the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
This morning started out with the 38 degree temperature and Surfline Website showed a brisk offshore wind. I finally got the nerve to give it a try at 8:00 am. Left the launch at 8:30 am. Wind stopped and it was a smooth ride 6 miles south.

Did three 600 foot drops for nada, then the wind picked up from the west. Moved inside to a rock for some bass fishing.

Snow crop.png

Domes crop.png

Hills were green at the Domes and in the other direction you could see snow on the distant hills.

SnapShot(1).jpg

Bite was pretty good for the first hour, as I caught 4 Calicos and one nice Barred Bass, which I kept for food.

bass.png

bass tail.png

Somebody took a bite out of her tail on the way up and was not sure of survival, so I am going to eat her tomorrow.

P1030533.JPG

There was a cloud of fish suspended above the rock

I was getting some nice long running bites after passing over the rock in the immediate sand. A couple of times came back with my plastic with missing tails, short bites. I decide to let it run and hope for the best. Keep in mind with wind was blowing and needed to be in free-spool to maintain the bottom. With only about 50 yards left on the bait-caster I lock it, wait for my tip to drop, then a swing. “SNAP” My Diawa graphite rod folds, line runs to the end, then “Zing Pow”. This spot is known for Haibut, however I will never know.

P1030535.JPG

Wind really started to pick up and there were small whitecaps.

P1030541.JPG
Almost ran into this hefty tree branch. I recovered it and brought it back to the launch.

About the time I hit DP harbor, some guy was chirping on 16 in regard to a boat at the launch having 20 people who jumped into the water. Had pictures, video of the event. When asked where they went, he didn’t know. “WHAT?” How could you not know? There is nowhere to go. Two Sherriff boats were headed that way just in front of me. Soon after there was a Coastguard helicopter flying north and south looking. Dude must have been replaying his video just incase he needed to sell it to a news channel, lol. Meanwhile, everyone vanishes.

P1030558.JPG

I believe it may have been this Yacht. Funny its name is “Release”.

“psuh”

Oh, something for your back pocket.

P1030542.JPG

Been looking for a LED replacement Anchor Light. Most bulbs are 1/2” diameter. Mine is a mini bulb, about 3/8” wide. I looked for about an hour before pulling the trigger. I wanted to try it to make sure it was bright and did not get hot. It passed on both counts today. I could see it was on even in the bright sun.

Here is the link.

Amazon product
1674357776849.png

Last edited:

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat Name
Still Looking
Interesting, that boat Release is an 11 meter Laguna, built in the 70s by American Marine, the founders/builders of Grand Banks who wanted a faster model, designed by Newport Beach Naval Architect Robert Dorris, there was a famous one owned by Newport Beach TV celebrity Joey Bishop.

I have seen one redone into a commercial fishing sea urchin boat, ran from Ventura to San Nicolas Island and was a great heavy weather hull design. You don’t see too many around, probably built less than 30.

Maybe there were offloading some non-citizens from below the border?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Interesting, that boat Release is an 11 meter Laguna, built in the 70s by American Marine, the founders/builders of Grand Banks who wanted a faster model, designed by Newport Beach Naval Architect Robert Dorris, there was a famous one owned by Newport Beach TV celebrity Joey Bishop.

I have seen one redone into a commercial fishing sea urchin boat, ran from Ventura to San Nicolas Island and was a great heavy weather hull design. You don’t see too many around, probably built less than 30.

Maybe there were offloading some non-citizens from below the border?
    I remember that boat in front of Joey Bishops house on Lido Isle when I sold boats in Lido Village.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    GREAT REPORT and pics. Glad ya got out and gave it a go. Good job on tree branch removal.
    Looks like a blow and big swells up further North here today, Gale warning posted. Geez.
    I bet Bolan is anxious to get out with ya' too??? LOL

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Playoff Tacos. Amazing how many tasty tacos you can make from one Bass.

:rofl:

P1030562.JPG
    P1030572.JPG

P1030570.JPG

"psuh"

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat Name
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    Nice work !! I'll be checking out Catalina for the day tomorrow, wind should be down for a day, then blow like you know what !! On that note let me triple check the weather for Wed. lol

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
  • Sep 8, 2012
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat Name
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    Ah! I launched an hour after you. 3 30 minute drops in 1200' for nada. Yes the wind became an issue so I moved back to 700', wasn't any better. Imagine that.

52641652249_f2cc32c5fb_b.jpg

When I came back to the ramp I pulled up on the other side of the dock to that boat in question. As I pulled up maybe 10 people (of Asian descent) hopped off the boat. I did think it was an inordinate amount of people for that boat but wrote it off as a family whale watching excursion. I didn't see anyone jump in the water. They walked off toward the restaurants/parking lot. I was wondering about the helicopter.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    When I came back to the ramp I pulled up on the other side of the dock to that boat in question. As I pulled up maybe 10 people (of Asian descent) hopped off the boat. I did think it was an inordinate amount of people for that boat but wrote it off as a family whale watching excursion. I didn't see anyone jump in the water. They walked off toward the restaurants/parking lot.

Glad you filled in some holes in the story I heard on channel 16. Seems like some classify Asians as one people, even though they come from many differrent countrys. Although, as a supposed privileged white man born in California, all my encounters (64 years) with anyone who appears to be of Asian descent has always been very friendly and respectfull, both ways. Many bow, and I bow back. It is a great way of respecting people.

If I was to stereotype one particular annoying group of people, it would be white women on thier cell phones, either at the grocery store or when driving around town. Don't think anyone would call Sherriffs Harbor Patrol if 10 chirping white women excited a yacht on the water or land.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mostly Bullshit, should be taken with a gain of salt and most likely contain spelling and grammatical errors. Any issues regarding this comment should be directed to the WGARA Department. Thank you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
  • Sep 8, 2012
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat Name
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    Glad you filled in some holes in the story I heard on channel 16. Seems like some classify Asians as one people, even though they come from many differrent countrys. Although, as a supposed privileged white man born in California, all my encounters (64 years) with anyone who appears to be of Asian descent has always been very friendly and respectfull, both ways. Many bow, and I bow back. It is a great way of respecting people.

If I was to stereotype one particular annoying group of people, it would be white women on thier cell phones, either at the grocery store or when driving around town. Don't think anyone would call Sherriffs Harbor Patrol if 10 chirping white women excited a yacht on the water or land.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mostly Bullshit, should be taken with a gain of salt and most likely contain spelling and grammatical errors. Any issues regarding this comment should be directed to the WGARA Department. Thank you.

Dear Department of Whomstever Gives A Rat's Ass,

Only mentioned that they were Asian so as to paint the picture away from people prooobably imagining it to be Mexicans. Didn't study their faces any further because I didn't know I'd be so invested in a thread about it on BD later. No further description of the persons will be provided without a warrant.

With no further feet in my mouth,
    jrodda

Last edited: