Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
We departed Channel Island s at 7 pm . The best Sardines I have ever purchased . It was Monday evening and the clouds had just passed and revealed clear skies . First stop Anacapa . No squid and we are off . Second stop , Hidden Reef . Some squid but an hour later we decided they will not hit a jig . Very thin and lethargic . Third stop put us out past SBI at 4 am . Nap time until 5:30 .
The morning started out with flat seas , 71 degree water , bird activity and a great feeling of this is going to happen . We threw live bait as chum , along with a frozen squid , mackerel mix we made . It was great fishing on the YFT all morning . We had some doubles going between the two of us . The fish ranged from 15 smallest and kept getting larger to about 30 pounds . We had 9 tuna by 10 am . I fished 30 , buddy fished 40 . They wanted the flyline . I also hooked a marlin on the dean . Had him on for 5 minutes before he cut it off . He was jumping the whole time . The fishing slowed down at 1030 . The wind started to threaten . We decided to run back .
We ran about 15 miles at higher speeds to beat the wind while it was still flat . I watched marlin jump all through that area around SBI . We worked some rare Porpoise . Not dolphin ! They were not holding anything so we kept going . Weird to see Porpoise !
The weather went to complete garbage 10 miles South of Anacapa ! It went to 3 foot chop and we wore it the rest of the way home . That is a really long haul if you get caught ! Im so glad we left early . It would have been hell getting back . We still had smiles knowing our Ice Chests were loaded. The inside looked devoid of any life .
Heres a couple shots of the fish . My buddy is the one who landed the larger one and I do not have a shot of his . But the grade sure beats footballs !

20151006_093105_resized.jpg

20151006_170431_resized.jpg

tplass

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 2, 2012
HB
Name
Tom
Boat
Yak
I was out there yesterday, so good. Nice haul :hali_olutta:

Reactions: WILLIEJEANS

BassAssasin805

Nov 18, 2011
Santa Paula CA.
Name
Sean Blackshear
Boat
Lil Mijo, 2015 Ranger 240 Bahia
Awesome! Glad you had a great day and good call on leaving early. The weather sucked in the afternoon!

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Hell yeah! Nice work going the distance. The quality looks worth it.

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Long run = nice payday, well done!

Just sucks when the weather comes up like that with so many miles in between. Glad you guys decided to head for the barn early.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Nice! SBI is a bit of a drive....
You have to nail the weather and swell direction . You can really get your ass handed to you coming back if you get it wrong . Its tough from Long beach too . Uphill at night really sucks . We were fortunate .

Reactions: Bubba

Brewer Tim

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2003
Camarillo
Visit site
Name
Tim
Boat
Old pos
We were headed that direction and had some electrical problems. We knew the wind was coming up at 2:00 and we had a older non fisherman on board. We thought it best to abort the mission. Wouldn't have got to Osborn until about 7:30. Planned to fish until noon. Headed to backside of cruz for not much of anything. We would have got stuck in the crud for at least three hours coming home. Sometimes discretion is better than valor.

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Fantastic report and pics!

salty nuts

Jun 2, 2004
Camarillo
Name
Tim Mohawk
Boat
25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
That's why you go out of MDR...no beatings...

CI CA

The dogs name is "Tuna"
Jul 7, 2015
Channel Islands Harbor
Name
Kipp
Boat
"Therapy" 38' Luhrs
Awesome!

That is a long ride in the dark, longer ride back when it’s rough, glad it was worth it, some nice fish.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Get some quick , could be over in a snap . Wahoo is on the menu now . Stand by .

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
please send them back our way.

Nice fish.
...you've got to be kidding me right?

You guys had months and months of multiple pelagic opportunities down south, including giant bft for weeks on end, followed by multiple months of yft and dorado, and now wahoo. The 805 finally has a legitimate shot at a rare species so close to home and you want us to send them back!

I'll send you something... all the brown rockfish you could possibly want year-round.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
How cool would that be if the BFT over wintered here all year ? El Nino can last a decade for all any of the scientist know . We may be getting back into the cycle like the old timers used to have . Catching Giant BFT out of avalon . Wrapping schools of 500 pound BFT at the Channel Islands . It sounds like a dream , but it is possible that this is the new "NORMAL" . There is a huge amount of bait in our area so It doesn't look like they will have a reason to leave . Let's hope that when the Santa Ana winds blow down across our waters it heats up enough for the Wahoo to join the party . No more brown rockfish for dinner !

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
Jul 25, 2009
Hell, CA
Name
Phil
Boat
Saving for one...
It does seem surreal. I have seen reports of Dorado here and there through the years but never yft! Let's not talk about wrapping schools of tuna.....lol. Isn't that coming to an end?

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Was that on a meter mark stop or breaking fish? Thanks for the report..
Yes . Meter marks above a solid bait ball on the bottom . We could see what they were doing . We had fish breaking every couple minutes the entire morning . A huge hole opened up right next to my kite bait but it missed . Looked like a bigger model .