Epic Trip on the Poseidon 10/24-10/28

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by TheMarlinHunter, Oct 29, 2018.

1. TheMarlinHunter

TheMarlinHunter Member

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    ZX 20 Skeeter Bass Boat
    Forgive me if this is the wrong spot for this report. I’m not sure wether this is considered a long range trip or not. Me and 2 friends decided to make the trip down to San Diego to fish a 3.5 day trip on the Poseidon our of Seaforth Landing. This was our first trip of this kind so we were clueless on what to bring and what we were fishing for. The boat left at 8pm and we were informed that we would spend the night traveling down to Mexico. Thank god I had my passport with me because I had no idea we’re going over the border. The next morning my friend woke me up at 6:30 am and told me a troll rod went off and we already had 2 tuna in the boat. I don’t think I have ever gotten out of bed so quick in my life. We fished for about 5 hours and only caught 2-3 more fish on the charter. My twin friends spirits were a little down after seeing reports of boats catching 200+ tuna a day. I reassured them that this was day 1 out of 3 and that things will hopefully turn around. At about 2:30 boy did things turn around. The captain called over the intercom and said there was a large kelp paddy up ahead that had jumpers. We stood around the bait tank as the deckhands filled the auxiliary wells with lively sardines. As soon as my bait was in the water I was but and after a decent fight I had my first yellowfin in the boat. I was usin a tranx 400 and a shimano Terez rod. This was a great combination for these 15-20lb fish. The bite stayed strong and we ended our first day with 170 YFT in the boat. That night we voted to fish Mexico for one more day and get our limit of YFT or head up north and fish bluefin the next 2 days. The majority voted to stay in Mexico. The next day we found the school early and it was long before we had our limit of YFT. We also caught a bunch of skipjacks and my asshole friend thought it would be a good prank and put every skip jack on he caught on my number -_- so I ended up with about 20 of those little fuckers. Oh wel I learned they actually taste great if you can em and make tuna fish sandwiches. After limiting on YFT we began the 12 hour trip up to the bluefin grounds. We had no idea what to expect as we had never gone bluefin fishing ever. My dumbass did not know that live bait fishing was the main way to catch these fish. We probably spent at least $500 on flat fall jigs since we thought that was the main way to catch these fish. We only fished flatfalls from 5 am to 7 am then it was all live bait. We were not equipped with the right gear for live bait fishing that was for sure but we tried anyways. I was fishing a Tac12 on a 50-80 lime class terez. We saw plenty of bluefin jumping soon they started biting. The boy ended up landing 8 bluefin with one guy catching 4/8. Idk what we were doing wrong but neither me or my two friend could get bit even though we were fishing the same 65lb braid and 30lb blackwater leader the guys who were catching fish were using. That’s fishing for ya though and honestly even though we couldn’t get a BFT the idea that all three of use were bringing home 10 YFT each and a bunch of skipjacks our big smiles on our faces. All in all the trip was awesome, food was great the crew was helpful and joked around with us a lot. Being only 22 and owing my own charter boat myself, it was cool to find out that Captain Hunter was only 20! Mad respect for the guy. Definitely can’t wait until next year to try again for another big Bluefin on the Poseidon. One last note the last night of the trip we were very close to the prowler and found out that it had been hit by a huge yacht. Thoughts and prayers out to the families of the ones involved.
    Sorry for the lack of pictures but we were too busy fishin the whole time

51F3A1BB-940E-4D47-B013-1D873E6954A6.jpeg 6A85C5E6-96F0-4197-940B-6B1515DBB92B.jpeg 87CC8EB4-8E07-4C75-B2F1-6D432677EB85.jpeg C9C101D9-10A5-4B02-8C1B-A615C9A52F95.jpeg 53C99630-127B-4523-B84E-61BAE2F00574.jpeg 4B5C4279-700E-4BAA-B3F8-17C969FCED30.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Killin Time

Killin Time Member

Name:
    JT
    Boat:
    Grady-White/ Killin Time
    I would of voted stay in Mex to load op on the YFT, then trek north to go after BFT.
    1. Never leave biting fish to look for others. The boat went down there for a reason. Follow through with it.
    2. US limits are 2 for BFT. I know they are larger now, but that brings me to 3.
    3. If someone gets on a Cow BFT, the whole boat can and will be waiting/ watching them fight their fish with their thumbs up their butts.

