Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I would say $200.00 But only keep what you need. If you only want $100.00 that is a lot of fish. Those summer trips can add up in the processing fees. Don't go overboard. Catch and release or give what you don't need to someone who can use extra fish.
$0.75 per pound for fillet and vacuum packaging*
$1.25 per pound for smoking and vacuum packaging*
$2.25 per pound for jerking and vacuum packaging*

Upvote 0

amnajar

Raider
Jul 3, 2008
Los Angeles
Name
Mike
Boat
Which ever one will have me...
I booked my processing in advance at the Fred Hall Show last year and got mine done for .65 per pound, which was a .10 discount.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
irvine,ca
Name
lowell
Boat
bath tub
As previously said, don't get too caught up in keeping more than you need. I've gotten into the mindset of either releasing (great satisfaction) or giving away a lot of my catch. Every time I catch a 30# fish, it costs me about $22 if I keep it. That can add up very very quickly for about 5-7 minutes of fun. KA CHING $$$$$$$$$.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I agree with the keep what you need... I figure out what everyone in the family needs for the year and try and fish for that amount knowing that I will get about 35% from processing

I would say $200.00 But only keep what you need. If you only want $100.00 that is a lot of fish. Those summer trips can add up in the processing fees. Don't go overboard. Catch and release or give what you don't need to someone who can use extra fish.
$0.75 per pound for fillet and vacuum packaging*
$1.25 per pound for smoking and vacuum packaging*
$2.25 per pound for jerking and vacuum packaging*

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
i am not sure if the crew of the vagabond will filet your catch but most of the overnighter to 3 days boats charged $5 to filet. i have a food saver at home so i just portion out when i get home, leave what i want to eat fresh aside and put the rest on trays in the freezer for a few hours to firm up and vacumn sealed.

Upvote 0

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
will the crew process fish?

I doubt that the Vagabond crew will process your fish (call and ask). The crew in the short range fleet will fillet your fish. However, in my experience, the long range crew has said that it is illegal to fillet your fish in Mexican waters. So the long range crew won't fillet it. At least, that is what I was told.

Upvote 0

hawkplayer32

GOOD DEAL
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Anthony Hicks
Boat
Good Deal
Just call Fivestar fish processing or any of the other processing companies down there and see how much they charge for pound. Then multiply that by the number of pounds of fish you want to keep. Or call the boat you are fishing and ask if they do fish cleaning and how much it is. This is not rocket science...:deadhorse

Reactions: Bubba
Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Todd
Boat
65x20
Depends on the boat, most boats fillet fish on trips up to 2.5 days. Call the landing and check. $5 a fish beats $.80 per lb. Especially if you get a good crew who takes pride in their work. Plus that's 80% of how we make our living.

Reactions: johnnylite
Upvote 0

cap_lr

May 16, 2007
San Diego
Name
Laurens
Boat
SOLD!
As previously said, don't get too caught up in keeping more than you need. I've gotten into the mindset of either releasing (great satisfaction) or giving away a lot of my catch. Every time I catch a 30# fish, it costs me about $22 if I keep it. That can add up very very quickly for about 5-7 minutes of fun. KA CHING $$$$$$$$$.

Agreed 1000%! One of the best lessons I have learned in the last 15 years is to figure out how much fish you can actually eat and/or want to give away before you next trip and work backwards from there. Catch and release or give away to those who are struggling after you have reached as much as you need. 50% yield should be a close approximation.

I do two 15 day trips a year, six months apart and have it down to a near science. Nothing worse than throwing out old fish from your freezer to make room for fresh.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
="so*CALpaddyhop, post: 3344060, member: 20452"]Depends on the boat, most boats fillet fish on trips up to 2.5 days. Call the landing and check. $5 a fish beats $.80 per lb. Especially if you get a good crew who takes pride in their work. Plus that's 80% of how we make our living.[/quote]
Debatable. I saw some of the peanuts and rats coming in last year on my trip to SD. However I do fully support tipping crew for job well done. I just hope $5 dollars ain't the going rate on 2-3lb yellows or 8lb tuna.

Like mentioned in a previous post if its a one time trip per year then load up if its gonna get eaten. I'm still enjoying sushi grade fish from labor day weekend. When I get close to my next trip I will pressure cook and jar whatever's left to clear the freezer. Be thankful you guys live close enough to not need shipping. I turned in over a 1000lbs in sept for 29 fish kept on my 6 day. 4 fish we're jerky and to get them back to Colorado netted 450lbs fillets and a $1700 total bill. Yikes. But every bite has been damn worth itand family and friends love me sharing fishthat hahasn't been "doctored" for the seafood case. Good luck

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
JJ that is a lot of $ for fish. 1000 lbs on a 6 day is epic though that is most I have heard of for a under 7 day in awhile.

