Jdouglas

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2009
Lake Elsinore. United states
Name
Jesus
Boat
17' holiday center console
Left Friday July 31 to baja. Crossed border at tijuana soon as we made a right going towards tijuana beach got pulled over for tinted windows wtf! If you go down there have a stash for your cash in your vehicle and only carry what you want to donate to crooked police. We went fishing Saturday for tuna no luck. Sunday went fishing for white sea bass no luck either. Sea bass would follow jigs to boat but wouldn’t strike. We managed to pick up some bottom fish. Left Sunday to go home after fishing. Crossed border through san ysidro 4 hr wait time. Got home 6am Monday morning. Tight lines everyone be safe. This trip was a learning curve for me.

Dogman619

Nov 6, 2012
Bahia de los Angeles. Spring Valley
Name
Chris
Boat
Sea Pro 18DC
Buddies got taken for over a g 3 weeks ago coming through tj. Pulled him over cuz his truck looked to new could have possibly been stolen is what the cop said. As he took their money out of their wallets, he asked what can you do for me and then proceeded to keep all the cash. Handed back empty wallets and said have a nice day. So. Avoid TJ if you can.

Reactions: Cubeye

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Buddies got taken for over a g 3 weeks ago coming through tj. Pulled him over cuz his truck looked to new could have possibly been stolen is what the cop said. As he took their money out of their wallets, he asked what can you do for me and then proceeded to keep all the cash. Handed back empty wallets and said have a nice day. So. Avoid TJ if you can.
Wow, there's more to that story, if true, that is not being disclosed.

As for tinted windows, yes they are illegal. The fine is this. Police must remove the tint on the spot and give you a $800 peso ticket. That ticket will reduced to $200 pesos at the court house with the judge.

castone001

Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
last time I was pulled over in Mexicali and after the cop thoroughly went through my truck and all he could come up with was a leatherman tool that he insisted was over the 3" limit LOL! I asked what can we do he told me 80.00 now or go to the judge. I told him OK fine ill follow you lets go! He got a little pissed, demanded we take care of it there. I stood my ground siad lets go see the judge. He gave me back my license and knife and told me to get out of Mexicali.

Guess its all in how comfortable you feel to stand your ground and how much time you have?

Jdouglas

Jul 28, 2009
Name
Jesus
Boat
Next time will keep fishing cash separate from my factory window tint infraction. Maybe cross through a different part of border. I will continue to fish baja figured 15 years of going it was my turn to pay the fee!

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Memorize this: "Yo habla solamente malo Espanol. Escribe me boleto porfavor"
Works every time, assuming you really have done nothing wrong.

ALWAYS STORE MONEY some place safe....not in your wallet! Keep $20 in your wallet for the mordida.

Jdouglas

Jul 28, 2009
Name
Jesus
Boat
Memorize this: "Yo habla solamente malo Espanol. Escribe me boleto porfavor"
Works every time, assuming you really have done nothing wrong.

ALWAYS STORE MONEY some place safe....not in your wallet! Keep $20 in your wallet for the mordida.
Thank you! Will do from now on. Love fishing baja!

waynem

Dec 8, 2011
Cardiff, CA USA
Name
wayne mod
Boat
kayak
A couple things on this subject.
It is illegal in Mexico (and you can be put in jail) to pay the "mordida", which can be considered bribing a police officer.
The best thing to do, as was already mentioned, is to insist on being taken to the station to pay the fine. Most of the time the officer will send you on your way because he knows that, once at the police station, he will not profit from you.
Going through Mexicali can be as bad (or worse) than going through Tijuana.
A few years ago, my brother and I were driving south through Mexicali. We were a few miles outside the main part of the city, and were just starting to relax. Suddenly I clearly saw a police car in my rear view mirror come swerving over like a shark on the scent of blood. I had done nothing wrong, but they pulled us over, had us get out and put our hands on the back of the truck, then proceeded to search us and the truck, pulled out a 6 inch knife (which was not mine,...it was planted by the crooked cop), then handcuffed us, took out our wallets and everything in them....pretty unnerving at this point. There were three of them, all without their name/badge numbers on their shirts. We finally caved and gave them $40.00 (after he initially said it would be a $500 fine for carrying a knife inside the truck).
Needless to say, this put a pretty big damper on the start of our trip. I reported the incident to the Mexican consulate when I got back to the U.S. (with help from Discover Baja club). Nothing will come of it I'm sure, but I couldn't just let it go this time. Oh, yes, we've been stopped in Tijuana and Mexicali many, many times over the years, but never put in handcuffs like this time.
Baja can be the best and the worst...just have to be careful and be ready for anything.

1 Ola Mas

Apr 24, 2010
Looking at the Coronados from the patio...
Name
WoodEye
Boat
15' Gregor 25hp Mariner
Look up Sindicatura. Print out that word, the phone number and city and tape it to the back of your DL. The smart traveler puts a pronounced crease in the scotch tape so when the turd takes your DL he cant help but feel the crease and turns your DL over. The look on his face will be priceless. Guaranteed!
11D2677F-A4F0-4A02-BCD7-D34E629B7185.png

Last edited:

apple harbor

PINCHE GUERO
Mar 18, 2007
SEAL BEACH,BAJA MALIBU MEX
Name
anthony motshagen
Boat
26skipjack liki tiki
Each Municipal has Sindicatura in Ensenada dialing from MEX +52 646 176 2222 8am to 4pm...when an unsavory cop stumbles upon the fact that his victim is aware of and has the ability to report the cops ...it gives the impression that this is not your every day gringo..(which can't hurt)..Making a complaint in the local cop shop can hold little water especially if the capitan takes kick backs from his officers.But complaining to a different department that may investigate can maybe intimadate bad cops...In retrospect there have been cops with bad raps but for what ever reason they continue Harrass people.It is still something to have on your person.

