Spanky79

Happiest on the water
Oct 27, 2018
palm desert
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can get on
I had been wanting to fish the San Diego for a while now, but always went for the boats with bunks because I am usually on little to no sleep due to work and how far I live from the dock.

I spent the day in O.C. and decided to just nap in the car at the landing. Matt had posted he was going no matter how many signed up. We ended up with a 6 pack. Cant get any better conditions to fish bluefin the this.

We leave the bait barge about 6am. We are told the fish were between 25 and 35 miles out. Sweet 2.5 to 3.5 hours out.

3 hours later we made a drift that wouldn't stick with us. So off we go again. Just about lunch time someone orders a hamburger and would you know it, the boat slows down. I hear these are big fish throw heavy bait.

The crew was adamant about having the right gear, that turned out to be a fathom 40 or equivalent size reel, a stiff rod, 2/0 circle hooks, a rubber banded 4oz torpedo sinker just about the mono to flouro knot. Flouro ranged from 50 to 80.
A few minutes into the drift Doug the chef hooks up, he said here take this. I grab the rod and watch the line scream off the reel, it never stopped.
Back to my own gear I go. Not long after that 2 of us get bit and it's on. My rail fishing technique leave something to be desired, so I gas quickly. Deck hand James was right there with me to help. We switched back and forth for 20 plus minutes. Then there came a point that I was beat and James was determined to kill this fish. About 20 minutes later the other fish hooked guys the deck. Turned out to be a 160# fish. Now we know why this fish is kicking our asses. A few minutes later l Matt warns us that we need to out the pressure on this fish before we get chewed off. We get the fish to deep color just long enough to see he is about 150#. 30 seconds later we get bit off.
We figured this was my fault, I should of been using 60 lb mono instead of 50.
Well, that's fishing, let's try again.
I re-tye another piece of 50 lb flouro and in the water I go. Deind figure out the was the mistake the fish time until later.
I am now standing at the rail slowly letting the 4oz sinker do it's job. About 5 plus minutes go buy, I am having a casual conversation with James and as I turn bu head to look at the reel, my line is ripping. I slide it into gear and turn the handle, fish on.
I learned alot from wstxh James help fish my first fish. Now I am determined to land this fish with our handing on, unless I have to. I immediately flatly the rod and the rail and crank. The fish was staying on the surface, at one point he jumps out of the water, we now think he was tail wrapped but got out of it. I continue to fight the fish another 10 minutes or so until had to take a break. I hand it to one of the other deck hands and he goes to work. He shortly ended up in the corner grinding. When it comes time to gaff the fish he tells me to grab the rod after the fist gaff so he could gaff the fish again. We did, the fish hits the deck thudded. Bingo, a person best for me 110#.

There ended up being 5 more bluefin caught and several lost.

To say it was an epic day is an understatement. 6 people on an 65 foot boat is something that may never happen again.
Thank you to the Captain for taking the gamble with the 6 of us. I know you lost money just to show us a good time. I hope the boat fills up this weekend.

Between the group of guys and the boat and the amazing fishing, this is one for the books. Until next time boys.

20190605_170557.jpg 20190605_165803.jpg

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Great photo of the 7 fish.

Upvote 0

r8rs4lf

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 17, 2017
    Tree Juan ho
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    Salty AF
    BOOM!!!!!

Watch how many heads get on in the next few days..

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    FUCK....I MISSED IT BY ONE DAY!!!!!

Reactions: mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Damn you got so lucky! So jealous!

Upvote 0

Spanky79

Happiest on the water
    Oct 27, 2018
    palm desert
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    anything I can get on
    View attachment 1034239 My dad is still on a high from that trip yesterday. He was prepped to go on the half day. Things change he’s stoked. I packaged it up for him last night. 65 lb and 120 lb.
    he talked about you all day. He was a pleasure to share a rail with. What a decision he made to skip the 1/2 day..
    The man fishes his ass off. We had some laughs too.

Upvote 0