed around by the Eric for the week and then back to port.

So yeah, i saw the mother of blown props.

Reactions: Tunahead

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Made macs at EB. Leave for the 302. Doing 20 knots, reach the mark. See puddling tuna, shut down to get organized. Say let’s fly the kite! Start the boat, throw the kite up and get about 2800 rpm, motor revs to connecting rod failure(almost). Put it in neutral, reel the kite in. Collect our thoughts and think prop hub is spun, try a couple hard take offs and rpms to the moon. Troll from 302 to PT.Loma at 2300 rpm or about 5.7 mph for the next 5 hours. All the kelps were dry, one whale, one turtle. Put the spare prop on at the marina and will hit it hard tomorrow, just not sure if we’re going south or north.
Yes, lobster trap in the dark... it sucked

mattador

seahab patient
Jan 7, 2007
Carlsbad
Name
matt
Boat
25 whaler
Been there done that . Sounds definitely like a hub on the good news not too expensive to fix. Bad news slows down the day drastically.

sandy sandman

Nov 25, 2011
San Diego CA. USA
Name
sandy sanford
Boat
reel good time
Don't feel bad I spun a prop out of sd bay couldn't go more than 3 miles an hour trolled for 2 hours for 3 Bonita 6 hours to to get back to Shelter Island launch ramp the second time went to La Jolla kelp somebody stole part of my my prop cap put it in reverse and I lost the whole prop had to get towed in

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly

Parking in lot in O'side, I blew my prop clean thru the back wall of Motel6" LOL LOL

View attachment 952802
Ron. All the bionics your packing is making gunny a little wild! Lol

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly

View attachment 952802
Ron. All the bionics your packing is making gunny a little wild! Lol

rhamilton210

Adventurous sort
Mar 20, 2006
Poway
Name
Ron
Boat
18 Glastron, BBLU
Whoa. Scary to see how often spinning a prop happens. Definitely will carry a spare from now on. Now, DONT drop the castellated nut overboard at the 371. Plunk!

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Albacore 70 miles out of Morro Bay. Hit a mola mola 35 miles on way in with building seas.

Swapped on the water hanging of the back of the boat. Didn't realize thrust washer stuck to spun prop. Made it back. At wash down saw that prop machine away bearing carrier to a millimeter of the seals.

Got to learn how to rebuild a lower unit, got home safe and learned a lesson.

Reactions: Olddog8

boxofrain

Jul 6, 2007
san Juan Capistrano
Name
Ed Schmitt
Boat
Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
Made macs at EB. Leave for the 302. Doing 20 knots, reach the mark. See puddling tuna, shut down to get organized. Say let’s fly the kite! Start the boat, throw the kite up and get about 2800 rpm, motor revs to connecting rod failure(almost). Put it in neutral, reel the kite in. Collect our thoughts and think prop hub is spun, try a couple hard take offs and rpms to the moon. Troll from 302 to PT.Loma at 2300 rpm or about 5.7 mph for the next 5 hours.
I have had chronic hub issues with both props and multiple hub failures leading to long rides at low speed. Just posted about the latest on yesterday

C.Bergs

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
I was flying the kite the backside of Clemente for 7 hours on Friday the 10th for nada. Brought in the kite at 5pm, stowed everything for the trip back to Avalon where we were going to spend the weekend fishing for yellows, put the skippy in forward to head around backside of west end of Clemente, and as soon as it was under any load, heard a loud grinding sound for a second and then the RPM's spiked. Took it out of gear, screamed "FUCK!" real loud a bunch of times, put it back in gear to get RPMs, but no movement in either forward or reverse. Got in the water (75 degrees, blue, refreshing haha) thinking we lost the prop - we always have a spare. Took everything apart and put it back together twice. Hub wasn't spun. Seems to be gear failure (I just had the VP 280 rebuilt 4 months ago). Called Vessel Assist at 5:45, finally picked us up at 10:30pm, and towed all night to Marina del Rey until 6:30am. Luckily, there was no swell, no wind, no current, and we were 600 yards off the beach. All things considered, it was the best worst case scenario! The dudes from Vessel Assist were super nice about it, even though we knew it was a nightmare for them too.

To make things more interesting, there was a 60' sportfisher doing 10 knots about an hour into the tow between SCI and Catalina and it was heading straight for our boats. Vessel Assist hailed the boat on 16, even calling the boat out by name because they had AIS. We banked left to try and dodge it and so did the sportfisher. We banked right and so did the sportfisher. Tow boat ended up making a hard 90 degree turn and went wayyy outside the sportfisher. We think he was asleep, which is terrifying to think about.

Anyway, my buddy and I drank a bottle of tequila and ate all the food on board. Took the cushions from the cuddy cabin and slept on the deck all night under the stars.

Paying all the dues