Ethanol in Gas? Big Bucks

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by Yomper, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Yomper

Yomper Newbie

Name:
    Edward Reed
    Boat:
    none
    If there is ethanol in gasoline outboard mix it is fouling the outboard motors and him costa lotta dough to fix

2. jbmolly

jbmolly Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Don't have one yet!
    I thought Ethanol Gas was a very old concept that they have been using for a long time? So when did they start using it and how do you find, or where do you get Non E gas?

3. Yomper

Yomper Newbie

Name:
    Edward Reed
    Boat:
    none
    Oregon voted it in and now they pay, some drive into california for straight gas as Ethanol has no lubricating properties Most gas pumps have a warning ref ethanol content
    Autos engines are ok with it, most sugar producers push for the mix to be legalised

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"

There are a few stations around Oahu that carry ethanol free. The pump we used to use was just prior to the Waianae Boat Harbor on the Mauka (Mountain/inland) side of Farrington.

5. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    If your running a 2 stroke and are worried just add a little extra oil to it. Ethanol does not cost more to run nor does it screw engines up. LOW octane screws them up, buy higher grade fuel 91 or better. yes dryer it is but it helps get the moisture out. But what do I know, just what i have been told and taught.

6. Blesum

Blesum Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Yamaha FXHO
    If your motor's compression/timing is designed for 87 octane, then going to a higher octane gas will give you less power/mileage. Many people don't realize this. I didn't as a kid and was always putting 92 octane in my car thinking it was making it faster and giving me better mileage. Follow the manufacturer's octane recommendations.

Now about ethanol... I don't sweat it too much. My motor is a modern 4-stroke Yamaha so it's a non-issue for me. If I pass by the Aloha gas station in Waianae, I always get a fill-up (89 octane is only available ethanol-free by the way). Otherwise I just get whatever is at the pump (87 octane) locally.

-Paul

7. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    The Problem With Ethanol

Ethanol is touted as a miracle fuel that will save the environment from global warning, but Internet reports show complaints that the gasoline blend retains water, dissolves plastic fuel lines, and gums carburetors.

Since ethanol burns more quickly than gasoline, it may also get fewer miles per gallon in some cars. Consumer Reports says a Chevy Tahoe's mileage dropped from 14 to 10 mpg.

"Ethanol can dissolve some solid materials," says a June 2006 Yamaha advisory to dealers. That includes varnish and rust on steel and corrosion on aluminum tanks. The result is contaminated fuel.

"Some fuel tanks and fuel lines are made of plastic, and ethanol is eating away at the plastic," Jimmi Fredricks, service manager at Freedom Marine in Lake Placid, said for a previous Highlands Today article published in June. "It turns into a jelly, and when you get to the bottom of the fuel tank, it starts sucking it in."

"Fiberglass is the worst. If you have a fiberglass tank, you need to replace the tank. Get it out of there," Fredricks said. Engineers, who have been dealing with the ethanol problem for two years, are now starting to retrofit fuel systems with plastic that can't be dissolved by alcohol.

Ask any painter: alcohol is an excellent paint stripper. It breaks off old varnish, gums, and resin deposited by years of gasoline sitting around in tanks.

But then it turns into sticky goo, plugs filters, sticks up carburetors and fuel injectors, and causes everything from mild drops in performance to complete engine shutdown, says Matthew A. Cohen, writing for teamrsm.com.

"The ethanol found in those states' gasoline supply can cause thousands of dollars in damage to the boats," Cohen wrote. "Ethanol eventually pulls gums, resins and debris out of the tanks and into the engine."

8. Addicted2fishin

Addicted2fishin where's da fish

Name:
    RJ
    Boat:
    19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
    Hi. Ethanol is a great solvent. Add it to gas and it dissolves everything bad in your gas tank. Smaller particles are trapped in your fuel filter. Molecular dissolved particles pass through as liquid and continues on in your system. What you want to believe from there on is your desicion. Some say its bad. Some don't. Depends totally on how well... and new.. your fuels system is. Older systems will eventually lead to problems. Newer less to nil.

My take... we had really bad problems fouling carb jets running ethanol. Switched to non ethanol and redid fuel system. Everything seems to be running smooth.

Edit.. sorry.. Hb1111 hit it on the nose.

9. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    A friend of mine had Ethanol gas in his tank... sat for a bit, bout a month i guess... it phased seperated... found nasty water content in it and some sludge... ended up stranded offshore on the way to molokai... just use the stabilizer to keep it chemically sound... i do...

10. East Side

East Side Certified Masterb8er

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    23' Custom, Caroline II
    More worse than ethanol? WATER.....not gonna mention what gas station but i'll say it's a CHEVRON. Heading out fishing just maybe about a week ago a friend noticed that his engine was bogging down, 8 miles out the engine dies....checked the Racor what do you know? Got home emptyed the reserve 6 gallon he had at home he filled up at the same CHEVRON....................4 of the 6 GALLONS WAS WATER!!!!!!

What to do what to do now?...

11. Blue Seas Fab

Blue Seas Fab Moderator Advertiser

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    The major drawback to Ethanol (other than it's solvent properties) is that it does not contain the same amount of "energy" that gasoline does, thus, you must burn more of it to get the same "work". It lowers MPG's.

12. Yomper

Yomper Newbie

Name:
    Edward Reed
    Boat:
    none
    HB1111 .
    You hit it 100% correct

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  13. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Hey guys my ethonal problems went away with a product called "Soltron" the main problems with ethonal is that it has an electric charge to it and it collects water but does not help burn off the water. It is fairly pricey if I recall right but a small bottle, 16oz., treats up to 500 gallons.

I found this stuff here on this site from other boat users, gas & diesel motors. My boat has never run better, even with prolonged trolling.

14. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    Oh.......before I forget......it did not happen to me but......

Some users with older boats with old fuel tanks have had there fuel filters and/or water seperators foul up due to the additive eating this crude up. So if you try you might be advised to bring a news filters........just in case.

15. plainsman

plainsman plainsman

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    none
    Ethanol absorbs water, try some seafoam or other stabilizer so it don't corrode engine parts.

16. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    SOLTRON is your friend...

17. Conquest

Conquest Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    27, Boston Whaler, Conquest
    Best advice I recieved was don't let E fuel sit for an extended time frame. It will phase separate and cause you grief.