RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Lots of honesty and humor here brothers. So...for those who have experienced both sculpin and the stingray.... which is more painful?
    Interesting question, Sculpin hurt like hell but its a poke in your skin like a sliver, stingray is intense and lasts at the least a couple hours even when tended to and VERY painful, YES pissing on it helps...... I grew up surfing Ray Bay n Bolsa so no stranger, I vote Stingray!

Last edited:
    Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Lots of honesty and humor here brothers. So...for those who have experienced both sculpin and the stingray.... which is more painful?
    Years ago I was stuck by a stingray on the mission Bay jetty in the middle of the night.
    It almost went through my hand between the pinky and ring finger.
    Hurt like a MF instantly. My hand swelled up so fast. My buddy lived right behind the Pennant.
    Made my way there and was in agony until morning.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    My personal stingray story.... fishing in the surf... got a nice size ray.... maybe 30#... drug it through the waves. Was wearing old "Vans" tennis shoes. Reeled him in slowly.... but he got a push from a small wave... past me and in my attempt to control him.... he hit me above the shoe... ankle area. GOD it hurt....and was bleeding. It stuck me so fast.... but it was the side pull out that ripped the skin...and planted the barb.

At 11 years old.... I was in already in trouble at home cause I decided to stay a little later... it was now past sunset...lol. The worst was yet to come..... as I had to ride my bike home....about 6 miles... and I had to go NOW.

My dad was at work.... so no car for my mom to pick me up. Didn't really have a choice back then... if we kids wanted to go fishing.... take your bike. Anyways.....After barb removal.... and soaking for about an hour at the LIFEGUARD Station..... I got on my bike.... and road home.

Of course.... They offered to call my dad at work... and ask him to come and get me.... really? That would have doubled the pain.... a butt whopping and a Stingray encounter.... ohhhh HELL NO!! (they heard me saying as I was riding away slowly)...LMAO.

Hence my question brothers. Stingray wins in my book.... even without the grueling bike ride home. You know what my dad said.... when he found.out....."dumb ass"!! "I told you to watch out for those".

So.... be safe out there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Spearfishing off Bird Rock (before MILPAS), shot straight down on a big ol sculpin. It bent the tip so removing it was a pain, and I got poked. I was by myself, and after a few minutes, I felt the venom creeping up my arm. I kicked for shore, and felt like it was overcoming my system. My whole right side was feeling the effects, and I was worried it may mess with my breathing. I got to shore, and got home, without ending up in the hospital. It was an a$$ kicker, for sure! Much worst than a little nothing! I am not sure about pi$$ing on the area, but I suspect this myth is nothing but a reason to urinate on someone who is hurting. Maybe the "hot" water helps. Maybe try this for a sore throat too. I suspect taking a dump on the area would keep it warmer, longer. Watch out for these bastards- no fun!

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    When I lived on Maui, a couple guys I worked with got Urchins in their feet. The Hawaiians said you had to get someone else to piss on the area for relief, couldn't be your own pee. WUWT.

Thanks for sharing guys, good stories!

What I consumed:

Hot fluids help most to alleviate the pain, even Coffee. One guy said get the hot water from the outboard pee stream. (never would have thought of that).

One guy said, filet the Sculpin and wrap the outer skin inward toward the affected area. Probably works and this method has surely been passed down for ages. (tell me how that works out for you).

Other guys said, rub an eyeball of a Rockfish or Sculpin on the wound. (that I may try. At least I'd have the satisfaction of hurting the Sculpin too)

One guy suggested watching, "Kings of Pain" Those guys are like the "Jackass" guys that were on MTV.

Seems like some guys are saying Stingray is worse. Even though I surfed for 15 years never got one in the foot. Have been tagged by a small one while surf fishing when he curled his tail up on me while trying to the hook out. For me, only an hour of pain and not as severe. Actually jambing one into your foot could be a whole different world.

I think what I took out of this the most is that I am not the only dumbass.

