dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
New LoAn 2.75 11.12-11.15 2019 (Second Report-CA Version)

Captain Adam, Co-Cap Lorn, Chef Charles, Louie, Matt and Country aka Craig

22 Anglers. 19 Oregonians. 3 Cali’s.

35 BFT 30-100#’s, most in the 40-60# range. 4 @ 80-100#’s. 1 @190#’s. [email protected] 323#’s

93+ YFT 20-60#, most in the 30-40# range.

I met 3 first time BFT fishing Oregonians; Joe, Jen and Ryan last year on the NLA. I knew they were fishy people instantly by their enthusiasm and energy on the rail even when their sardines were straight up and down making tuna-like death circles. After some gear adjustment and a little BFT show and tell even Forest Gump would’ve been proud of how fast they could get their dines to run from the hull to the bite zone. 10-12 anglers got skunked that day but not the 3 Oregonians. I told you they were fishy. Fast forward to the present I meet 16 more Oregonians and 2 of their Cali friends and by their faces and gear I can see that they all got the bug. We leave the port around 1PM hoping to stop and play with the smaller YFT at the 302-SSK then head to the main tuna zone at the Butterflies. 302-SSK was a desert so we forged westward and onward. After dinner a few of us fished flatfalls hoping to break the No Night Bite pattern. We tried but the pattern held and couldn’t be broken yet…I’m hoping the next New Moon will switch the Night/Dark Bite finally back on. 11.13, Wednesday, All of us are on deck by 5:15AM with eyes wide open and ready for battle. It’s still dark, sunrise is 6:22, so mostly glow jigs working the water with no reaction to the metered school below. Per Captain Adam’s no nonsense and no wait practice for metered tuna teasers, he yells for us to wind them up after just 10-15 minutes of wet lines. Time and experience has wired his brain to the urgency of locating the biters not teasers during the Magic Hours. This is one trait that separates and distinguishes him from the many good captains in our fleet. 6:15AM the school is 180-200’ below. Matt sprays the water with rhythmic drops of small but mighty dines as we slide to a stop. At first we grab our flatfalls and sinker rigs but in seconds Adam yells out, “they’re at 120’-100’ and moving up fast and all around us”. We’re in what Adam calls the “Soup”. We all switch to bait using #4 Circle Mutu’s and 40# fluoro. I am fortunate and get the honors of being bit first and yell “Fresh One” as my 65# braid sings sweetly from my Avet JX and my Calstar 800M bends with tried and tested confidence. Within minutes there’s whooping and hollering all along the rail later to be followed by sounds of agony for some and victory for others. My BFT 60#er hits the deck in about 10 minutes. To enjoy the mayhem, momentum and madness I hook and hand my next 5 fish to Oregonians and a Cali that came to dance with the BFT and YFT. Once they felt and got to know the steps, it was game over as they put 25+ more fish on the deck and in the hull. The drift only lasted til about 4PM, a mere 10 hours! When a skippie bit our kite rig that was the signal to move to drift number 2. It was a 1 hour drift with 30-50# YFT mainly and a few standout 90-100# Aaron knife jigged BFT. We ended the first day with 32 BFT and 84 YFT. Amazing day.

11.14, Thursday. After spending a peaceful night in Pyramid Cove off SCI we’re back to the zone by 5AM but the conditions have changed. Instead of metered schools there were just single or scattered marks showing on the screen. The 5-6 boats in the area were also quiet with little or no biters reported. So from 5AM to 11AM we ran due west, zig zagged northeast and angled back southeast. Big Boys, 200-300#ers were being metered 300-400’ down. Something about this school rang in Adam’s ear and told him to stop. I’m pretty sure that there were other schools in our 6 hour search that showed on sonar but they didn’t talk to him. This one did. Some of us drop down 300g flatfalls and iron to 300-400’, others toss dines and the crew get the kite rigged and out over the water. Within minutes 200-300# canon ball flashes of white water intermittently tease us too far to cast but not too far for our kite fish. It’s beloved Birdman Pete’s turn on the kite and blowups are immediate but it’s lookers not takers. Small flashes of white break the surface then suddenly there’s a massive blowup and it’s game on. Pete, Kevin and Louie we’re engaged and in battle for the next 70-80 minutes. Adam and crew quickly get kite number 2 out into the zone. Ben’s number for the kite is called next and he’s a bit reluctant like a guy asking a girl for a first date. He’s excited but unsure of the outcome…He looked like a sheep waiting to be sheared at the rail. Then Matt handed him the bent kite rod and slowly but surely layers peel and I see he’s a wolf. 30 minutes later his fourth Bluefin ever and personal best hits the deck, a 190# beast. It’s 60+ minutes into the battle; Birdman, Keith and Louie are still in the port stern corner deadlocked at color with time now favoring the prey. As soon as a fin breaks the surface this beast pushes and wills itself another 50’ deep doing everything in its power to pull the hook. 10 minutes become 15 more and wills and line are being tested with the prey likely and ready to break free. The beast is a good foot under the surface nearing the corner when Matt sticks him like a stingray followed by Louie, then Country and Charles with gaff number 4. These 4 got this beast to the rail but got stuck and couldn’t lift the beast over so 2-3 guys rushed in to finally end the battle. It wasn’t a cow like I had thought from observing it in the water. It was a Super Cow, 80.75” X 57” and weighing 323#’s on land. Second day count; 3 BFT, 9 YFT and one heckuva live front row seat of a lifetime to a Nat Geo Show.