So why not load up wile you can. YFT taste great:)

Nice trip, congrats!!

ghetto_dad, kevina, Abusaade and 2 others like this.
  3. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    you might have your thumb up your ass but I'd have a bait in the water

4. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  5. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report and glad you and your buddies got your share! Classic buddy move pinning your number on his skippies!

Thanks for serving our country!

2-5-Triple likes this.
  6. Abusaade

Abusaade Member

When fishing BF, the trick is picking the best swimming bait. If you don’t get bit in a minute, get another one .
    That’s what I learned the past time and got rewarded with a 55 pounder.

7. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    So did that “BIG FISH FUCKER” Actually catch a blue fin?

8. Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo Hugo Bendo

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    unknown
    Excellent ! I wonder IF any of the " HATERS " of this boat

a while back will reply ? Oh ! No ! They're all busy right now

with the Prowler/Attessa thread. Thinking they KNOW IT ALL !

solid72 likes this.
  9. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Don’t hate the boat, or Hunter. Just don’t care for Nicole. I’m glad they hammered the fish and wouldn’t wish failure on anyone.

10. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    she was just protection her Boy, I went on A 21/2 day
    with that guy Joe, and Hunter for A 20 Year Old, Boy is He Good ,
    it sure made the Trip fun, and Ian the Cook from the Indian and Chief
    did the Cooking,

Wandering Blues likes this.
  11. TheMarlinHunter

TheMarlinHunter Member

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    ZX 20 Skeeter Bass Boat
    he was the one who caught 4/8 fish the boat caught

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    jtucker12 likes this.
  12. TheMarlinHunter

TheMarlinHunter Member

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    ZX 20 Skeeter Bass Boat
    Hunter was awesome and Ian was the cook and his food was excellent!

jer dog likes this.
  13. OffshoreGary

OffshoreGary Newbie

Name:
    Gary Edmonds
    Boat:
    Shamrock 219 WA, Kathryn Ann
    My son was on this trip and had nothing but good things to say about Hunter and the crew. He was also lucky enough to get one of the bluefin, too. I was relieved that he got it - I was the one that tied his knots before the trip!!

14. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    That’s a great dad! When I landed my fish, I prayed to everyone and everything my knots were solid.

15. forktail

forktail Fishaholic

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    none
    The deckhands worked their asses off. my hat is off for them. Poor Johnny and Beto spent a half of their time dealing with clogged heads....
    Maybe Ian needs to add more fiber to the breakfast options.

TheMarlinHunter likes this.
  16. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    Wait, you had near limits on day one and still wanted to fish another day of YFT? Those fish will be around every year, the BFT will not. The key to BFT fishing is a good bait AND letting him soak a long time, like 200-300 yds long. Do not recast a new bait unless your current bait isn't swimming or the BFT are blowing up in the corner. And you want to fish the lightest line you can get away with. I would not fish less than 60# nowadays unless you are sure they are all under 100#. I got picked up by a 250# fish on 50# and lost him at the boat some 4.5 hours later. It happened to be the only hookup that day, so most people were watching (honestly it went by real quick for me) but normally people should continue to fish when someone else has a large fish hooked up. I've caught plenty of BFT this way. The boat's sonar won't pick up fish that you get on the long soak, so if the bait is out there, you have a chance, no matter what the sonar shows. Those BFT will circle the boat at 200 yds or so.

17. bassnglass

bassnglass Newbie

Name:
    Ken Schwenck
    Boat:
    19 Fiberform W/Fly bridge "Miss Behavior"
    I fished the Poseidon a few times this year.
    So impressed with Hunter and his young crew.
    His dad told me he didn’t even flinch when he offered him the chance to run a 75ft million dollar boat.
    Jumped at the chance and has been kicking butt.
    You don’t see that out of many 20 year olds.

2-5-Triple and jer dog like this.
  18. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    A great trip, congrats!