Thanks for participating, it's a fun thread and way better than talking politics.

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    When I lived in Belize I think I got nailed by about every poisonous thing in the sea at one time or another. The worst was my last yellow stingray poke because my right big toe is still half numb 9 yrs later. the rest of the bites stings pokes burns healed.
    The worst was luckily not on me. Some local guys were coming back to my dock from chopping mangoves on the south end of the island in a 20ft mako. An eagle ray did a huge jump out of the water, like they do, and landed in the chest of a small maya indian guy who was sitting in the seat infront of the console. The boat was going full speed. When they arrived at the dock I saw a dead eagle ray laying in the back of the boat, the grab rail around the windshield all bent to shit, and this kid in shock on the front seat. he had a busted off 12in spine poking out from below his collar bone with the point sticking out of his back above his shoulder. Missed his lungs and any arteries. He survived.

Upvote 0

Leucadiachuck

Big brother is watching
    Mar 4, 2014
    Name
    Chuck
    Boat
    Is missing
    Not me, but I remember numerous occasion seeing it happen. Sandals on the deck, fingers, one guy threw one when he lipped it and it started to get all lively. He tossed it right at a guys back. He got 4 or 5 good pokes. Was bleeding from each one. Guys was really cool about it and took it like a champ Hardly complained. Was on the Freedom like 15 years ago. One guy complained so much everyone wanted to throw his ass over. I think that was on the City of LB. I'm an ER nurse so if it ain't falling off or bleeding enough for me to raise a brow, I could care less. The more you bitch the better off I know you are. That means you got an airway. So take that shit to the bow.

agreed 100%

Upvote 0

Gbaker770

Jan 18, 2012
    St Augustine Florida
    Name
    Gavin Baker
    Boat
    Mullet Hunter
    I've been hit so many times by those things. When you handle and filet limits for 20+ people your bound to get stuck. Worst time for me was kicking a sack and having the spine go underneath my big toenail. That was a little rough.
    I love fishing for thorn. Some of my favorite fishing.

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    They didnt put them in the Scorpaenidae family for nothin! Under a toenail or fingernail or in the knuckle has always been my favorite!

I always have Cipro on board for bad punctures to take as a prophylactic. Better than getting a nasty infection that puts you on land for a week or more.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    As stated: COFFEE!
    We poured it on countless hands over the years as people/passengers, would reach over and grab the fish even after being warned🤦‍♂️.

I've Been stung to many times to count working the boats. But fresh HOT caffeinated coffee. Takes it right away.👍🏼👍🏼

But I have had 1 bad day. I Took a baby sculpin's dorsals fin down my entire ring finger. I got tagged real good 5 times down the inside of that finger from that little guy. As I was shaking him loose with my needle nose. As I shook him off - He flipped at the same time. I basically caught him in this wired way as he rolled down my finger and back into the sea.

And we were fresh out of coffee and didn't have any more caffeinated coffee onboard.... We had to cut my ring off about 5 minutes later and; well that day was over quickly for me. My finger swelled up so bad. I had the blue vein running up the arm, full body hot flashes ripping. And no Benadryl... my good friend and captain told me to sit it out and I did just that. But that was a very long 5-6 hours. With the entire thing lasting about 8. Talk about being useless. It was a good example for a lot of the passengers who have never seen someone get tagged before. It's a very humbling fish tag.

That story still sticks around every time I'm invited to jump on deck these days. During bass and sculpin season.

I've got a question: has anyone been tagged by a sugar bass and had s bad reaction???
    I've had a few bad experiences and have seen them as well. I can't explain it. But that sugar bass tag is ROUGH. And the bleeding just doesn't stop sometimes...

• Wow
    Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    Old guy was walking around the cattle boat with a bag full of rattlers, Clipped me in the calf, got 4 deep holes with blood dripping out and everything. Almost grabbed his bag and tossed it over. Spent 45 min or so with a beer and a coffee sip for me pour for my leg. Fished the rest of the day through the pain. It sucked hard. hurt up into my sack. Now i keep scissors on my boat and de spine them.