I am in a situation where I don't really eat cooked fish(blame my parents for making me stay at the table when I was 7 years old for three hours until I "finished" my fish) . I eat Sashimi/sushi at times but that is the extent of it. Give me a good pizza :) Currently have a freezer filled with BFT ,YFT,YT and I have given a ton away. With my 15 day next week I am thinking of keeping only one or two YFT and any whoo I catch and release the rest. Give some to friends ,neighbors and church . Give the rest a second chance.
I know sometimes in the past I have gotten into a "fish slayer" mindframe- and just kind of zoned into killing it all. Then I get back to the dock and have so much fish and not sure what to do with it as well as a hefty bill for fish I don't really eat or I am not sure who to give it to.

Think I am going to go back to my EC surf striper days where I released every single fish for 20 years. Including 45-50 lb stripers.

Anyway I went off tangent. As far as the openers question. On a average 3 day expect a 150-250 bill from the processors.

Upvote 0

moranmd

Aug 27, 2012
Morrilton, AR, USA
Name
Matt
Boat
Jenny Lynn
(QUOTE) Like mentioned in a previous post if its a one time trip per year then load up if its gonna get eaten. I'm still enjoying sushi grade fish from labor day weekend. When I get close to my next trip I will pressure cook and jar whatever's left to clear the freezer. Be thankful you guys live close enough to not need shipping. I turned in over a 1000lbs in sept for 29 fish kept on my 6 day. 4 fish we're jerky and to get them back to Colorado netted 450lbs fillets and a $1700 total bill. Yikes. But every bite has been damn worth itand family and friends love me sharing fishthat hahasn't been "doctored" for the seafood case. Good luck[/quote]

I am taking my first LR trip this summer and had already calculated processing costs for what I hope to bring home. But the shipping costs sound crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper ways to get fresh fish home, in this case from CA to Arkansas. Obviously I don't expect to have 450lbs of processed fish to ship, but could easily imagine having 100lbs

Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Hmmmmm... I may echo some people's previous comments here. If so, I apologize in advance.

First off, if you are on a trip that goes longer than 3 days, it is against Mexican law for the crew to filet your fish for you. The long range boats won't break that rule. The shorter trips, maybe they would filet your fish for you if you ask.

Guess what? Still a bad idea as far as I'm concerned.

If you have never used one of the San Diego fish processors, you need to discard whatever preconception you might have. This is not poorly cut, inconsistently refrigerated filets frozen in ziplock bags. You won't open it up in a couple of months and ask yourself "why does this smell like that?" In other words, this is not the fish your neighbor caught on his private boat and doesn't want. No, what you will get is restaurant quality fish, in many cases sushi grade. The boats do a GREAT job of storing your fish so that it comes off the boat almost as if it just came out of the water. The processing houses put your fish right into ice water slush bins, and process them with great care and skill.

You're spending a lot of money to go fishing. If you use a processor, you will come home with fish that is so fresh and delicious, you'll wonder why you don't normally eat more fish. Unless you are truly an expert at cutting and packing your own fish---and very few people are---no other option comes close.

If you ask me for a recommendation, I will tell you to use Five Star. All of the processors do a good job. Heck, an excellent job. But I have had better and more personalized customer service from Five Star than from any other business I've ever patronized, anywhere in the world.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
[/quote]

I am taking my first LR trip this summer and had already calculated processing costs for what I hope to bring home. But the shipping costs sound crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheaper ways to get fresh fish home, in this case from CA to Arkansas. Obviously I don't expect to have 450lbs of processed fish to ship, but could easily imagine having 100lbs[/quote]

Shipping 100lbs of fillets will likely cost $100-$150 through southwest airlines. Five Star will box em up after a deep freeze and drop them off at SW air cargo on Monday through Thursdays. You pick it up at your airport assuming SW fly's there at the cargo carrier. Fish will be frozen hard as a rock still. I highly recommend. I've cargo shipped with 5star on two occasions now and both have been flawless. Here's a pic of what the shipping boxes look like

Attachments

• IMG_20130927_140439_366.jpg
    IMG_20130927_140439_366.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Fishybuzz
Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Just got my fish delivered from 5 Star from my 14 day trip via airfreight Southwest Airline……..processing and shipping was perfect in every way shipping cost about $1 a pound.

I live in Tucson and have been using 5 Star 3 or 4 times a year for 6 years……great service every time.

Upvote 0