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
I was coming back from Eriendira where my house is thru Tecate and I got pulled over witb my Daughter and my dogs in my truck and the cop says I ran a stop sign and I told him you can do better than that and I started laughing , he asked me to get out of my truck and wr walked back 30 yards and sure as shit I ran a stop sign , I looked at him and said im sorry and i`ll stop twice at the next one , well that went over like a lead ballon so I got back to my truck and handed him eighty dollars and I drove off , i`ve never noticed this stop sign after all these years its by the railroad tracks when the road veers off to the left , never had any issues since , we had seven seabass last week up to 50 lbs it was a early morning bite I fished with my son in law Edgar Castro

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The father in law of my youngest is a TJ moto cop. I will ask him about Sindicatura and it's current status. When it first came out it was determined that it could bring you more trouble than worth. I've paid mordida when I was wrong back 10 years ago. Now I just argue with them :D.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I was coming back from Eriendira where my house is thru Tecate and I got pulled over witb my Daughter and my dogs in my truck and the cop says I ran a stop sign and I told him you can do better than that and I started laughing , he asked me to get out of my truck and wr walked back 30 yards and sure as shit I ran a stop sign , I looked at him and said im sorry and i`ll stop twice at the next one , well that went over like a lead ballon so I got back to my truck and handed him eighty dollars and I drove off , i`ve never noticed this stop sign after all these years its by the railroad tracks when the road veers off to the left , never had any issues since , we had seven seabass last week up to 50 lbs it was a early morning bite I fished with my son in law Edgar Castro
I think you are talking about the same stop sign that I am thinking about.

I always tell my buddy, who drives, that when going through Tecate, he has to make a COMPLETE stop at all stop signs, and it's the law that you make a complete stop at every railroad crossing. It doesn't matter if is marked or not.

Well, he sorta makes a complete stop at the stop signs, but not the railroad crossings.

A year or so ago, I see a new stop sign at the railroad crossing that you described. My buddy sees the sign, and hits his brakes but doesn't stop. 30 seconds later, there's the cop behind us. The cop is an older guy, high pitched voice, and speaks good English. He has a rookie cop with him. He proceeds to tell us that we went through the stop sign. After a couple of minutes or chit chat, we offer him $20. He goes back to his truck, pulls out his Code Book, hands it to driver, and tells him to slip the money into the book. He tells us to be careful and drive safe.

The next time we pass through Tecate, the stop sign is gone.

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
It must suck for the cops that they have to keep taking down that sign!

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
This is a shot of the Tecate money maker. The ALTO sign is at the lighted intersection where you turn right to go to the border. Notice the railroad crossing sign above the ALTO. The railroad tracks are about 100 yards down after you make the right turn. Even with a green light a full stop must be made. It’s so confusing because the RR crossing sign is facing forward before the turn. It’s a total scam.
I’ve been pulled over for not making a stop there on the green light. After a 1/2 hour of refusing to pay the cop off and arguing that the RR crossing sign was not facing the track he finally realized I was a waste of his time. He let me go with a warning about needing to stop even on a green light.
Fast forward a year later. Same intersection, green light and I make a stop before turning. I get rear ended by a local who doesn’t need to stop. Her car not so good my trailer hitch ball a little paint on it.
Be safe and don’t give them F-er’s any cash.
Pay at the station or not at all.

0EEA4278-2374-4BF3-B82C-B354AF92316C.png

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
It just isn't worth the hassle. Sometimes people get pulled over by someone that is wearing a cop uniform but is not a cop. Then you are really in trouble.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
This is a shot of the Tecate money maker. The ALTO sign is at the lighted intersection where you turn right to go to the border. Notice the railroad crossing sign above the ALTO. The railroad tracks are about 100 yards down after you make the right turn. Even with a green light a full stop must be made. It’s so confusing because the RR crossing sign is facing forward before the turn. It’s a total scam.
I’ve been pulled over for not making a stop there on the green light. After a 1/2 hour of refusing to pay the cop off and arguing that the RR crossing sign was not facing the track he finally realized I was a waste of his time. He let me go with a warning about needing to stop even on a green light.
Fast forward a year later. Same intersection, green light and I make a stop before turning. I get rear ended by a local who doesn’t need to stop. Her car not so good my trailer hitch ball a little paint on it.
Be safe and don’t give them F-er’s any cash.
Pay at the station or not at all.

View attachment 1181325
If you were to go straight at that intersection, would you not drive over some railroad tracks?

Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
Not sure if there are tracks straight ahead. Seems I always turn at that intersection.

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Not sure if there are tracks straight ahead. Seems I always turn at that intersection.
Satellite images of the City show that if you go straight at that intersection, you do cross the railroad tracks. So that sign may be for traffic going straight. It also shows that if you turn right, as most people do to cross the border, you cross the tracks three times.

If there's no stop sign at those three RR crossings, you could get a ticket. I believe there's a stop sign at only one.

Reactions: michael e. bingham