Also I don't know if its true but a diver buddy of mine says if you rub them between the eyes they produce a slime that is the anti venom. Then just rub it on the wound and it drastically reduces pain. Never tried it.

Oh and I took 2 stingrays to the feet last year, A big one in the Gulf of Mexico and a little guy in SD. The little one was way worse than the sculpin just didn't last as long.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    After reading this thread I was happy to say I have never been stuck, but forgot to knock on wood.

Sunday my girl pulls up a nice rattler. I hand the skipper my shears to trim the spins.

Later on the day, I was transferring fish into a larger bag with the orange fish gloves.

Pinche sculpin fully armored jabs me in the tip of my middle finger.

Pain was not too bad and went down to my wrist. It's still tender and bleeding as I type this.

Lesson learned, trust but verify. Speak better Spanish.

hijole ole

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat
    Kathleen
    Ya Tin Pangas hooked me up with a SMOKING deal on a boat last year. Its in a slip, easy to get to. Lets roll.
    Fuck yeah. We got a 245 lb T a year ago on that boat. K has gotten some on that boat too. Been fishing on it for years . Nice rig

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Also I don't know if its true but a diver buddy of mine says if you rub them between the eyes they produce a slime that is the anti venom. Then just rub it on the wound and it drastically reduces pain. Never tried it.
    You've got to run one way tho. From mouth up to eyes ⬆️ They have s narly little set of about 6 spines. Little spines. After felleting way to many seasons worth of them. You tend to get used to it. There's spines there and on the gill plates that go through our fillets gloves. There deffenetly not as spicy and the main dorsals tho. Just remember to rub up!👍🏼

We've always talked about that trick for years now. I think it happens like that do to the food chain. So that whatever eats the sculpin doesn't Idk die....

Reactions: jspana
    Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Been stung by a couple rays and some bitching jellyfish. The worst of them all was a 100lb stingray that I horsed in off the beach. It was full of energy and when it behind to lift it up and take a picture and get the hook out, it whipped it's tail around my arm. The stinger barely got me but the tail cut a ring around my bicep when it pulled the tail back. Absolutely horrible.

Another bad incident was when I had just got a man o war in my cast net. The tentacles came off and were spread out over the net. You couldn't see them and I got ready to throw again. As soon as I put the net over my shoulder, the left side of my body went numb. Everything from the cheek to the waist. The pain kicked in around 30 minutes later and burnt like hell. Poured some bottled water on it and then sprinkled about half a container of meat tenderizer on it. The pain went away in about 2 hours but I still had numbness till the end of the day.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Sculpin: Once in the palm of my left hand. Not too deep and fell right out. Hurt about like a bee sting.

Olive Rockfish: Slipped while filleting and jabbed in over an inch into right thumb from the pad past the knuckle on the side next to my index finger. Less than a minute til I felt woozy. At 5 minutes I threw-up. Hurt like fire going up my arm. Took 3 Benadryl and ran hot tap water over it for as long as I could stand it. Friends kept me up to make sure I didn't have a worse reaction even though I was drowsy from the Benadryl and being up ~20 hours. 2 hours later swelling subsided. Stiff for over a week.