We nicknamed Pete, Birdman, because day one he personally landed 7 birds, assisted countless others (3 for me) and kept the flock around us by feeding them by hand whenever we moved. See pic. We also have to call him, 323, to remind us that he can catch fish too when he’s not catching birds. Most Fish Award goes to fishergirls Jenn and Barb with 14+ the first day. Jenn in kindness gave her fishy significant other, Joe, a pity handoff to finish day two. Comeback Award goes to the Bow Boys; Ian, Huan, Ben and Chris. From zero to hero they helped fill the hull with Ben’s 190#er the icing on the cake. Most Hookups day one goes to Charter Master Rod for 11/16 or 12/17 if we count the skippy. I was second place going 10/13 just a few fish behind. 6th Man Award goes to Keith for doing the unsung dirty work; securing, lifting and leveraging the rod on the rail, in landing Pete’s 323. Pretty sure Keith was as equally tired as Pete even though he hid it. I would’ve been. Last Man Standing Award goes to Aaron. At the end of the day there’s regularly just one or a handful fishing to land one more. There were 5 of us on the rail the last night; Alan was fishing with his setup cleverly strapped to the rail like a troll rod, I was thinking about what to break down, Rod was still working his jig but nearing E or empty on the tank, Pete was making the motions but his eyes were glazed, somewhere else, probably still in disbelief of his 323, and Aaron was still pumping his knife jig like it was 9AM on the first day not 9PM of our last.

Biggest Mistake. If you’re on the 5 going 80 mph and hit the brakes hard there’s going to be a wreck guaranteed unless you’re driving a 911. So far, Porshe doesn’t make reels. These were bigger units, even the YFT were bigger and meaner so at bite, takeoff, they’re ripping to almost birdnest speed. I didn’t walk around the boat with a counter but I estimated that 40-50 bites were broken off because of two mistakes: 1. Too excited and pushed the lever to full strike, pounded the brakes, broke off. 2. Drag set at 30%-33%. You don’t slam your brakes on the 5 so don’t slam the lever on your reels. Ease into the hookset like you’re braking on the road and let the Circles catch the corners. If you’re the excitable type and can’t control yourself; set your drag at 20-25% then there’s a 50/50+ chance that you’ll be okay when you push the lever to strike after counting to 3.

Oregonians BFT Fever started off as mild but after this prolonged exposure it has now advanced to severe and epidemic proportions imho. I’ve been told by my Doctor that for some it’s fortunately an incurable virus. Not 100% sure if they’ve got the same virulent strain as me but am 99% certain. They’re locking up charters already for next year…

He is good.

Joe and Jenn aka Fishergirl.jpg Birdman Pete Pic.jpg

Upvote 0

Quiet Riot

Oct 15, 2018
Oregon
Name
Joe
Boat
Striper
Happy to fish with you any day Danny. You're welcome up here on my boat any day as well. Those kite fish sure brought another level to the fish I've been getting down there the previous couple years.

Reactions: dtfisherman
Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Happy to fish with you any day Danny. You're welcome up here on my boat any day as well. Those kite fish sure brought another level to the fish I've been getting down there the previous couple years.

Hey Joe,
Great to share the rail with you and your fishergirl, Jen. I appreciate the opportunity and look forward to a Northern day(s) on the water.
Now that you've experienced the kite fish level. The next level is pulling the cows and super cows on your own non-kite setup. That'll I guarantee make your blood flow...

Reactions: Quiet Riot
Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
I have to make a publication correction. The trio that landed the 323 was: Pete, Keith and Louie. Not Kevin. Seems like Oregonians all look tuna-like. It's like telling the difference between a Bluefin and Yellowfin. Especially the 60#ers look almost the same unless you look real close at the pectoral and anal fin. The pectoral fin on a Yellowfin can bend and reach the eye at all times. Most times the Bluefin pectoral fin is too short to bend to the eye. The anal fin color is the definitive factor in knowing YFT or BFT. The BFT anal fin is always white while the YFT anal fin is always yellow. Sorry, I forgot to look at Keith and Kevin's anal fin...

BLUEFIN FIN NAMES.jpg

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Nice write-up Danny, Fun! Really glad you hopped on with us. Hope you can make next year's trip, already booked the whole boat again. November 14 - 17, New Moon is November 14. Should be Good!

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
Nov 9, 2015
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Danny
Boat
None
Nice write-up Danny, Fun! Really glad you hopped on with us. Hope you can make next year's trip, already booked the whole boat again. November 14 - 17, New Moon is November 14. Should be Good!

Arigato but not able to go next year Brother, 15th's a Sunday. I get to fish Monday through Saturday and get to go to Church on Sunday. Whenever I press my luck and try to sneak in a Sunday to fish. He patiently and unquestionably reminds me by smell that I've been given 6 specific days. Smell? Yes, smell. Instead of coming home with fish and smelling fishy. I return every time with a skunk and smelling thioled terrible. He's used a little white striped black creature to humble this animal to finally and willingly submit, trust and respect His will ...

Good days

Reactions: pauly1010
Upvote 0

negitoro

Jun 19, 2012
villa park, ca
Name
bruce
Boat
ISLANDER, NEW LO-AN
Another great write up DT. Of course, your catch is what I expect out of you. Nice! Can't believe it's late November and we didn't get a chance to fish together this season. I might try and get out one more time. If I can, I'll let you know.

Upvote 0