Stingray: Once in the side of right foot just below the bone that sticks out of your ankle. Wearing surf-mocs, the barb got stuck in the fabric and he struggled to pull out with the barb inside me for more than 10 seconds. Pancake sized ray near Punta Chivato, Baja Mexico. Made it back to my truck and honked the horn SOS (3 long, 3 short, 3 long, 3 short,...) hoping my buddies would come back in the boat. Someone else came and found me, drove me to Punta Chivato. Ankle swelled up as big as a cantaloup. At the hotel they soaked my foot in hot water with plenty of lime juice. Got pretty drunk on $30 worth of Margaritas, but still felt the pain. Swelling went down and the guy who found me drove me back to camp. The next morning my foot was back to swollen like a Cantaloup. My buddies uncle (a native down there) stopped by and when he saw my foot he walked off into the desert and brought back a plant he called Dimnanya. He cooked it with sugar and water, and gave me a cup full to drink then stuck my foot in the rest. He gave me a half a bottle of Mezcal and told me to finish it then drink water until i pee'd 3 times. The tea tasted nasty but I could feel the pain going away pretty quick and I felt pretty high before I ever touched the Mezcal. I don't remember much of that day, but I don't think I drank much of the Mezcal, and only drank enough water to pee once. I had one of the worst hang overs the next morning. Driving 16 hours back home in a stick-shift was no fun!

Yellow Jackets: Got hit over 40 stings when my son stepped in a nest. He ran screaming by me and dove into a big pool downstream of where I was fishing with my daughter. When I got the 1st sting, it dawned on me why. I grabbed her and pushed her into the pool I was fishing, told her to take a deep breath, then jumped on top of her. My back and part of my head were above the surface. We got out of there as soon as they stopped stinging me. Jeff got 3 stings on his leg, Emily 7 stings on her legs and shoulders. I went into a mild shock that left me numb and caused me to slur my speech and walk slow, Benadryl and a hot shower at the ranger station helped a lot. The lady Ranger had an Epi-pen just in case and offered to call an ambulance.

Take-away: Yellow Jackets probably were the most life threatening for amount of venom, but my reaction wasn't too bad.
    Stingray was the most scary for being remote and having a pretty bad reaction. The Cure was almost as bad as the reaction.
    The Olive Rockfish scared the heck out of me for how quick the reaction was.

Upvote 0

Allen Rice

Cranefish
    May 21, 2019
    West covina
    Name
    Allen Rice
    Boat
    N/A
    First time I got stuck by a sculpin, it was suggested that I piss on the wound. That the ammonia would neutralize it. My hand still swelled up like a baseball glove but the pain lessened alot, eventually no pain . The last time I got stuck it was suggested that I stick my wound in hot water. That did helped ALOT!! The poison seeped out of the wound, never swelled or felt discomfort, except for the heat of the hot water, which is no big deal in comparison

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    THEY SAY that snakebite suction kits have proven to be very effective for stingray stabs. Pulls out alot of poison but most of the time when you get nailed you arent around a medical kit. I dont see this working for spiny fish as they dont make a wound.

• Wow
    Reactions: Allen Rice
    Upvote 0

Allen Rice

Cranefish
    May 21, 2019
    West covina
    Name
    Allen Rice
    Boat
    N/A
    THEY SAY that snakebite suction kits have proven to be very effective for stingray stabs. Pulls out alot of poison but most of the time when you get nailed you arent around a medical kit. I dont see this working for spiny fish as they dont make a wound.
    They do leave a small puncture wound, like the point of a ball point pen

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I'm always leery about unhooking sculpin especially two kinds: little guys and the real big ones. The little ones go nuts wiggling when you try to thumb them, and the spines are not far away... The big ones will wrestle you with surprising force sometimes when you thumb them and can get you if they loosen your grip.

I read somewhere that a number of the sebastes have some poison along their fin spines. From the above it sounds like two of them are grass and olive rockfish.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

sushimi

Mar 4, 2007
    ORANGE
    Name
    Sam
    Boat
    Edgewater 185cc
    I have been stung a couple of times. The last time the pain was excruciating. My arm thankfully went numb after a few minutes. Don’t want to repeat that!

My fishing buddy, Sushimi, got scratched and he turned all gray and sat down on the floor of the boat. He never admitted, but I think he was ready to pass out.

Now I got “lip grippers”. (The Orange things in the photo) No more thumbing those rattlers!
    View attachment 1251029
    I wanted to die that day..
    Some pokes are bigger than others
    That one... almost made me feel like I didn't want to exist.. it was that bad.

Upvote 0

Latest posts